Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Star Wars » Death Star II Musings (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Death Star II Musings
Delta Vega
Member # 283

- posted      Profile for Delta Vega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok some questions that have been bugging me:

Where did the Empire get the raw materials for the construction of the Death Star 2? I mean, there were no visible scars on the forest moon, Endor, that might indicate mining.

And: How long was it under construction?

Thank you, I havn't watched SW:ROTJ for quite a while but these questions have been nagging me...

------------------
Scientists recently broke the speed of light with...light. That means that the light left the emitter before the emitter was turned on. How do you figure that paradox out?

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They probably brought in the resources from all over the galaxy. I'd imagine the station was under construction for a couple of years, but it's not clear exactly how long.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"I love you all. Now shut up. Danke." - Simon Sizer

Delta Vega
Member # 283

- posted      Profile for Delta Vega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is that how the Bothans tracked it? Or were they slaves putting it together? I do remember Moff Jerjored or whoever saying "My men are working faster." That kinda implies his men, so no slaves like the D.1?

------------------
Scientists recently broke the speed of light with...light. That means that the light left the emitter before the emitter was turned on. How do you figure that paradox out?

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Right. Of course, the Emperor seemed to imply that he wanted the Alliance to attack the DS, so maybe the info was actually "leaked" to the Bothans.

------------------
Frank's Home Page

Delta Vega
Member # 283

Well yes, but wouldn't a lot of freighters attract attention by other people. Black Sun or the Hutts might be interested.. And we didn't see any in ROTJ.
Maybe another moon orbiting the missing gas giant?

------------------

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

I doubt anyone would notice, especially if the freighters were special high-security ones, or anything like that...

------------------
Frank's Home Page

Delta Vega
Member # 283

Ok. Thanks Frank.

------------------

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is yet another point of how rediculous SW is. I mean, it's cool and all, but there is absolutely NO way that ANYONE could gather the materials and manpower nesecary to build a structure THAT FREAKIN' BIG inside the six months I seem to recall reading somewhere, or even the two years since the first DS blew up. 'Course, there's also no way that anything could generate the kind of energy nesecary to blow up a planet in that small a space. I believe that the figure was that it'd take five times the mass of the DS2 in matter/antimatter anhilation to do that.

------------------
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
- George Bernard Shaw

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

Well, I'm sure a caveman witnessing the destruction of Hiroshima would feel the same way.

------------------
Frank's Home Page

Xentrick
good to go
Member # 64

- posted      Profile for Xentrick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After seeing the capitol city of Coruscant in Episode I, I can believe that hundreds, perhaps thousands of freighter-loads of material and equipment could be sent directed to Endor's system from all around the galaxy without anyone blinking an eye.

The two significant differences between the SW "universe" and the St "universe" are Age and Size. SW has had "hundreds of generations" to establish industrial planets and huge populations across an entire galaxy, whereas the meager Federation has about 200 systems, some of them only hi-tech for the last few centuries.

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it possible that there were TWO Death Stars being constructed at the same time? You can terrorize the Alliance twice over with two of them.

------------------
"My Name is Elmer Fudd, Millionaire. I own a Mansion and a Yacht."
Psychiatrist: "Again."

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do believe that Star Wars can build Death Stars if they wanted to without seriously damaging the ecnomics of the galaxy. The industrial capacity is also superior than ST since they can build thousands of mile long Star Destroyers. The man power however is very hard as it would take years to build something that big with lets say 50,000 men. I would assume that about a million men and driods were out there building it.

------------------
Predict the unpredictable, but how do you unpredict the unpredictable?

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A MILLION? Ha! Try a billion.

------------------
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
- George Bernard Shaw

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And, in the SW universe, finding a billion workers might not be so hard. If you have millions of droids working, and a lot of slaves, it might be possible. However, it would still take a long time to build.

------------------
"Fragile. Do not drop"
--posted on a Boeing 757

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or no replicators. The SWverse seems to employ billions of droids, and no doubt being able to work 24/7 or 32/9 depending what a day and week is in the SWverse. Besides the fact, the galaxy is ruled by the Empire, getting the materials they need isn't hard when you rule every planet with valuable resources. The Rebellion on the other hand, uses much older technology, and getting new stuff isn't easy. I don't think it was an accident that the Trade Federation's technology looks so similar to that used by the Empire, even the droid controll ship had a mini-Death Star structure in the center. Whereas the Rebellion's technology and ships looks like that Republic ship in the beginning. Very nice continuity on their Lucas's behalf.

------------------
Thornbird: "I'm Major Robert Thornbird. And you are?"
O'Neill: "Captain James T. Kirk of the Starship Enterprise."
This post sponsered in part by the Federation Starship Datalink

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps