Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » BSG: "Lay Down Your Burdens, Part II" � The Big Surprise ($$$ beyond all belief!) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: BSG: "Lay Down Your Burdens, Part II" � The Big Surprise ($$$ beyond all belief!)
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fortunately at this point the Cylons have no idea that the Chrome Child is still alive. I was kinda hoping it'd be a while before they revisited that storyline, but as soon as they gave a recap of it at the beginning I knew I was outta luck.

Did that 5 say they'd detected the explosion, or residue from same? Because it thus dictates whether they've been biding their time for a year or came in as soon as they found them, and it follows from whether they always meant to honour the truce and there's now been a sea change back, or if it was a ruse all along.

No mention of what happened to Helo (although Battlestar Wiki mentions he was in Galactica's CIC?) or his Sharon.

If people desert to the surface from the military, I doubt Baltar would hand them back or let Adama send people in to arrest them. . .

Stockwell-Cylon(s) didn't mention what part in the Cylon plans the Farms played. Perhaps that's always been a going concern, separate from the war against humanity, and so would dictate the truce be broken in order to seize a large population of human bodies for harvesting/implantation/whatever.

Why is a Leoben looking for Starbuck? There has to be some significance that they'd pay CKR for about one line, they could have had a Doral/5 do the scene. It sems to me that the Leobens we've seen never really sang from the great Cylon hymnbook, they seem very human, almost, although in the case of the Ragnar one that could just be the radiation poisoning. If they're just after her as an escapee of a Farm, it would make more sense to get Rick Worthy back for that (unless he was unavailable; either way, deliberately using Rennie instead just complicates matters).

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Did that 5 say they'd detected the explosion, or residue from same?"

Since they said they just happened to be about a light-year away, I took it to mean they detected the radiation expelled in the actual explosion, which would have travelled that far in the intervening year.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Surely they can travel faster than 1 ly/yr?

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
5 specifically said they detected the signature from a nuclear explosion -- not the explosion itself.

And Helo was about the only person in Galactica's CIC besides the Admiral. Bill has Helo. Lee has Dualla.

And Gaeta's a chump.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Peregrinus:
5 specifically said they detected the signature from a nuclear explosion -- not the explosion itself.

What's the difference?

My impression is the Cylons had been looking for the fleet for a year. They were one light year away when they detected the signature of the explosion. It would take the signature of the explosion one year to travel that far. They had to be looking for them, why else be tooling around deep space one light year from that planet/star system?

Maybe Leoben's got a chip on his shoulders from Starbuck interrogating him. Perhaps this is a resurrected version of that particular Cylon. I know they (the Colonials) said "I think we're too far away for you to be resurrected..." but they didn't know about the resurrection ship then. Plus, Sharon was resurrected and they were just as far away, if not farther, when she died.

There is a lot we don't know about the intervening year. Have they kept Sharon locked up all this time? What about Dean Stockwell's character(s)? Are they on Galactica or on the planet? Alive or dead?

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Surely they can travel faster than 1 ly/yr?"

Surely photons can and do travel at exactly 1 ly/yr.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I liked my summary. Boo to all these words!

Presumably the Cylons are interested in Kara (Ought we even call her Starbuck anymore? Looks to me like she hasn't had a callsign in awhile.) for reasons related to what they took from her.

Roslin ordered the Brothers Cavell executed as soon as they finished delivering their message.

Last week I was thinking that the only thing that would be as creepy and abusive as the chief beating up Cally was the chief sleeping with Cally. Because, you know, there is a seriously uneven power dynamic there. Or I guess was. Still, I don't know, it is a little weird, and I am fond of close relationships in fiction that aren't romantic, because the romance angle is so common.

Here is the thing: this is awesome because it is like a whole new show now, but it is not awesome because I really liked the old one. I suppose this is the problem of the serial story, though. If you find yourself really liking a certain setting, a certain character dynamic, you may not want it to change, even if part of why you like it is how it grows and changes over time. See certain reactions to Buffy season four, or That One Alias Episode. (Or That Other One.)

Also, re Adama's shifting attitudes about how to deal with the government: to me this played very much like Adama had learned a lesson.

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
49,550 at the header. The population for New Caprica CIty: 39,192.

I'm half pissed, and half totally excited by this episode. To say the least, it's ballsy to do the "One Year Later" thing. Which makes me happy if only because it wasn't "One Year Prior". But really I liked the transition with the zoom in/out Baltar's head on the desk.

Holy Crap! Despite Lee's awesome prognostication powers, I can't believe Pegasus is still around post-nuke. I'm very excited about this. I'm also excited that they blew up Cloud-9, and almost like a real show A) adjacent ships got hit/destroyed by debris, and B) it took 1 year for the cylons to see light which had traveled one light year. This would never happen on Star Trek (*cough* Praxis *cough*).

I'm less excited about rumors about EJA leaving the show. I don't want that to happen, and actually I don't really want to hear rumors/spoilers without some warning. There's another thread for those into that sort of thing. (looking at you, Shrump).

So there I had a problem with a bunch of dialogue that was really corny and lacked some of the subtlety I'd sort of come to expect from this show:
quote:
Starbuck: "I'm not going back to one of those farms. If our descriminately helpful, and now armed Cylon prisoner is right, then you and I need to make an agreement."
Anders:"Ok, what kind of an agreement?"
S:"I'm not going back to one of those farms."
A:"Yeah, you mentioned that twice already."
S:"This is a gun, and we should take turns shooting one another instead of being captured."
A:"So, waitaminute, are you saying we do a suicide pact?"
S:"Sort of."
A:"Where one of us takes a gun, a pistol not unlike this very one, and shoots the other, rather than getting captured?"
S:"That's the kind of thing I'm talking about, yes."
A:"Man, you really are serious about not wanting to go back to one of those farms, Starbuck. I mean that you'd go to the extreme of killing yourself."
A:"Well technically, I wouldn't be killing myself, you'd be killing me."
A:"I just meant, you know, that you're serious."
S:"Yes. Yes I am. Totally serious. Because I'd rather die than go back to one of those farms. The farms: they were bad."
A:"We can dig it. Say, do you have any idea how this episode ran over an hour?"
S:"Not a clue. Also, fuck helmets, who needs 'em... Did I mention the thing about the farms?"

Were I Lee Adama, and opened the door to see the girl I might be sort of hung up on (except not) getting trashed with her new mister, I think that I would probably close said door, and come back some other time. Not out of any sort of discretion, necessarily, but there are certain sorts of pain you learn to dodge. Anyway I guess they needed to do that for the tension when she called, but that didn't really wind up anywhere, did it?

'Member how last time some of us were hoping they were heading somewhere with the Chief and Cally? Disappointed! I mean they were headed somewhere, but in the continuing tradition of relationships that make no sense on this show, Cally now has a bun in the oven. I do heart Simon's marriage of convenience/non-romantic relationship explanation, but given their track record with the capricious (caprican? tnx P), borderline spastic relationships on this show, I'm just guessing this was not a conscious decision on the part of the writers/show-runners.

Is it just me, or did they have AMAZING voter turnout for the election? I had just assumed that there were more non-voting children, or layabouts in the fleet. I was glad that Roslin and Adama made the right moral decision, even if it did ultimately doom humanity.

I get that it would take longer than a year to build anything significant on New Caprica, but it didn't look like there was anything more complicated than a tent city and some lean-tos on the planet. I literally gasped when they showed the landed Colonial One because I thought it was so frakkin' cool, but upon further reflection, I would hope there might be a least a little development, some foundations laid, a couple community structures up. Even with shite leadership and scant materials I can't see a population of 39K putting up with tents for what looked to be a wet and cold year. I think about day 20 where no one was building anything is when I'd start piling up rocks and mud and maybe even cook some bricks.

[ March 12, 2006, 10:20 PM: Message edited by: bX ]

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm wondering whether the Admiral's moustache is meant to hark back to the Adama: The Garbage Scow Years flashback from the beginning of the season. He had one then. Curious psychology, though - "I've been rendered useless so I'll grow some facial hair."

I just don't buy it. It can't be a dream, the show couldn't survive that revelation. Not even if it's Baltar-Six messing with his head. But all these sweeping changes are going to be really difficult to get past so the show can get back on track - meaning, rag-tag fleet, pursued by Cylons, looking for Earth. That's what the show is about.

It's safe to say that Baltar's days in the RTF are numbered, now - Roslin might get to be President again (but she doesn't need to be) but Gaius won't be VP and no way will Adama let him just sneak back into his role as BSG onboard science geek, not knowing of his Cylon association and after "losing" a nuke. Anders will be toast. Starbuck will get even more bitter.

Gaeta. . . appears to be honest. I don't think his job as Presidential Aide has anything to do with discovering the electoral fraud, after all he went to the Admiral with the evidence not Baltar. More likely he got a job because they'd worked together before on the Cylon Detection project, and Gaeta even went that extra mile to disprove Sheley-Six's accusations.

Is Xena: Journalist Cylon still with the fleet? If so, whatever way she used to get her documentary programme back to Caprica has been closed to her, otherwise she'd have tried to let the Cylons know the location of New Caprica. Unless it was easier at the time because the Cylons knew where the fleet was. Unless she suicided and took the info back in her memory (we don't know whether the one we saw watching the Sharon footage was the same one who'd recorded it).

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

"Were I Lee Adama, and opened the door to see the girl I might be sort of hung up on (except not) getting trashed with her new mister, I think that I would probably close said door, and come back some other time. Not out of any sort of discretion, necessarily, but there are certain sorts of pain you learn to dodge. Anyway I guess they needed to do that for the tension when she called, but that didn't really wind up anywhere, did it?"

I'm pretty sure the implication was that there was some later event which severely cooled the relationship between Apollo and Starbuck. The two of them hadn't been a couple for some time (if they ever really were in the first place), and Lee himself was seeing someone else. I really don't think a brief encounter wherein Kara makes out with her new boyfriend in front of him would be so devastating that, a year later, she would be reluctant to even speak to him.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I do heart Simon's marriage of convenience/non-romantic relationship explanation
I'm not sure I can take credit for providing one. It didn't occur to me that they might not have simply fallen in love. It's just that I liked Tyrol's seemingly paternal attitude towards Cally, and now that they are an item it feels weird, to me. (Like that "Our Mrs. Reynolds" cutscene. "Now we have to get married. I'm in the family way.")
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

quote:
I really don't think a brief encounter wherein Kara makes out with her new boyfriend in front of him would be so devastating that, a year later, she would be reluctant to even speak to him.
That was one powerfully awkward moment, though, to be sure.
HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oops. Sorry about that. Didn't mean to ruin anything for you. Must have gotten confused which thread I read that rumor in. I read it somewhere on here.

I got the impression some of Lee's bitterness also centered around Kara's derogatory comments duriing that drunken make-out scene about him being with Dee.

No, I don't see how Baltar can get back into the fleet now. Even if they don't know or find out his full involvement with the Cylons, he's still the president that rolls over and surrenders to them on New Caprica. Triator presidnets aren't accepted too much.

Will Xena journalist show her true colors now that her Cylon pals are around? And that nebula may jam outgoing transmissions too.

Paladin181
Member # 833

- posted      Profile for Paladin181     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I felt that the two Hero Cylons convinced the others to give the Humans a chance to prove themselves. Stockwellcylon does say that they are giving the humans a "reprive". After the explosion of Cloud-9, which I believe the Cylons saw before their invasion, the Cylons watched the colonists. Givin the Cylons accute sense of morality I doubt they would just be able to forget the humans, so I surmise that they stayed close to them to watch the humans on this new world. Seeing that the humans were less than worthy after that year's reprive they choose to move in and bring about peace. Just me to cents.
OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where's Zarek? Presumably he's the VP now, doing his own scheming thing. I think it would be interesting if Zarek were VP and was the one actually keeping New Caprica together and running. He used Baltar to advance his own position, but now that he's actually in a position of authority, he gets saddled with the actual job of the presidency while Baltar fiddles. It would give his character a new, interesting direction to go in, and it would reaffirm how they introduced his character but seemed to have subsequently dropped - namely, the fact that he's either a noble freedom fighter or a vicious terrorist, but we're not really sure. They dropped that ambiguity to his character, and I would love to see it come back.

Also, after Gaeta tells Tigh about the false ballots, as he's leaving the room, there is the barest perciptable trace of an evil smirk on Gaeta. From this, I conclude that Gaeta is a Cylon. You wait and see.

Finally, and this might be awfully juvenile of me, but damnit, part of the reason I tune in each week is to see Apollo and Starbuck kick some ass in some Vipers. With Apollo commanding the Peg and Starbuck baking pies, I don't think we're ever going to see either of them in the cockpit again, and that just sucks.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps