Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Help identify a space ship (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Help identify a space ship
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
P.W: "those brick looking ships, had they have warp drive onboard...would be the equivelant to using a chainsaw to cut subspace, instead of the razor sharp knives that Star Trek ships use..."

Didn't stop the borg cubes nor the bloody Husnock, or that big Reman ship that's shaped like Zero-G barf.

The streamlining of human ships in Trek is for aesthetic reasons, the explanations for it are added after.
The way I was taught, warp drive formed a bubble around the object and decreased its weight relative to the surrounding environment to practically nil, then pushed the bubble forward.
What's inside the bubble doesn't matter, even if it's shaped like a big parachute.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did we ever see the Saratoga use FTL?
Mabye it was custom built in that area as a a mobile command outpost....

Really, SAAB had lots of technology holes.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nim:
P.W: "those brick looking ships, had they have warp drive onboard...would be the equivelant to using a chainsaw to cut subspace, instead of the razor sharp knives that Star Trek ships use..."

Didn't stop the borg cubes nor the bloody Husnock, or that big Reman ship that's shaped like Zero-G barf.

The streamlining of human ships in Trek is for aesthetic reasons, the explanations for it are added after.
The way I was taught, warp drive formed a bubble around the object and decreased its weight relative to the surrounding environment to practically nil, then pushed the bubble forward.
What's inside the bubble doesn't matter, even if it's shaped like a big parachute.

true...but it was in stript so it has to be real...sorta... [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know what you mean, Wet, it's ok.

Man, looking at the blueprints of the Saratoga (just a "Helium 3 Fusion engine" and two chemical rocket engines, btw), I have a fat crawing for creating a Iowa-class counterpart to the S:AaB Saratoga.

Oh yes, four 1.2GW Laser cannons, two fore/two aft, with a tower in the middle, same layout on the underside. Secondary armament, two 450MW turrets flanking each big turret, and the Kinetic bigass particle cannon in the spine, coaxial like the Imperial Eclipse class.

(Edit) Som'n like this.

-

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The SAAB pilot supposedly established that you could only get around via wormholes that opened only perodically and every few years or something. The Tellus colony mission that whatshisface was on used such a wormhole and he wouldn't be able to get to his wife until several years hence. Then he joins the military and suddenly EVERYONE can go FTL at will, military and civilians.

SAAB was never praised for technical competancy, and it stretched to most level. I mean, really - they were supposedly marine pilots, but they were ALSO special forces, regular grunts, tunnel rats, or warship gunners depending on what episode you were watching. One of the earliest criticisms I heard about the show is that in reality you'd NEVER bother training a single person, even a special forces person, to do all THAT. Also, the size of their squadron was constantly in flux - soldiers would be added or subtracted as the circumstances warranted, usually with no explanation. Anyone remember Winslow? The 58th was just our heroes for the longest while, and then all of the sudden they had her there as if she were there the whole time...

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Nim
Member # 205

*cough*starfleet awaymissions*burf*
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Half-points, there. [Smile] In any given away mission, there's the tactical officer, the science guy, the pilot, the redshirt, etc. In SAAB, *everyone* was an ace pilot, AND a combat hardened infantryman, AND the go-to gunnery crew, AND...

When you captured an alien bomber, would you assign your crack fighter crew to fly the thing? When you need infantry to hold an airfield, do you get the pilots to do it? The SAAB crew were pilots from the get-go, yet they were always doing infantry or naval or whatever jobs. Got me laughing at times, wondering what the gang's indispensible specialty woud be THAT week. [Razz]

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Nim
Member # 205

"When you captured an alien bomber, would you assign your crack fighter crew to fly the thing?"
Yes, they were the most qualified for it and though they were one of the better squadrons, they were by no means unexpendable.

When you need infantry to hold an airfield, do you get the pilots to do it?
They were just supposed to clear out the airborne threat and disable the airfield, they were counting on the real recon and invasion force to come right after them, but those forces were toasted in the very clever trap the chigs had sprung.

"The SAAB crew were pilots from the get-go"

No, they were marines, not airforce. Haven't you seen "Pensacola: Wings of Gold"?
Do the soldiers in that show seem like one-trick ponies to you? Little defenseless ducklings when out of their element (the cockpit)?

Look, I understand your point about the writing staff perhaps taking liberties, but you have to use the main characters for the plots you write.

I knew from the beginning of the show that these guys would cover many versatile roles in many different episodes, not just the same bloody "Airwolf"-battles every week, with stock-material enemy-explosions used over and over again.

All this time I haven't mentioned "suspend all disbelief", be glad for it. [Wink]

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Were I to capture an Alien Bomber I would for sure send both Detective Del Spooner and The Fly to pilot it, with air support from Captain Lone Starr and Cousin Eddie. With Jazz stylings and an early death from Harry Connick Jr, how can it go wrong?
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well...as long as Harry Connick Jr dies, it's all good.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Nim
Member # 205

But he was scary as fuck in Copycat. [Confused]
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Was he?

I've may have exceeded my tolerance for Segourney Weaver movies for this lifetime.....

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps