Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Help identify a space ship (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Help identify a space ship
CitizenX
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone recognize which sci-fi movie or series this space ship is from [Confused]

IP: Logged
Warped1701
Back from Vacation
Member # 40

- posted      Profile for Warped1701     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, that's the USS Saratoga from Space: Above and Beyond. Damn shame they cancelled that show.

--------------------
Bender: Well I don't have anything else planned for today, let's get drunk!

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At the risk of sounding just plain silly, I'm going to suggest that this has little or nothing to do with Star Trek. Some movement seems in order, perhaps.
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a decent model of it, and the other things from the show.
http://www.acme360models.com/mycustompage0002.htm

If anyone has any better links with CGI-renders, please let me know.
I used to have a big blue print schematic, showing the Saratoga and all the small-craft.

I heard they made all the visual effects on LightWave. Man, if they'd still been operating, what cool it might've been...
In an interview with the VFX-studio, Area51, they said they'd just gotten the hang of doing nice ship effects and planet renders when Fox cancelled it. *sigh*

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

-

Yeah, how cool it might have been...

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, that guy Nuckel had some more S:AaB-shots on his page! And a gorgeous pic of the SDF-One from Macross.

This I found just now.
http://www.web-worthy.com/saab/behind-hammer.html

CitizenX
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks guys, knew I've seen that ship somewhere before...
IP: Logged
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Augh, I can't stand that ship! It's built with almost no functionality whatsoever, ALL the weapons are on the top side, and it has a huge "hit me!" bridge sticking out of the top. Sure, it was meant to visually cross a battleship with a Star Destroyer, but in my mind it just doesn't work. Yarr!

Nice fighters though. They didn't make much more sense, but at least they looked purdy. Ditto for the ISSCV. [Smile]

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Being a carrier, it's not meant to get directly into a fight, making its weapon and bridge placement less essential.

--------------------
joH'a' 'oH wIj DevwI' jIH DIchDaq Hutlh pagh
(some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps in the morning)
The Woozle!

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A space-carrier designed with "Star Blazers" mentality.
(a big boat in space)

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Manticore
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Manticore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to agree with Mark here; this ship is completely boring; at least a Star Destroy had a few interesting lines; this is a flying brick with greebles all over it...

--------------------
Fell deeds await. Now for Wrath... Now for Ruin... and a Red Dawn...
-Theoden, TTT

Lord Vorkosigan does not always get what he wants!

Nim
Member # 205

-

I don't know, it carries a certain authority with it.
It's the perfect platform for a Pacific War/Fighter Squadron style fiction series.
Besides, it looks more functional and naval than the Galactica, which resembles a pregnant dugong.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does not. I know it's a matter of opinion, but I think that someone took the roof off a house and turned it upside down to make this ship. [Razz]

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Nim
Member # 205

Mr Nguyen (niong?): "ALL the weapons are on the top side"
And the hangers are on the belly of it. Just like an SD.

"it has a huge "hit me!" bridge sticking out of the top".
Well, I haven't seen that since last I looked at a wet-navy carrier...or an SD.

The thing is, the JFK class is built in modules, with easy replacement and upgrade options, as well as configuration. The theme is present in all earth ships of S:AaB; the Hammerheads with their detachable cockpits, the dropships with the container-hulls.
If you build effective, sometimes you have to capitalize on aesthetics.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"this is a flying brick with greebles all over it..."

Spaceships should be flying bricks with greebles all over them, dammit. Me, I've always preferred the gritty, industrial, utilitarian, almost dystopian look of ships like the Omega-class destroyer, the ISD, the Sulaco, and the Saratoga that have every cubic inch of their hulls dedicated to functionality to the bright-shiny-and-smooth-as-a-baby's-bottom designs that riddle Trek but would be better at home in a gallery for modern art...

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps