Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » SG-1: "Beachhead" ($$$) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: SG-1: "Beachhead" ($$$)
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You've got a bridge, you've got lots of space, why wouldn't everyone have a chair? That's just good ergonomics, not a Star Trek homage. Serenity has more of a cockpit than a "bridge," though I doubt there's a square-footage requirement in the definition, but anyway. Mal could take the other seat if he wanted.

I'm more bothered by the fact that Prometheus' poor commander is always getting shut out by whichever star is on his ship that week. I'm like, dude, Mitchell might outrank you but this is your ship, he's just cargo.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was quite pleased that Pendergast was back for this episode. He's been away for a bit while other people commanded the Prometheus... There was that guy in one episode and then Hammond in another...

And $$$ for the next episode...

Baal has been hiding out on Earth posing as a businessman. They probably did the voice thing with Nerus so that its not a shock with Baal's not speaking all Goa'uld-like.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think they ditched Nerus' voice mods because Maury Chaykin's voice works just fine and warbly without it - it would be a shame NOT to hear it normally. Though it was certainly effective to hear him go back INTO the voice when he went all evil and stuff. They should have gloweyed his eyes too while he did it, though. That has always been creepy to me.

And there ain't nothing wrong with the captain's chair! Plenty of SF ships before AND after Trek have had a Captain's chair. I see no real homage as just a sense of practicality - moreso than the typical Trek bridge, really, since the con/ops stations are right there with him instead of blocking the CO's view as most Trek bridges do. And it's always fun to see the Prometheus in action as it is here. With the addition of the Odyssey later this seson, Earth's defence fleet is finally starting to take shape - but against the Orii, this is doubtless not enough.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
and SGA is on C5 which no-one in the country can bring themselves to watch, I guess it's safe to say that chances for me catching up are limited.

Firstly, YOU should start watching SGA - cause if you find later SG1 complicated - jump in at the ground level. Atlantis is one FINE show. The first season was spectacular - and the second season has kept up the energy of the first, while adding it's own new twists.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by B.J.:
I liked the Goa'uld's disappointment with SG-1 after coming through the gate. He only got half the people he was hoping to see.

I had a similar reaction. I saw that Claudia Black was on this season and since she is the giver-goddess, I thought I'd try and catch up. Where'd all the McGyver go? Ooops.

Which isn't to say that I didn't like the first six episodes this season. Basically right up to the point where they unceremoniously disposed of Vala. From the start I was hoping the bracelet-bond would mean she'd be around for a whole season. (The joke about the limited gene-pool, priceless.)

As an SG outsider, I totally get what Snay is saying. It maybe doesn't upset me as much, but you have to admit they are borrowing a lot of material from Trek. Beaming whole buildings into space? C'mon guys.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Beaming whole buildings into space?

Yeah. I, uh, really, thought that episode was named perfectly.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seriously, what's the problem with beaming up whole buildings? The first time we ever saw an Asgard ship, it was beaming up whole buildings. Larger ones than that skyscraper, too.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It feels like too much power for the primary protagonists to have. Like, what problem can't be solved by beaming up huge chunks of real estate? Forget about, say, fighting for that sacred Jaffa temple. Just beam it into space, wait a few minutes, and beam it back down again.

But the physical act of teleporting the building didn't bother me as much as the idea of no one noticing, and that didn't bother me as much as the clone. The clone thing really bothered me.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wasn't the best of episodes - but yes, if you listenend to the reporter - LOTS of people noticed. Even though numbers of square-blocks had been evacuated. There were conspiracy theories abounding.

--------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

As per the news report there was not a single eye witness; what people were reacting to was a lack of rubble. Which ought to be a big enough clue on its own, granted. How about the lack of any blast damage to nearby buildings?

As far as overall quality goes, I rather liked it, except for the end.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

You said NOTICING not eye-witness.

--------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

Well, to the stocks with me, then?
bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yea, verily. No, but, so that's the classic Deus Ex Machina ending that all first-year writing teachers tell you to avoid. I was like, "Wow, well the whole building is a magic Stargate material bomb, let's see how our heroes handle that..." Ok, well why don't we just beam the building up into space. Golly, why didn't I think of that. And so the tension (?) was over and there's twenty Baals sitting around eating yogurt playing tri-D chess. It was just abrupt.

Beachhead was cool, though.

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just realized that the Prometheus still has the ring transporters yet has been retrofitted with Asgard beaming tech. It certainly came in handy to have the rings in "Beachhead" since Vala didn't know where exactly the cargo ship was, but other than that, why does the Prometheus still have them?

You know, with this info and the fact that they also used the rings in "Avalon", I think I just answered my own question.

B.J.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nothing wrong with keeping a set of ring transporters around... They more than likely require less energy or computational power or something to use, as they are meant for site-to-site transport in places that already have rings.

Oddly, Asgard transporters don't seem to have the need for a transporter "room" or somesuch. I think we've only ever seen them used basically wherever they need to be used...

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps