Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Stargate Atlantis premiere (Page 4)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Stargate Atlantis premiere
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why did Don Davis leave? Voluntarily, or to allow MacGuyver (WTF ever his name is) to get promoted so he can work less ... ?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I expected him to be a 'guest star' in season 8, as the commander of Earth Defenses or whatever the post title is.

--------------------
joH'a' 'oH wIj DevwI' jIH DIchDaq Hutlh pagh
(some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps in the morning)
The Woozle!

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Davis left voluntarily, at least according to an interview I read. There wasn't a whole lot else for him to do with the character.

Wasn't he promoted to Director of Homeworld Security?

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Homeworld Security.

Davis said he'd stay if there was enough money, making it sound voluntary. Whether it WAS or not, who can say?

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From the photos, it looks like the actor who played the Tollan that had a thing for Carter is in this ep. I wonder if it's the same character. If not... they need to stop using actors in Atlantis that are easily recognized from their roles in SG-1.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, it was the same actor. Which probably also serves as confirmation that the Tollan are indeed dead as doorknobs now and won't be brought back again.

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep. I'm still a little surprised that they'd use a fairly recognizable character from a related series like this. Mind you, Nerim has been dead for four years...

As for Hammond, he'll also be back in a the SG-1 episode "Prometheus Unbound" the annual show centering on that ship (though not in command, apparently). Reports indicate that Davis wanted to move on, which is probably true - they hadn't been doing much with him lately (until the seventh season finale). I'm okay with his departure, if it means that when he DOES show up he'll have a substantial part in how things go. This seems to be true, given his parts in "Home" and "Prometheus Unbound".

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"...the long-lost heroes are debriefed at Stargate Command and eventually settle back into their normal lives.

"But clues begin to turn up that cause the team to suspect that all is not as it seems."

That sounds like it will be one of those stories where it turns out that they're actually in some kind of simulation and they never really made it back at all.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah.. But I have hopes that this won't be another of the hackneyed Voyager-esque plot twists. Stargate has done a pretty good job at bucking the trend of most cliches. I though time loop stories had been done, then I saw "Window of Opportunity". I thogh I'd be sick of the X-Files conspiracy crap, but the NID arc continues to engage me...

"Sir, I've heard back from Command about your request."

"And?"

"Sir... We can't call our ship the Enterprise."

"Why not?"

[silence]

"Sir, why don't we just call it Prometheus? That was the project's code name."

"But Prometheus is a Greek tragedy! Who'd want to name their ship after that?"

... And they did. [Wink]

Mark

--------------------

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I'm ressurecting this thread on purpose. No, it wasn't to tick off people who thought Stargate was dead for the summer. [Roll Eyes]

When they rebroadcast the first half of the premiere this Friday, I noticed a couple of new things. First, that Ancient woman who was left behind was the same one SG-1 found frozen in the ice, played by Ona Grauer. So apparently *something* happened to the Antarctic base just after Atlantis left. Whatever it was, it was probably the reason it left.

The music is done by Joel Goldsmith, who has done SG-1 since the beginning. He also happens to be one of 6 children of Jerry Goldsmith.

Finally, I found a good map showing exactly where the Pegasus galaxy is. Others have pointed out where it is in our sky, but that doesn't mean that much to me. The October 1999 National Geographic magazine had a good map of our galaxy, and had several views zooming out to show the Local Group and more. I've scanned in the view of the local group here:
http://bj.o.home.mindspring.com/BJ_art/pegasus_galaxy.jpg
It's still in the Local Group, but fairly isolated from both the Milky Way and Andromeda. I'm guessing the producers chose this galaxy for exactly that reason.

B.J.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

Sweet. So now, where is the galaxy of Ida, where the Asgard live? Or did they just make that one up?

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, except, Pegasus is supposedly 300 million lightyears away, if you can take what McKay says in, erh, Some Episode Whose Name I Knew Once But No Longer at face value.
B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting McKay quote. You sure about that number?

OTOH, several sources (in other forums) say that they said on the show that Pegasus was part of the local group. Unfortunately, I didn't hear that myself, so I can't confirm it.

Here's another map of the universe I found:
http://www.anzwers.org/free/universe/localgr.html

B.J.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

It could be one of the galaxies visible in the Pegasus constellation, as suggested before. This Pegasus galaxy just seems really close, galactically-speaking. Wherever the Ida galaxy is (it's not the name of a real galaxy, FYI BTW, AFAIK), it's probably further out than Pegasus or Andromeda.

Mark

--------------------

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

Question: (And this will no doubt be a dumb one) How is it that there are maps of the milky way galaxy when no man made object has ever left our galaxy to photograph it? Is it a model based on observation of the density and placement of other stars?

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps