Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Farscape: The Peacekeeper Wars (Major $$$) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Farscape: The Peacekeeper Wars (Major $$$)
Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shivan Sathanas-class Juggernaut, courtesy of I-don't-know-who.

(Which, I think, shared more motifs with the Nephilim Tiamat-class Dreadnought than with any Kilrathi design, but OK.)

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Only two real complaints... 1: Pilot's voice. The download I got had no ending credits (even though it had half the commercials, still), but the IMDb says that that was, in fact, Lani Tupu. So I can only assume they changed the distortion they add in post-production. Weird.

2: Sikozu's punk look was the worst thing ever.

By the way, is it just me, or does the new Doctor Who logo look conspicuously Farscapey?

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, I most definitely loved the miniseries, but I've got a few issues.

1) I'm not convinced that Sikozu was actually the spy... the intelligence she demonstrated throughout the fourth season suggests to me that she would never be so stupid as to believe that the Scarrans would actually free the Kalish in exchange for her spying on Crichton. Plus, she helped destroy the chrystherium matriarch plant in the "We're So Screwed" three-parter last season... it makes no sense for her to actually be a spy. I think that Scorpy actually sent her off to do something really nasty to Grunshlik. Damn, that bastard really gets on my nerves. I'm praying that Farscape gets renewed, just so we can see him get what he deserves.

2) What was the point of Grayza's pregnancy in this miniseries? Was the actress pregnant and they just decided to not try to hide it, or was there some other meaning? I'm desperately praying that the kid's not John's, because that would be just so wrong.

3) Wasn't it conveeeeeenient that, when it really counted, it only took one shot to kill Ahkna? I thought that Scarrans were supposed to be a lot tougher than that?

4) Okay, I have no problem with D'Argo surviving in deep space for a while, but what about Chiana? How come she was able to survive too? That was just a bit too convenient for my tastes...

Other points... Despite the above complaints, I really loved the miniseries. Apart from them killing D'Argo, of course. Bastards!

I can see that, despite them ending most of the major plot points of the series, there's plenty of fodder for them to bring back the show and keep on going. For instance, how is Scorpy going to react to gaining peace with the Scarrans? His lifelong dream was to see them wiped out, not just to prevent them from taking over the Peacekeeper territories. Also, what about Bishaan's offer to welcome Rygel home? Somehow I doubt that offer would still stand once peace returned. Then, of course, there's the whole Scorpy-Sikozu-Grunshlik issue...

But most importantly, despite the big deal they made of ending the war, returning peace, and making it possible for the Eidolons to start doing their work once again, this isn't really a resolution at all -- it's more of a return to the cold war situation, with peace enforced by the threat of Mutual Assured Destruction. (Yep, the wormhole weapon was really just a giant metaphor for nuclear weapons, wasn't it?) So I have a feeling that there's really going to be a lot of big unknowns left hanging that can cause trouble for Our Heroes later on down the road.

According to the Sci-Fi Wire, the miniseries got pretty high ratings overall, which lends hope to the possibility of either another miniseries or an actual renewal of the series for a fifth season. We can only wait and see...

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MinutiaeMan:
3) Wasn't it conveeeeeenient that, when it really counted, it only took one shot to kill Ahkna? I thought that Scarrans were supposed to be a lot tougher than that?

yeah: the Scarrans pussy-ness was my biggest gripe.
That and their soldiers all looked like Dark Helmet: John missed an easy joke there.

Why no TK (or whatever it is) powers on these Skarrans when all prior appearances made it to be a natural ability? They never needed weapons before: just point and....wavy energy!

Really, I think it was budgetary constraints: despite the bueatiful CGI battles, I got a low-budget vibe from most of the physical battle scenes in the second part.
Scorpy seemed to have no fear of getting shot at all: he just stands around kiling whoever came through the temple doors.

Questions: did Sikozu die?
What exactly was Scorpious' "final mission" for her?
Did Scorpious' #2 man (cant recall the Peacekeeper's name!) make it back to Moya with everyone else? I think so but am not certain...

Cartman: thanks for the linky but I dont think that looks much like the Decimator.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Braca made it back, yes. Remember, he got shot in the leg, so he had to be held up while they were waiting to jump into the net.
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
Why no TK (or whatever it is) powers on these Skarrans when all prior appearances made it to be a natural ability? They never needed weapons before: just point and....wavy energy!

Except that they DID show the Scarrans doing that wavy heat-blast trick, at least twice in the first part of the miniseries. Staleek blasted both Aeryn and John at various points.
quote:
Questions: did Sikozu die?
What exactly was Scorpious' "final mission" for her?

Well, it is eminently possible that Sikozu and Grunshlik managed to get off the planet before it was ripped apart by John's wormhole, so you never know. Considering how many times Scorpy managed to fake out everyone with his apparent deaths, I wouldn't believe that Sikozu was dead until I actually saw a body.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:

Except that they DID show the Scarrans doing that wavy heat-blast trick, at least twice in the first part of the miniseries. Staleek blasted both Aeryn and John at various points.
Huh. Thanks for clearing that up.
Mabye the Skarrans we'd seen before were super-advanced troops or something (accounting for their larger size and toughness)?
I missed almost all of part one yet managed to catch part two twice: I'm always working when then show both.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Antagonist
Member # 484

- posted      Profile for Antagonist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
4) Okay, I have no problem with D'Argo surviving in deep space for a while, but what about Chiana? How come she was able to survive too? That was just a bit too convenient for my tastes...

Remember also that Crichton survived briefly in void. In fact, so too did Rygel. I think that it probably a combination of artistic liberty and based on the fact that nobody truly knows how badly spacey-void like exposure can damage you. Everything tells us that you could be damaged so badly from just a few seconds exposure as to make you into lil 'tarded timmy for the rest of your life, though.

It is my hope that Fox picks up Farscape after next year, which is after Henson's contract with SciFi runs out. I say this because it has been apparent to me for some time that Fox has been seeking to revive Firely after 'Serentiy' is released. This said, Fox would be foolish to not pick up Farscape, especially considering it comes with a pretty decently sized built-in fanbase.

--------------------
Move .sig!!

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Um....God no.

FOx has managed to fuck up any good show they've been kucky enough to get: Firefly got canned for some more "lowest common denominator" programming and (i've heard) because the producers refused Fox's attempts to make it more "ratings friendly".

I'd ratther farscape end on this high note with loose ends than have Fox "reimagine" it somehow to introduce new viewers to the charcters.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I liked it. A lot of loose ends got cleaned up, leaving some other loose ends in the process, but, meh.

Sikozu seemed totally off in this. Maybe the new look changed my perceptions of the character, but she acted completely differently. As for the chance of her being a Scarran agent, maybe it was the fact that she did destroy the plant that made her turn - if the Scarrans threatened to make her entire people suffer for her actions, that might be enough. But no-one else saw the confrontation between her and Scorpius, so it wasn't a show for anyone's benefit - didn't Scorpius then have to say that he'd identified her as the spy?

Pilot's voice seemed OK to me. It was definitely Lani Tupu.

How hard would it have been to just put Chiana in a space suit for heaven's sake? They obviously still have at least one left in wardrobe (LOVED the 2001 scene - looked to me they just took stills from that and composited in the Farscape actors); as it was, you could see the character's hair rustling in some breeze - in a vacuum? Badly done, that.

So what next? Farscape: The Hynerian Wars? Ben Browder is up to do more - but then who wouldn't if his career highlight since the series ended was as a pathetic wannabe fireman in CSI: Miami? Claudia Black has said she doesn't want to do another series, but I'm sure she wouldn't object to a miniseries once every coupla years.

Structure-wise, a bit too much flipping back and forth. One minute they're going to use the Eidolons, the next it'll have to be the wormhole weapons, then back to the Eidolons. . . The bit with the raiders and the harpoons was obviously filler. All it established was that Scorpy was PNG with the PKs, and he could have got that across in one sentence of exposition - "They'll have cancelled my clearance codes."

But, yeah, I liked it. Always did like Farscape, it ties in to a lot of memories from the past few years, and I even found something in it that speaks to where I am in my life at this moment. 8)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

New Zealand?
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Metaphorically speaking.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

New Zealand is a state of mind, Lee.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Antagonist
Member # 484

- posted      Profile for Antagonist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay so Fox wasn't a good on-the-spot choice. At least it'd be better than, say, UPN, which currently thinks that black comedies and Suck Trek: Enterprise is their cash cow. The said thing is that it is, though.

I suppose SciFi isn't an option either since they prefer making worse-than-B-grade movies(Anonymous Rex for example. Lexx was infinitley better than most of the crap they're producing nowadays).

It just feels all wrong though.

After watching it I was content and happy, but after a while things just began feeling.... inappropriate. I get the sense that there were many more stories that should have been conveyed before we saw the "Peacekeeper Wars."

--------------------
Move .sig!!

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

"Lexx was infinitley better than most of the crap they're producing nowadays..."

Wow. That is bad.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps