Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Firefly: Impressions (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Firefly: Impressions
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Woah, what "introductory voice over"? What did it say? Glad it was cut ... was the "Ballad of Serenity" there at all?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Flying Minister
Member # 1177

- posted      Profile for Flying Minister     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Really, that's entirely possible about the crooked cop thing. Although I was think along the lines of someone a little higher up in the military or something.

Now I'm just waiting for the movie. Hopefully Joss will tie up a couple of loose ends at least.

--------------------
�����
Learn it, know it, live it.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Malnurtured Snay:
Woah, what "introductory voice over"? What did it say? Glad it was cut ... was the "Ballad of Serenity" there at all?

I'm not sure what you mean by "Ballad of Serenity." The theme song? Because the credits were unchanged. It was just, when it was on, a little thing attached right before the show started. I don't really remember what it said, aside from the very first bit: "Here's how it is" or maybe "Here's how it was," hence the title of the making-of thing on the DVD. There were at least two different versions.
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sol: The "Ballad of Serenity" is the name Joss gave for the opening theme song. [Wink]

And I don't remember all the words, but like Sol said, there was an opening voiceover before the teaser started -- it was done by Mal, describing the basic premise of the show. He finished up with "keep flying..." as the general goal for the crew.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There were two, actually. The first was read by Book, and was rather standard - and strangely implied that all the action occured in a single solar system with *hundreds* of worlds. This was corrected in Mal's opening, a more colloquial speech that started with "Okay, here's how it works...". Much better IMO.

Additional - here's the first one.

"After the Earth was used up, we found a new solar system and hundreds of new Earths were terraformed and colonized. The Central Planets formed the Alliance and decided all the planets had to join under their rule. There was some disagreement on that point. After the war, many of the Independents who had fought and lost, drifted to the edges of the system far from Alliance control. Out here, people struggle to get by with the most basic technologies. A ship would bring you work. A gun would help you keep it. A captain's goal was simple: Find a crew, find a job, keep flying."

You can download the spoken version of both from here, apparently.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, that's what I was thinking of.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And at the risk of starting a debate on Firefly canon, of all things, the total number of colonized worlds is mentioned in the "Our Mrs. Reynolds" cutscene. 73, I think.
Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the general consensus on the forums at fireflyfans.net is that there simply isn't enough information from its 15 or so hours of show to determine if they intended a one solar system show as Mark pointed out, or a multiple solar system show.

Of course it hardly matters, because the focus of the show is so much less...technical/fake fact-based than say, that Star Trek show.

It just doesn't really matter to the story.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

Firefly canon? Firefly canon? Ye gods, preserve us! [Razz]

--------------------

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you're into the Gag-Reel extras, may I highly recommend downloading the more comprehensive version available here. Damn this is still a great show. It's a long shot, but I hope they do get picked up after the movie.
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Me too, Balaam. On the commentary tracks, Whedon was talking (vaguely) about some of the plot arcs and when they were going to start on 'em, including a big revealing of what "Blue Sun" was all about in the 5th season.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey! I just started watching Firefly. I'm about 2/3rds through the set. This is now my favorite SF show after the original Star Trek (though I've never watched Buffy, Farscape, or anything else new in the last 10 years other than Trek). SF doesn't need aliens. Enterprise pales in comparison!

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Dude, I wish I could "rediscover" Firefly for the first time ... I do indeed love the show!

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats Masao. You've probably just watched my favorite episode: 'Out Of Gas' for the first time. I envy you for this. I find the third disk gets the most play of my set. Make sure you finish them before the movie comes out...
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sooo...

What is the "real", story-causal chronological order of the episodes? Is there complete agreement?

"Serenity" of course would be the first, and "Heart of Gold" appears a likely candidate for the last (after all, Inara wasn't shown having left the ship in any episode, nor were Mal's new attitudes toward her reflected in them). Where would "Trash" and "The Message" go in causal terms, though? After "Our Mrs Reynolds", but apart from that?

What a great show! I just plain loved every aspect of it! Well, except perhaps for the "these zillion very confusing things happened in the last twelve episodes, and even though you don't have to be reminded of them for this episode to make sense, we'll use up these five minutes anyway" introductions...

Timo Saloniemi

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps