Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Stargate: Atlantis cast announced (Page 5)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Stargate: Atlantis cast announced
Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah. It's like a TOTALLY DIFFERENT prop now!
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It seems to be a good deal smaller than the Gates from SG-1. If I'm judging the proportions right in the first picture, and if it is in fact the actual prop, then the aperture looks to be only about 1 and a half times the height the actor. The chevrons also appear to be much closer together making it look more like the inaccurate Stargate on the DVD boxes.

I do dig the blue chevrons, though, and I like how the symbols glow. Now show me a DHD!

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Apparently, they'll have remote DHDs installed in their "puddle jumper" craft that are made to go through the stargate. They may still have the traditional DHDs we see in our galaxy, or a variation thereto.

I think the gate is about the same size as the original... It's just perspective and lighting that makes it look smaller. A recent DVD commentary told us that the original gate, at 20' diameter, still doesn't always look that big on screen. There was one episoe where they had Carter standing on TOP of the gate to try to illustrate this... Doesn't help that 1/3 of the gate is buried in the floor most of the time.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm... that's true. Hadn't considered the buried portion.

So here's a barely related question: How are you supposed to dial in the area code for long distance gating if the eighth chevron is buried?

Makes me wonder if they'll ever be gating back to the SGC...

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The producer have said that they aren't ruling out guest appearances from the SG-1 gang, so I'm guessing that they're not going to pull a Voyager on us. They'd better not, in any case. I do hope that at the very least, they'll establish at leastvoice/video comms back home within a season.

And by "buried", I mean the gate is not necessarily BURIED. For the most part, the offworld gates are built into a stand or steps that keep it upright. We know that they often bring a naquadah generator to power the gate if they don't find a DHD; they can hook it up to the gate, unlock the inner ring and dial home that way. Supposedly, the inner ring can rotate if it's in its stand. We just never see it do so because the show's "field" prop can't rotate. I presume that the new Atlantis gates are built in the first place to "spin" in light patterns rather than physically spinning to avoid this.

Mark

--------------------

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

Right. I wasn't talking about the innner ring. I mean the 8th Long Distance Chevron on the lower part of the gate. It's the one they had to dial in to get to Thor's galaxy. They'll also have to use an 8th Chevron to get to the galaxy the new series takes place in.

But on the new Gate, the eighth Chevron is under ground. So, if the new cast ever goes back to Earth, they're going to have to use that Eight Chevron to dial long distance... but we can't see the eighth chevron (or the ninth). See what I mean?

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But, just because we can't see it, that doesn't mean it doesn't still function.
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

True. But I think it would be hard to explain to the audience that the eighth chevron is being used when you can't see it. Not that they couldn't do it, but the bad visual story telling of trying just makes me think they haven't considered needing it. And that makes me wonder how many trips they'll be making back to earth. And my guess is not many.

But maybe they just won't deal with it at all after explaining it in the pilot. Maybe it'll just be "Dial up Earth and send the status report", without even showing the Gate.

Who knows. I'll just have to watch and see [Smile]

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aban Rune:
I just rewatched "Children of the Gods" and realized that they showed the point of origin symbol for Abydos rather clearly. When Frazetti types out the address that Apophys dialed in, the 7th symbol is clearly shown.

Did we ever get a close up of what the 7th symbol on the Beta Gate looked like?

Yes, it was a line (horizon?) with a circle just above it to the left.

Presumably a spring or autumn sun in Antarctica... although I would have though when the Ancients were around Antarctica wouldn't have been where it was - or is that just too short a time in continental drift times?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I too am not too fond of the triangles. Looks like the uniforms to some other sci-fi series' all rolled into one. As long as they don't go changing it.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

I'm wondering if those aren't some kind of "base uniforms" that they only wear while at their home base. I see a camo uniform on some of the team members. Perhaps those are the off-world uniforms.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

I'm told Lt. Ford (the young black guy) is wearing the new camo fatigues for the USMC (and Army?). Major Sheppard seems to be wearing a flight jacket (he's USAF), too. But overall, the field uniforms seem to be the ones with the silly triangles. However, they're usually covered by the utililty webbing, so it's mostly a non-issue. [Smile]

For comparison, SG-1 uses the same outfits, just without the triangles and in green. Around the base, they wear a simplified version of DBU in green and blue. Many of the "guest" SG Teams wear standard BDUs, especially the Marines of SG-3.

Addendum: HERE.

Mark

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
But, just because we can't see it, that doesn't mean it doesn't still function.

Your new sig line?
[Big Grin]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

The patches are cool, but I want to get O'Niell's killa sunglasses. I've always wanted a pair of those.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps