Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » BSG 2 x 08 "Final Cut" (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: BSG 2 x 08 "Final Cut"
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What he said. They explicitly say they had to sacrifice two raiders to get the footage, but that it was worth it.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or I guess that isn't explicit enough, as reported by me, but I am sure the Cylons back on Caprica (or, I suppose, somewhere else, but back at Cylon HQ) say that they received the film under cover of the attack.
WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm there's supposed to be TWELVE models of New Improved Cylons with Retsin? One for each colony perhaps?

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

Of course, now that I think about it, it could be that only the secret footage of Sharon was transmitted, and they picked up on the broadcast the same as the rest of the fleet. But if that was the intention, I don't think it clear.
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, so is the entire press corps composed of Cylons, or is it just these two?

For me this episode highlights exactly why (with all respect to Richard Hatch) a restart of the franchise was a better idea than a continuation. I don't think there's anyway a continuation would have managed this level of realisum and drama, while still remaining true to the romantisisums of the old show.
Having said that, there is a clear note of respect for the source material with that "warriors of the fleet" march at the end, during which I couldn't help but smile. [Smile]

Oh yeah and Xena's a Cylon; didn't see that coming.
Although in all honesty a little red flag did go up when she palmed the tape and we saw no more of it, but I just assumed it was going to be something they'd re-visit later on in the series.

I thought the scene where we get to see a dogfight from the bridge crew's perspective was a standout moment for me (and easy on the budget I assume), it shows how helpless they must all feel while the viper pilots are in an engagement.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, the exact dialogue was:

Six: "And the baby?"
Biers: "It was saved. We lost two raiders relaying the images back to the fleet, but, uh, I think the sacrifice was worth it."

So, it can only be said with certainty that she was talking about the footage of Cylon Sharon.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:
Of course, now that I think about it, it could be that only the secret footage of Sharon was transmitted, and they picked up on the broadcast the same as the rest of the fleet. But if that was the intention, I don't think it clear.

Seamed pretty clear to me.

--------------------

machf
Member # 1233

- posted      Profile for machf         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by OnToMars:

Also...

HOLY CRAP THE ORIGINAL THEME! OMG WTF BBQ AWESOME!

Yes, it was nice hearing it once again, slowly fading in at first, then at its full... Was it played sometime during the first season, or is this the first time since the miniseries?
OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was used very briefly in the miniseries during the decommisioning ceremony as the Twelve Colonies national anthem. I was dissapointed when they had the elections in the first season and didn't use it.

But having the guy sweeping the floor (which itself is a OMG WTF AWESOME moment, having a science fiction show that depicts a guy sweeping the floor) whistling it at first, then fading into the full theme was just a wonderful touch of writing brought to life.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
Okay, the exact dialogue was:

Six: "And the baby?"
Biers: "It was saved. We lost two raiders relaying the images back to the fleet, but, uh, I think the sacrifice was worth it."

So, it can only be said with certainty that she was talking about the footage of Cylon Sharon.

No. I can see how that could apply to all the footage, not just the deleted scenes. All that is clear to me is they needed to use raiders to retransmit the images back to the fleet.

Which begs the question "what fleet?" Do the Cylons call all their ships "the fleet" too? Are the Cylons calling Caprica "the fleet"?

That would be a mighty advanced comm system if they could transmit back all the way to Caprica. And I doubt the Colonial Fleet would transmit that signal in such a way that they could be homed-in on. If Caprica picked up the transmission the same as the rest of the Colonial Fleet, then they could track the signal back to the source.

That'd be sloppy and a security risk. More than likely the Colonial Fleet transmits via tight beam communication or they distributed the newsreal on tape to all the ships in the flee

I had to smile too when they were playing the original theme. I'm sure the purists will complain this is a smack in the face while others will feel it's a nice homage.

I knew she was going to palm the tape, but I didn't know she was a Cylon. Interesting twist or a plot device that's going to be overused?

quote:
No. The only one that was revealed to be a Cylon was Biers. Her cameraman/tech guy can still be a human.

If Biers makes guest appearances in later episodes it's going to raise the question why haven't we seen the other models on Caprica already? It's a convenient plot device/story telling method that they can't reveal the other Cylons to us until it becomes part of the story. We never see any of the other models wandering around in the background until after they are revealed to us as being Cylon.

I would love to see the Cylon doctor show up as a character on the Fleet or just in the background somewhere.

Or, I'd love to see a new model blatantly revealed to US first and then show up later in some scene aboard the Galactica. Normally we've only found out at the end of the episode "Oh! she's a Cylon!" Let's see an episode where we see the new Cylon first.

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HerbShrump:
...all the ships in the flee
[Smile] Nice little slip there. It actually kind of fits!

quote:
No. The only one that was revealed to be a Cylon was Biers. Her cameraman/tech guy can still be a human.
He wasn't referring to the camera man. He was talking about the guy (can't remember his name) that was left behind on Ragnar Station in the mini.

This episode also kind of backs up pregnant Boomer's claim that she is not in contact with the rest of the Cylons. Whether she's there because she want to be or whether she's part of a covert plan for the Cylons remains to be seen.

B.J.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

Something I just realised; if the Cylons needed to smuggle that footage of Boomer off of Galactic to know that she and the baby are still alive, then it would indicate that there's no contact between Baltar's Six and Caprica Six, because Baltar's Six knows all about Boomer and the baby. The Mystery deepens.

As for how the Cylons got the public broadcast, didn't Boomer mk1 reveal that there were several (8?) Cylon agents in the fleet. We know One was Xena, but one of the others could have found a way to get the footage back to Caprica, either by narrow band transmission from one of the rearguard ships or by quietly dropping a probe in their wake.

On the other hand the whole thing could have been taken directly from her memory, since she obviously must have uploaded/copied/synchronised herself with her Caprica counterpart. But then it's still unclear exactly how a Cylon's memory storage and transmission works, or even if it's transferable into anything other than a Cylon brain, instead of say a Cylon computer.

--------------------

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Right. It also makes me wonder even more about Baltar's Six's claim that she's just a figment of his imagination. If that's true, how did he come by various bits of information that only the Cylons would know?

B.J.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

Random thought; what if she really is a vision from 'God' (aka Dirk Benedict) and not a Cylon image/transmission after all?

There could be a third party at work here.

--------------------

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

Count Iblis?
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps