Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » SG-1: "Beachhead" ($$$) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: SG-1: "Beachhead" ($$$)
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Overall, definitely a cool episode: I loved the send-off for Vala, because she got to do something selfless, and something that actually was rather valiant and helpful. I loved Nerus and his demeanor and attitude... and the idea that the Goa'uld will buy into the Ori's religious fanaticism (you don't think it's just one who's been "converted" by the Ori, do you?) is a terrifyingly logical development, in some ways.

But I've got a question: Is it physically realistic to turn a planet into a quantum singularity? I know that technically, a singularity could be of any mass, since it's an infinitesimal point and thus may not matter how large or small the mass is... but weren't there some studies about the minimum practical mass of a singularity? Or was that just limited by our own scientific capabilities to create such things?

Finally, I think it's incredibly awesome that someone finally tried to create a super-Stargate to fly ships through. It's the reversal of the standard practice in the SG-1 universe -- normally, the Stargate is the perfect method for small-scale transport, but ships are better for the big stuff. But since the Ori are still so far away, they need a quick way to send whole ships through. Scary!

My question, though, is why the Ori couldn't simply send their own nuke or other high explosive through some 'Gate somewhere where no one was watching them (an uninhabited world) and thus achieve their aim without anyone trying to stop them (or more specifically, anyone getting pissed at being duped and then trying to fix their mistake).

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The "minimum practical mass" of a singularity can, I guess, be defined in two ways here, namely 1) as the mass at which our predictions about its behavior still make sense, rather than are riddled with holes and inconsistencies, or 2) as the mass at which it doesn't fall victim to Hawking radiation before sucking up quite a bit of other stuff first, but if your intent is just to destroy a planet by compressing it into one, neither applies (planets, at least those that are Earth-sized or larger, are heavy enough to behave themselves as singularities, but not so heavy as to be cause for much concern afterwards (plus, you would probably have quantum gravity pretty well worked out)).
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My experience with SG1 is, I will admit, not to the level of most folks -- I caught a few episodes on reruns presumeably from early in the run which followed the standard formula of "go through Stargate, have weird adventure, come home."

Now they've got spaceships, and transporters - and admittedly, I haven't followed the show, but I have to admit, from what I've seen of SG-1 lately (and what I've seen of Atlantis, for that matter) they seem to be trying to be Star Trek without the "star trek" in the title.

I think SG-1 is an example of why some shows deserve to be ended at their peak. I don't know when SG-1's peak was, I just know that the earlier episodes I saw were clearly of a higher caliber than what I've been watching lately.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, that last bit was maybe a bit harsh, but I know where he's coming from, not being one who watches the show(s) either. I read these summaries and think "The fuck?" Since the only place it's possible to watch SG-1 in the UK is in Sky and all they do is show the first three seasons on permanent rotation (6pm every night) - although granted they do show the new eps maybe once - and SGA is on C5 which no-one in the country can bring themselves to watch, I guess it's safe to say that chances for me catching up are limited.

So I'd have a good laugh if the show got cancelled because it wasn't bringing new viewers to Sci-Fi because it's so hard to get into without knowing all this impossibly-complicated backstory.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The backstory isn't really the thing throwing me, though -- I can come into a show several seasons in and pick up on stuff, yeah, okay, I'd probably have questions, but I know enough to know the Ori are the new "big bad" and the old "big baddies" aren't so big or bad anymore.

What really makes it hard to get into is all of this quasi-Star Trek stuff: as mentioned, the ships (do they really NEED a captain's chair?!) and particularly the transporters. I can suspend my disbelief for the Stargate -- I don't know that I can suspend it for the Stargate, AND the Starship Enterprise, AND Mr. Scott at the transporter console.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course, transporters have been part of the show since the movie. The only difference now is that the main characters actually own one.
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Transporters as in ... not the Stargate? Those things that rise up around a person?

I'm pretty sure I've heard characters talk about "beaming" ... I dunno, I keep looking for Scotty.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tim's refering to the Goa'uld rings. Of course, the Prometheus is also equipped with Asgard transporters, which are much more like the Star Trek version.

Personally, I think SG-1 has been on the decline since season six, but I still enjoy it, and this season seems better than the last.

As for this episode: I had the exact opposite opinion, re Vala, who gets sucked into a black hole as soon as Carter is available, with barely a sigh. Like, maybe she got transported back to the Ori galaxy? Huh? No one seems to much care.

I love the idea of Goa'uld joining Earth, now that we're the biggest power in the galaxy. So I was kind of disappointed when it turned out to be a trick, even though that makes sense too. (It was also kind of annoying when the Goa'uld mispronounced "goa'uld.")

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To clarify the "transporters" issue further, there are actually TWO types of technology that achieve the same effect. The first, seen more frequently and especially in the early seasons, used a group of five smaller, hovering rings stacked horizontally, which would "beam" the subjects inside. The other kind is the Trek-style transporter, seen here in "Beachhead", a technology which was first used by the Asgard and was given the Earth in gratitude for their help with the Replicators (the robo-insects, not the food dispensers [Wink] ).

Sol: I do agree that it really sucks that they got rid of Vala just as soon as they could bring Carter back; it's heavy handed writing, and I also think that SG-1 really could've benefitted by making Vala a semi-regular for the entire season, mainly because even with Mitchell replacing O'Neill as the main lead, there's way too much stability in the character structure between the major characters (and their roles), and I feel it would've been an excellent storytelling asset to keep Vala around to disrupt that balance. However, within the constraint of having some way to get rid of Vala for a while, I think they came up with a way for her to depart with style -- performing a selfless act to try to save the rest of the galaxy.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know about that. At least she didn't have to reach into the ship's reactor. Anyway, we already saw her softer side last week.
B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I liked the Goa'uld's disappointment with SG-1 after coming through the gate. He only got half the people he was hoping to see.

As for nobody caring about Vala, of COURSE they didn't! Especially Daniel, who had a bit of a smirk going. She was a pain in the ass! Besides, Daniel probably really does care what happens, but he also knows she's a very good survivor - she seemed to have most of THIS galaxy after her head. Besides, she can probably inflict some severe damage from her end now.

In the promo for next week, that was Baal, but he wasn't talking all Goa'uld-y!

B.J.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

They don't usually treat the Goa'uld voices for the trailers. For instance, in that episode where Kinsey was possessed. (And was there a follow up to that, or is he still out there?)

Of course, in that specific instance it might have been intentional, to keep the twist a secret. But I'm sure it's happened elsewhere as well.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read these summaries and think "The fuck?" Since the only place it's possible to watch SG-1 in the UK is in Sky and all they do is show the first three seasons on permanent rotation (6pm every night) - although granted they do show the new eps maybe once - and SGA is on C5 which no-one in the country can bring themselves to watch, I guess it's safe to say that chances for me catching up are limited.

I guess it's safer to say your chances for catching up are limited because you don't feel like it, bittorrent boy.

(Which is fine, of course, but I don't understand why you'd even care to read any SG* episode summaries i/t/f/p if all you're going to do is mope about there being so much of what in your opinion is obviously such a hackneyed ((as for impossibly complicated, well, that's somewhat excusable, given there are eight+ seasons of it)) backstory that the shows aren't worth your precious time of getting into.)

"(And was there a follow up to that, or is he still out there?)"

No, though next week's episode promises to deliver one of sorts, and (presumably) yes.

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mighty Blogger Snay:
(do they really NEED a captain's chair?!)

What ship doesn't have a captain's chair? It isn't just Star Trek. Navy ships have a captain's chair on the bridge.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Hobbes,

I guess my problem is, for those of us who haven't followed the series regularly, trying to get into it, we're seeing a show that's trying to emulate Star Trek. And it might be a small point, but not all spaceships need to have a captain's chair -- reference "Firefly" and "Battlestar Galactica". The chair itself -- particularly on a sci-fi starship bridge -- just screams (to me, anyway) "Star Trek."

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps