Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Firefly: Impressions (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Firefly: Impressions
Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, "Out of Gas" was pretty cool. I liked seeing how all the crew had come aboard the ship.

The only thing I'm not sure about this series is it's being set 500 years in the future. If I didn't know otherwise, I would've figured a couple of hundred years at most.

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There isn't any confusion about the episode order, though. I mean, that is, in the DVD set they are packaged as chronologically structured.

(Where does the date come from, anyway? In the promotional material for the film they give a specific one, even: 2511, for the Battle of Serenity Valley. Is that in the scene cut from the pilot?)

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No specific date is mentioned in the cut scenes from the pilot on the DVD. Don't know where that date comes from.

EDIT: Just found a transcription of the intro that includes the line "CHYRON READS: '2517 A.D.'" CHYRON is evidently a name brand of a character generator for subtitling, etc. which has become adopted as a term for a text overlay.

[ July 07, 2004, 04:40 AM: Message edited by: Balaam Xumucane ]

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the apparent "lack" of visual advancement is deliberate to demonstrate the lack of technology on the frontier. The various scenes on the core worlds look a lot more advanced, to be sure.

But who's to say that jeans, printed T-shirts and suspenders won't go into and out of fashion several times over the next five centuries? Jeans have been around for over a century now and they haven't changed much in use or fashion.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good for you, Masao! Firefly is definitely one of the best!

(Minor spoilers ahead.)

I always thought that the DVD set's order was pretty much the chronological order of the episodes. My mind's a bit fuzzy on the specifics (haven't watched the episodes in a month or so), but didn't Inara say she was leaving at the end of "Heart of Gold"? Then there was that scene in "Objects in Space" where we got the impression that Inara was still planning to leave, but just not quite yet (because she hadn't told the crew). So I think that the order on the DVD set is correct.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not going to read this thread anymore. I don't want any possibility of spoiling my virgin/naive viewing experience.

--------------------

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

Pics from the set of the movie: Click me!

--------------------

MarianLH
Member # 1102

- posted      Profile for MarianLH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Originally posted by Malnurtured Snay:
quote:
Dude, I wish I could "rediscover" Firefly for the first time ... I do indeed love the show!
Live vicariously through me. I am now watching it for the first time, having seen only "The Train Job" when the show originally aired.

Yay for a public library that buys TV series DVDs! Support your local library.

Marian

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Marian,

I must tell you that the most amazing and just "who the fuck thought this up?" character is a woman (well, I don't know if you could call her that, although that's certainly how Jayne thinks of her) named Vera.

Her introduction is just TOP notch!

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Her introduction is just TOP notch!
I'll say. "Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly reaching a middle." [Big Grin]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov

MarianLH
Member # 1102

- posted      Profile for MarianLH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That whole episode was hysterical. "If someone tries to kill you, you kill them right back!" Hee!

Why is it, whenever sociopaths give their weapon a girl's name, it's always something like that? Vera, Elvira, Betsie...never something like Amanda or Julie. I was gratified to see Vera again in a later episode--nice that they kept continuity like that.

Marian

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I watched it when it first aired, mostly because of the buzz around the Ex Isle forums about the show. I got the DVD's, called in sick the next day and watched all the episodes.

Glad it is getting a second chance in the movies.

--------------------
Sparky::
Think!
Question Authority, Authoritatively.
“Believe nothing of what you hear, and only half of what you see.”
EMSparks

Shalamar:
To save face, keep lower half shut.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hang on. . . *checks*

quote:
Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds.*
No, nothing in there about Firefly DVDs so I guess we'll let you off.

* Yes, I know that's not really an official motto

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oddly enough, I've never had mail delivered in the gloom of night. Nor have I ever heard of anyone who has.
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
Oddly enough, I've never had mail delivered in the gloom of night. Nor have I ever heard of anyone who has.

Haven't you heard of overnight delivery? [Razz]

--------------------

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps