Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Battlestar Galactica: "Valley of Darkness" (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Battlestar Galactica: "Valley of Darkness"
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Take that, abbreviations!

Well? Once again the highlight of the evening, in my opinion.

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Cylon centurians can't be killed by regular bullets. Only explosive rounds can do the job, and only if it's a head shot. This may or may not be a continuity error, but we did see Helo shoot and kill a centurian in the head with regular bullets, but that was only after it was blown in half by some explosives.

I was expecting Starbuck's ride (not the Raider!) to be a motorcycle of some sort. But I guess a Hummer isn't a bad second choice.

From Tigh's reaction and his accurate guess about the Cylons' tactics, I'm guessing he's seen (or head of) this kind of situation in the previous Cylon war.

B.J.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, Helo's rounds did leave rather large holes in things. They might very well have been explosive (although apparently of a lesser caliber). Since the Cylons were the Colonial military's main enemy, it only makes sense to issue ammunition that might have a chance at stopping them. (Then how come Apollo's sidearm wasn't loaded with any? Uh. . .)

The artistic side of Starbuck was interesting.

I'm not sure how I feel about Roslin as a religious leader, mostly because I really liked her in her more secular role. I'm not sure how to put it, but she's very. . . believable, I guess, as a leader.

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I'm not sure how I feel about Roslin as a religious leader, mostly because I really liked her in her more secular role. I'm not sure how to put it, but she's very. . . believable, I guess, as a leader.
She's also sexier [Wink]
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd do her.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
She certainly seems to have become more forceful since she found out she's a prophet. "I have no intention of being locked in this cell and shot like a rat in a cage; open the DOOR!"
HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, I think she's always had that kind of forceful attitude. Just look at how she took charge during the initial Cylon attack in the Mini Series.

How do I explain this? While I liked the Helo/Boomer subplot last seaon, the cutting to them for just a bit at a time started to annoy me. Still, I endured it because I liked the story and wanted to see where it went.

Now we have not one, but TWO planets to cut away to for bits at a time. I do hope/wish they tie up the Kobol and Caprica subplots soon.

I'd like to know where Starbuck thinks she's going to go. Yes, she got one raider working but if she thinks she's gonna steal another one and make it to the fleet... it's gonna strain my suspension of disbelief.

I do suspect that Starbuck would jump back to Kobol, though. That's the only thing that makes sense.

It's weird how Six thinks she's gonna have a baby with Baltar. I thought she meant Boomer's baby and how they'd be coming back to the fleet. An "our baby" in a bit of a metaphoric sense. She seems intent, though, that it's her baby. The only way she and Baltar could conceive is if she acquired a genetic sample from Baltar before he left on the Galactica.

Interesting Baltar having a nightmare and then waking up to a vision of Six. From one hallucination to another.

Turns out the ambush on Kobol wasn't friendly fire. At least, it doesn't appear that way now.

Kudos to Tigh this episode. He knew what was going on and was in charge. One of the few times I think we'll see him rise to a competent level of command (venting/decompressing the Galatica during the attack in the Mini Series was one and launching the fighters in "Tigh Me Up" was another).

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

"The only way she and Baltar could conceive is if she acquired a genetic sample from Baltar before he left on the Galactica."

Well, there are plenty of Sixes around; I'm sure she could arrange another rendezvous.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the "group on Kobol" plotline is going to be resolved next episode, at least, I'm guessing from the trailer.

I'm reasonably certain Helo & Starbuck won't be returning to Galactica anytime soon, although I do think it'll happen before the end of the first half of the season.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I liked the episode. It looked like Captain Kelly was close to losing it a couple times while Lt. Gaeta looked pretty composed throughout. Colonel Tigh did seem to know exactly what the Cylons were going to do; I wonder if he went through the same thing before? And if he did experience before, how did it turn out? And if it turned out badly, was that a reason he was out of the military for a while?

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Sieg,

I think Tigh mentioned that he'd been on a Battlestar when Cylons had boarded, presumeably, this didn't reflect poorly on his career as he and Adama were both early in their military careers when that war ended; you'll remember last episode's flashbacks, where Adama gets himself and Tigh back into the fleet. I think the reason he and Adama were out of the military is that with the war over, the military didn't need quite so many troops.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

The implication is that this is a standard Cylon tactic, employed during their earlier war.

The downloadable commentaries tell you why Tigh and Adama weren't in the military anymore, and I don't think that counts as a spoiler or anything, but I will ask you specifically: do you want to know?

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Sure!

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I missed several chunks of "Scattered". The only flashback scene I saw in the episode was a drunken Tigh about to set fire to something when two MPs come to his door and inform that Major Adama had reactivated him.

Also, was it stated that the Cylons' plan was a standard tactic? I got the impression that this was specifically something Tigh had experienced. Early in the episode, Apollo made mention of the Cylons heading for the magazine locker and Gaeta and Kelly didn't see to catch on to what Tigh was saying until he laid everything out for them. I was also partially distracted at the start of this episode, so I might have missed something as well.

And, yeah, I'd like to hear about what's on the podcasts. I wasn't aware that they included information like that.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Sieg,

"Also, was it stated that the Cylons' plan was a standard tactic? I got the impression that this was specifically something Tigh had experienced."

Probably both. Remember, the last time the humans saw Cylons, Tigh was a relatively young man. It's doubtful that anyone else on the CIC crew served during that conflict, and therefore, would not (neccessarily) be aware of what a "standard" Cylon tactic would consist of.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps