Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Battlestar Galactica: "Valley of Darkness" (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Battlestar Galactica: "Valley of Darkness"
MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ron Moore's podcast for this episode relates how these events were originally planned for "Scattered", and in the flahsbacks Tigh relates to Adama how his ship was boarded by Cylons, and Adama relates that the Galactica (which was the first ship He served on) had a similar experience, which is how Tigh knows what they plan to do.

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will transcribe.

quote:
The backstory to the series is that the initial Cylon conflict was fought forty years ago, and in that war both Tigh and Adama were young men who did not fight together; they fought in seperate ways on seperate vessels, had seperate experiences; and after the war was over both men were discharged along with many other service people out into the civilian world, and they both sort of happened to sign up aboard the same civilian sort of tramp freighter that was plying the trade routes among the colonies, and that is how they met.
re the Cylon boarding action:
quote:
This sequence where Tigh tells them what the Cylons are after, when he says they're actually going over here to aft damage control and they're going to auxilary fire control and he says it. . . I know where they're going; and in this version of the show, the aired version of the show, you just assume that, well, Tigh's encountered these guys before, he fought in the first Cylon wars this is a memory. It was more literal in the script and in the first cut.
Then he talks about the baby drowning scene before going back to how there was originally a flashback to Tigh and Adama trading war stories of attacks like this.

"What kind of person could murder an innocent baby?"

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will be beaten to the punch!
Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, guys, that clears some stuff up.
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a fucking conspiracy, I tell you. Or were the schedules always full of dead babies and I just never noticed before because I wasn't a father then? It's giving me a serious bloody complex, I tell you. Saturday night, nothing on TV, start idly watching a CSI re-run and boom! Right away it's a baby left by its mother in the car during a heatwave. That really bloody freaked me out, coming at the end of a week when Lula decided to dive head-first out of her high chair (I caught her, I've never moved so fast in my life). My nerves calmed, I settle down to watch the new BSG. And what am I faced with? Wahey, let's all drown babies! Since I was expecting somehting more along the lines of them peeling back the blanket to reveal a nice shiny chrome toaster, you can understand this left me feeling a little out-of-sorts (and it was such a blatant bit of Baltar-brainwashing - alliteration ahoy - on Six's part). All this coming hot on the heels of the T'Pol-Tucker baby storyline is not doing my nerves much good. Enough already! And if anybody below the age of puberty dies in Lost (which starts here in a few weeks) I wanna know now, as I'm hoping to get Kate to watch it too and if you think my reaction to children's deaths is bad you don't wanna see hers. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I see you've got the same problem I do. Stories with babies didn't affect me near as much before, but now that I have two kids of my own, it's really jarring. I don't think it's a conspiracy, it's just you're now extremely sensitive to that now, just like I am.

(Although they didn't show it explicitly, that one scene from the Dune mini still turns my stomach. And since my first child was still a baby at the time, that's the only part of the mini I can remember!)

B.J.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't seen the Dune miniserieses, since having a non-SF-fan spouse I don't watch much SF in prime time, and the UK SciFi Channel (which I don't have anymore anyway since we only have Freeview) never repeated them at any time I was around (or awake) to watch. But I'll bear that in mind.

I wonder, will this feeling fade, or evolve? When she's a teenager, will I be unable to watch teenage-slasher-horror-pics? Not that I do anyway, but still.

Back to the subject at hand, I wonder if they'll update the "47,xxx survivors" bit of the credits? Because I'd say that Cylon spree on BG has reduced numbers slightly. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Regarding the question of how Six got Baltar's genetic material, has everyone forgotten the brief time a real Six was on the Galactica, assigned as Baltar's assistant ("Y-you can see her?")?

And by the way, Starbuck's ride is a Humvee, not a Hummer. The one is the military version (which hers sure is), the other is the commercial release. Fried of mine has a surplus Humvee, and I'm fine with that, but I'll never ride in or own any of the commercial models. I wouldn't be caught dead in something named after a slang term for a blow job...

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

That, along with poor gas milage, is what doomed the Ford Knob Slobber.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

And in a seperate post so as not to sully it: word is that the survivor count in the credits will be dynamic. So what was it this week?
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
47 874.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps