Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » DW: "The End of the World" [$$$] (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: DW: "The End of the World" [$$$]
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Timelordian bitchiness? Like asking "have you lost weight?" when it's plain you haven't?

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Romana's apparent ability to try out several forms also begs explanation. Unless the Doctor can do it but doesn't because he generally seems quite happy with his regeneration (Colin Baker aside, but he was even more post-regeneration-loopy than normal there). And yes, I know one of the novels attempts an explanation for it.

quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
If I remember correctly, Sarah was being mind-controlled somehow.

You're really going to have to narrow the episode down a bit more than that. You might as well say "Jon Pertwee's Doctor has just said 'dear chap' to someone", or "Peri was bitching about something", or "Davison looked a bit ineffective and wet".
FawnDoo
Member # 1421

- posted      Profile for FawnDoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nguyen:
The EU suggests that some people CAN force a regeneration if need be. The novelization of "The Twin Dilemma", Colin Baker's first story, tells that typically Gallifreyans regenerate themselves mostly for the hell of it, to pass the centruies on their terms rather than waiting for old age to trigger it.

Hmmm, I would have thought the Time Lords would have been a little more careful about their regenerations, especially if they have a finite amount of the things - surely they wouldn't waste a regeneration if they had a perfectly serviceable body as it is? Okay I take the point about not waiting for old age to trigger it but if you've only got a certain number of extra lives you don't waste them on vanity or boredom...or maybe that's just me.

As for Romana, I always assumed she didn't actually regenerate into those bodies on her "fashion show", but that she was somehow able to project a possible future regeneration, looking into several possible futures and trying the bodies on like one would try on a coat, without actually committing to one and undergoing the regeneration process. The Doctor did that in "Logopolis", didn't he? Projected some kind of version of himself between his 3rd and 4th regenerations? And there's always the Valeyard...just a thought anyway. All this discussion has really put me in the mood to raid my old Who video collection (and start picking some up on DVD) and enjoy some shaky sets and frankly worrying wobbling of walls.

--------------------
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur

FawnDoo
Member # 1421

- posted      Profile for FawnDoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
You're really going to have to narrow the episode down a bit more than that. You might as well say "Jon Pertwee's Doctor has just said 'dear chap' to someone", or "Peri was bitching about something", or "Davison looked a bit ineffective and wet".

Or "Susan fell over and twisted her ankle", or "Bonnie Langford committed a crime against humanity just by existing."

--------------------
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So back to this Time War...

1. I've asked this question before but what EXACTLY is a Timelord and how does it differ from an ordinary Gallifreyan?

2. Can't timelords from different points in time interact at a third point in time - i.e. it being the normal result in both's timeline. That assumes though that going forward in time is the 'norm' and in something like Dr. Who - I'm sure there's a place where it's not the norm. [Smile]

3. Do did McGann's Doctor die as a result of the Time War - hmmm and does this mean some how we might see a "two doctors" with a guest star by Paul McGann? I wish they bloody did a series with him. I loved his beautiful TARDIS insides.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.whoniverse.org/
http://www.whoniverse.org/biography/gallifrey.php

1. Gallifreyans live in a very stratified, regimented culture. Not every Gallifreyan is a Time Lord - you have to go through lots of schooling for it. Some say it's only after this that you are granted your twelve regenerations. Others think it's inherent to the physiology, depending on whether you believe in the whole looming thing.

2. Douglas Adams, who script edited the original series for a while, declared that meeting your past or future self is impossible, because of the extreme embarassment it would cause. This is why the Doctors only really meet each other under peculiar circumstances.

3. We don't know. I think we'll learn over the course of the season who the enemy in this Time War was (most think it's the Daleks, who'll be the subect of the sixth episode and the two-part finale).

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"You're really going to have to narrow the episode down a bit more than that."

Well, as Mark said, it was "Masque of Mandragora".

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One theory is that Gallifrey actually exists at a point far in the future. Time Lords only actually travel to the past of their "present", and cannot affect the actual history of Gallifrey directly due to clever Time Lord tech protecting it. Or something.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doctor Who has contradicted itself numerous times over its original run. For teh most part, continuity WITHIN a given story is okay; most stuff that stretches between two or three is generally fine, but outside of that, you're on your own. [Smile]

Mark

--------------------

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

Doctor Who has contradicted itself numerous times over its original run. For teh most part, continuity WITHIN a given story is okay; most stuff that stretches between two or three is generally fine, but outside of that, you're on your own. [Smile]

Mark

--------------------

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And you can say that again!

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

Mark

--------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

A White Hole?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nguyen:
http://www.whoniverse.org/
http://www.whoniverse.org/biography/gallifrey.php

1. Gallifreyans

2. Douglas Adams

3. We don't know.

Mark

Thanks Mark!

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

Ahh, here's what I was talking about - the Blinovitch Limitation Effect in Doctor Who is what prevents people from altering their own histories.

http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~abr/drwho/tardis/type40/node14.html

Mark

--------------------

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps