Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Stargate: Atlantis cast announced (Page 2)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Stargate: Atlantis cast announced
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, because the Beta Gate is more or less identical to the Alpha gate save for a couple symbols (they used the same prop, anyway). According to Gateworld.com:

"The chevrons are blue on the Atlantis gate, and, of course, the symbols themselves are different in this galaxy. Instead of physically spinning, the inner track spins in a pattern of light. The brightly-lit symbols also rotate around much faster than Earth's gate."

The Alpha gate was supposedly brought there for Ra's personal use in Egypt. Details are sketchy, but we assume that after the ancient Egyptians revolted against Ra, he washed his hands of the planet as he had lots of humans around already. However, the other System Lords ended up using or discovering the Beta gate to bring other cultures through it until as recently as 1000 years ago before they lost THAT one too, by which time they had plenty of stock elsewhere and didn't really care anymore.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the new gate is all CGI, I'm going to be highly disappointed.
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doubt it - but it seems that its operation will be partly a visual effect, which is a little disappointing. I *love* the gate spinning up and locking chevrons in place! But I can see where they're coming from, as the main prop's mechanism is notoriously complicated, loud, and tough to maintain. The stargate prop they bring out for location shooting does not have a moving inner ring.

Full CGI gates are not unheard of, though - the Tollan home-made gate was CGI and somewhat smaller.

Mark

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cartman:
Actually, season 6 and 7 have hinted that

the Ancients evolved on Earth, millions of years before we did...

Let me jsut say: [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

They were talking about "cycles" of evolution - whereby some primates would evolve into a homo sapiens lookalike first, and then after they were gone some OTHER primates would start on a parallel track. Infinitely improbable, but hey - it's science-fiction. [Smile]

Mark

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's actually a horrible concept once used on Voyager of al places.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always figured that we were actually ancients that survived and regressed. But... *shrug*

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Writers that either think viewers are too dumb to know about the fossil record or are ignorant of it themselves.

Besides, Lovecraft did it all first-and best-50 years back.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Adding a Cthulhuesq history aspect would rock a whole lot!

On the other tentacle, Space A&B had the Chigs, which left Earth when Oxygen poisoned the atmosphere.

--------------------
joH'a' 'oH wIj DevwI' jIH DIchDaq Hutlh pagh
(some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps in the morning)
The Woozle!

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

I dont think I'd really site SAAB as precedent for good storytelling...at least not towards the end.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was it COMPLETELY established or just ASSUMED about the corporeal Ancients were originally from Earth?? Maybe Ancient woman that they rethawed was just a colonial?

PLUS - they had to get the naqada from somewhere to build the network - and Earth doesn't HAVE any Naqada as we've found out.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, they had to already have interstellar ship travel, anyway. After all, they had to be able to get to each of the other worlds to put the gates there. So, the naquada could have come from anywhere.
Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course they're going to have a Canadian member:
-Look at where they're filming, for Ghu's sake (est. 6 km from my home)...
-And look at the nationality of some of the actors...
-Besides, having a Canadian on the team might ensure that they ask questions FIRST - and only maybe shoot later...

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seems like a fair amount of scifi shows get filmed somewhere in BC around the Vancouver area... Except Starhunter, that was filmed in Minto, NB. [Smile]
Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's why they call us Hollywood North.

Governor 'I'll be Back' is trying to pass a law stating that Hollywood movies and television must stay in California - that it is unpatriotic to film up here.

Not that it stopped him from starring in '6th Day' which was filmed up here. (BTW, that cool 'coliseum-style' building the villian cloned people in is our new Vancouver library. And the view across the water from the Whisper-pad... not CGI: Vancouver in the Spring.

I just hope we get some snow for the 2010 Olympics - right now (2:49 pm PST, March 8), it's warm enough to walk in t-shirt and shorts...

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps