Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Stargate Atlantis premiere (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Stargate Atlantis premiere
B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, since no one else is going to do it... Discuss Atlantis here. It looks interesting so far. I'd say something more, but my daughter just woke up from her nap.

B.J.

Defiantly Running About
Member # 1216

- posted      Profile for Defiantly Running About     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did anyone else notice that, although the Wraith could regenerate bulletholes, but a spike driven through one killed it?

Also, why the hell did the hologram from the Ancients speak English? Of course you could apply that to any and everybody they meet, but at least you can say there that they speak a variant of an Earth or Goa'uld-based language - the Ancients wouldn't have spoken anything like English, and wouldn't have made a recording in it. Oh, well.

Oh, and I really like the Irish guy ;P

--------------------
Silent enim leges inter arma.

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, why the hell did the hologram from the Ancients speak English? Of course you could apply that to any and everybody they meet

I thought it was a bit of a joke when the first adult they met on Teyla's planet said his name, and Shepherd said "I don't know that word." As if, for just a second, we'd think they spoke another language!

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I enjoyed the premiere.

Atlantis is now surfaced, and without enough power to operate the city's defenses. Hope the Wraith haven't figured out where they are...

Speaking of which, I can't say I care for the Wraith too much. Not very interesting.

--------------------
"Kirito? I killed a thing and now it says I have XPs! Is that bad? Am I dying?"

-Asuna, Episode 2, Sword Art Online Abridged

deadcujo
Spectator
Member # 13

- posted      Profile for deadcujo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also enjoyed it and didn't care much for the Wraiths. Otherwise, it looks and feels just as good as SG-1--but in a new way or something.

--------------------
Picard: Mr. Crusher, what's our maximum speed this week?
Wesley: [checking manual] Uh, 9.4, sir.
Picard: Very good. Take us to Warp 9.8 then.
Wesley: Aye, sir. Warp 9.2 it is.

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion, but he's definitely Scottish, confirmed by the Scottish flag on his shoulder.

Speaking of nationalities, here's the different flags I remember:
USA, Canada, Spain, UK, Germany, Russia, Scotland and Australia.
I'm sure there were others.

They're now going to be looking for a power source for the city, to replace the 3 failed ZPE generators. Of course, getting their hands on just one will give them the city shields and (or?) give them the ability to dial Earth.

The Wraith are aware of Earth now, but they don't know where it is. For them, it will be a mega-smorgasbord. I also don't think the Wraith are very original either, but the writers have suprised me over the years, so they may get more interesting down the road a bit.

Sheppard likes college football. I like this guy already!

One thing that reminded me of Voyager's premiere: the only person that didn't approve of Sheppard (a superior officer, no less), got killed already.

Lt. Ford seems at least familiar with gate travel, so I imagine he was previously on one of the unseen SG teams.

They still use GDOs, but it seems they've given each individual their own code, as evidenced by them saying something like "it's Lt. Ford's code".

Sgt. Siler makes an appearance, but doesn't get sent to the infirmary! I was fully expecting something to go haywire when he threw that large electrical switch.

B.J.

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by B.J.:

I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion, but he's definitely Scottish, confirmed by the Scottish flag on his shoulder.

Meh, everyone knows that all white guys look the same anyways [Wink]
Defiantly Running About
Member # 1216

- posted      Profile for Defiantly Running About     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*whacks head* Know how dumb I feel? ...I have Scottish FAMILY and didn't recognize the accent *sigh*

--------------------
Silent enim leges inter arma.

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
och!

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The new bad guys certainly don't seem like something that would bother the Ancients. (At least, not so far.)

And how come the Ancients put a security field over that gate, and not every gate? It's, like, a super good idea that should be obvious. (Also, why do they have a big fancy gate control room anyway? The Asgard just kept theirs in an alcove off a hallway.) ALSO, I don't think there's room in that ship to hold those fold-out engines. (Plus, Ancient weapons, even after laying idle for a long time, seem to blow up Wraith ships just fine. Really, the only problem the, uh, Atlantis people seem to have, in regards to the Wraith, is running out of ammunition.)

Having complained, I thought it was great, mostly.

Is it the official story now, though, that the Ancients are just humans? I've missed most every episode of SG-1 about them, at least in the last two seasons. Because, anyway, that is sort of disappointing.

Perhaps the Furlings will show up.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Ancients are humanoids who evolved on Earth. I'm pretty sure humans are not supposed to be descended from them (at least, not as a whole). Someone mentioned that humans are the "second evolution of this form" on Earth.

"The new bad guys certainly don't seem like something that would bother the Ancients. (At least, not so far.)"

Well, so far, we've seen, what? About five of them? And they'd just been sitting around for who knows how many years, feeding sporadically. Now they've awakened what will probably hundreds, if not thousands, more, who are going to start making a concerted effort to be really really nasty. I'm sure they'll seem more foreboding in the coming episodes.

Of course, it still won't make sense that the humans will be able to beat them week after week, if they're powerful enough to kick the Ancients' collective ass. But, then, how did SG-1 always beat the Goa'uld? And why does everyone speak English? It's going to be just one of those things that's to be expected.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Second evolution? Poop on that.

I'm sure the Wraith are plenty mean. It's just that an Ancient transport ship seems to do a pretty good job blowing them up, as does a shoulder-mounted surface-to-air missile.

Anyway, I guess we'll see. I wonder why the Ancients couldn't (or didn't) get help from their fancy Four Races alliance?

Omega
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Presumably said alliance was toast by this point, given that the Ancients had apparently left our galaxy. There's also no telling how much their allies were worth, really. The stored knowledge of the Ancients (well, and Jack) built the ultimate Replicator-killer in five minutes flat, which all the combined research of the Asgard couldn't do in years.

--------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

"Presumably said alliance was toast by this point, given that the Ancients had apparently left our galaxy."

Well, and? The Asgard aren't from this galaxy either.

Omega
Member # 91

Yeah, they are. They moved too. But I see your point, I suppose distance shouldn't matter that much.

--------------------

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps