Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Firefly: Impressions (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Firefly: Impressions
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yesterday afternoon, I picked up "Firefly." I just now finished watching "Objects in Space", the defacto series finale.

Wow. I never saw the show when it first aired, and while I heard the buzz, I never quite "got it" until I watched the show. Wow. I do mean, "WOW." Its so hard to find things to dislike about the show - the space meets western concept, the no sound effects in space shots, the zooming camera shots, and especially the resident hotty Kalee (yum yum).

I wish I had bought the box set back in December, but alas. So many questions about the show, so many things unresolved, FUCK YOU FOX. Who the hell was Book? Early said "He's no Shepard", and the guy always seemed to have the inside track on Alliance operations. And did those dudes with the blue hands and mysterious "Make You Die Slow-Slow Death" glowing wands remind anyone of the Gentlemen from Buffy's "Hush"?

Well ... here's hoping that just as the DVD release convinced Universal to greenlight a feature film, that the success (please?) of the film will convince someone to pick up the series.

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It certainly is a good show. I didn't watch it when it was on, either; maybe that's because it premiered on Fox about the same time as "Fastlane"...

--------------------
Meh

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always thought that Book was a retired Alliance officer -- and probably a pretty senior officer at that. If you want to have the parallels, Book might even have been someone who fought against Mal and Zoe at the Battle of Serenity. After all, he got first-class medical treatment on an Alliance cruiser in "Safe"...

For some reason, River always creeped me out whenever she got into her "weirdo" moods. One of the best scenes was when, for a split second, I actually believed that she had somehow "melted away" and merged with the ship in "Objects in Space." Awesome sleight of hand there, how she slipped away and into Early's ship.

I watched "Firefly" every week, didn't miss a single episode (which was pretty hard seeing how FOX kept fucking with the schedule). One of the best sci-fi shows I've ever seen... great characters, great stories, and intriguing drama.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Horses for starships.....

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ritten:
Horses for starships.....

i thought it was a rip off of Outlaw Star, myself...

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NO GUTS NO GLORY!!

No, but Firefly is good. Really good. And cancelled. Bastards. Bloody bastards.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the road less traveled by and they CANCELLED MY FRIKKIN' SHOW. I totally shoulda took the road that had all those people on it. Damn." - Joss Whedon

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MinutiaeMan:
I always thought that Book was a retired Alliance officer -- and probably a pretty senior officer at that.

Actually, thats was a pretty neat running gag/enigma/etc. It was interesting that they once had Jayne of all people commenting on how Book seemed to be an unexpected fount of criminal or military knowledge.

I think one of the best things about this show, is that they could do humourous episodes well. They didn't have to denigrate their own characters, have characters act unnaturally, or such. I can't really think of any other "serious" science fiction show that have pulled the same thing off.

Plus, its nice not having aliens or "high" technology around [Smile]

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a thought on Book today. What if he's still working for the Alliance? What if his job is actually to make certain that Simon and River DON'T get apprehended by the Blue-Hand Crew? It would be possible that we might have an inter-agency "war" of sorts going on within the Alliance.

Also ... in the episode where the Alliance captain boards Serenity and takes on the survivor of the Reaver attack, did anyone else notice the colonel issue instructions to post a guard at the infirmary?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

Egad... an inter-agency war sounds pretty creepy. The only thing that would be weird about that is the fact that Book was away on retreat during the one time the Blue Hand Group got close to Simon and River. Although I suppose that could be because Book didn't know that Simon was going to concoct his crazy scheme and Jayne was going to sell them out.

I dunno... something tells me that Book's genuine. His attitude and occasional revelations seem more of a guy who's hiding his past actions rather than hiding his present affiliations.

--------------------

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

Y'know something that I never understood... What were those offhand references to "Earth-That-Was" supposed to mean? That there's no Earth in the 26th century? That it's changed so drastically that everyone commonly makes a distinction between Earth-of-the-Present and Earth-That-Was?

Anyone have any background information about what it was supposed to mean?

--------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

I was under the impression the planet was destroyed in some sort of nuclear holocaust, hence the "burn the land and boil the sea" bit in the opening titles. And since no one refers to Earth as BEING in the present (i.e., it's always "Earth that was") I think the basic assumption that the planet either doesn't exist anymore, or isn't habitable anymore, is the most likely.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, as per the rather tacked on introductory voice-over that the show had when being broadcast, Earth "got used up." The shadow puppet play in "Heart of Gold" is apparently about this, but seeing as it is only on screen for a few seconds, and is, well, a shadow puppet play, it isn't very richly detailed.
Flying Minister
Member # 1177

- posted      Profile for Flying Minister     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just as a side note, one of the men who played one of the "Hands of Blue" guys has had numerous appearances on Buffy and Angel. Not one of the Gentlemen, usually as one of the Council of Watchers hitman team sent after Faith.

As for Book, it's been bugging me ever since the monumental idiots who run FOX cancelled this show as to just who he was before he joined the crew. We saw the Alliance cruiser captain practically soil himself after checking Book's ID when Book was shot and the crew were asking for medical help.

--------------------
�����
Learn it, know it, live it.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

I found a copy of the script for, I think, "The Message" on a fansite, and there was dialogue I didn't remember from the episode, which was someone asking Book (after the confrontation with Evil Sentinal Cop): "What kind of guy knows what to look for in a crooked cop? An ex-cop, or an ex-crooked cop?" And Book replies, "A little bit of both" or something along those lines.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps