Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Dr. Who returns!! (Page 6)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Dr. Who returns!!
Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Finally, somewhere more expensive than the UK!

I paid �12.99 for series 2.

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Once the "promote the remastered versions as if they are better than sex with sexy uni freshers" hoo-hah had died down, Doug Naylor admitted to being unhappy with the special-editions. He said that they had been promised more money than they had actually received.

Plus there's also the fact that they were given that "film-quality" visual treatment to tie into season 7, and then season 8 went back to normal video.

Of course, now they've got a problem when it comes to season 8. The two times we saw RD in season 7, it was old style, including when it reappeared at the end, but in the following season, it's in the new style, a style which now never existed.

I wonder which style they'll be going with for the movie, or whether it will (most likely) be redesigned again?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Of course, now they've got a problem when it comes to season 8. The two times we saw RD in season 7, it was old style, including when it reappeared at the end, but in the following season, it's in the new style, a style which now never existed."

I don't completely remember the transition from the seventh to eighth seasons (not "series"? Are you going American?), but I do remember that the recreated Captain Hollister commented that the ship was suddenly built according to the original plans, which I took to be an explanation of why the rebuilt (CGI) ship didn't look like the old (model) ship.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yup. At the beginning of 8.1, the ship is actually re-sizing and re-shaping as Starbug is flying thorugh it. By the time they're done, the Dwarf is to its original design specs before all the JMC cutbacks - this means they now have stuff like a quark-level matter/antimatter generator, a ship-wide bio-organic computer network, and even a karaoke bar on C Deck.

Umm, shouldn't this be a DOCTOR WHO thread..?

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For some reason, every book I've read on Red Dwarf always says "season" rather than "series". But then the DVD releases say "series", I think. So, er, yeah.

I had a look at the storyboard images that are up on the net for the movie, and it does look like the CGI Red Dwarf, rather than the original. Shame, but the drawings aren't overly clear, and lots can change between storyboard and shooting.

And, er, some Doctor Who people say "season", and some say "series", and it, er, had 27 seasons. Or series. So there.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Even the American "Red Dwarf" DVDs say "series" on them.
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I finally found my Dr. Who movie on tape and started watching it this morning. Paul McGann is cool and Grace is an uberHottie. Eric Roberts is Eric Roberts with all his lippy Eric Robertsness. I'm once again blown away by the TARDIS interiors. So cool.

The scene where he pulled the cardiac probe out made me cringe.

I also noticed that the control screen at the beginning of the movie showed that the TARDIS' destination was Gallifrey. He must've been taking the Master back home. Question: did the BBC series end with the Master getting killed? Is this movie picking up from that event? Or is it starting after some unknown adventure in which the Master was apparently killed by the Doctor?

"Whatever you're about to do, stop! I'm not human. I'm not like you!"

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At the end of "Survival", the TV series' last story, the Master and the Doc were fighting on the planet of the cheetah people. Upon the planet's destruction, the Doctor said that everyone on it had been transported "home", implying the Master had gone back to Gallifrey. The Doctor ended up on Earth obstensibly because he had adopted it AS his home.

The next time we see the Master is at the beginning of the TV movie, where he looks much younger from under the mushroom cap thing he got vaporized in. As mentioned earlier, most fans accept that he'd found himself another body in the interm, and gotten himself the ability to become all slimy and possesive ove Eric Roberts.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps