Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Star Wars » Death Star II Musings (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Death Star II Musings
Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eurm...even though the Empire would basically have to be a slightly different version of the Republic?

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"I love you all. Now shut up. Danke." - Simon Sizer

Teelie
Member # 280

- posted      Profile for Teelie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you go by the Extended Universe of SW (the books) then yes, the Emperor always built two of his super weapons.

------------------
Cute, cuddly, widdle teddy bears usually will eat you alive unless you can prove you're a god.

Ex-Admin, moderator at the TrekBBS.com

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frank all I was saying was that it was a nice touch how the TF's ships looked similar to the design of the ships that will be used by the Empire.

And how the Republic ship in the beginning of TPM looked similar to the Rebellion's ships.

Meaning that the Rebellion would be using old out-dated technology from the Republic era. While the Empire would have new and advanced technology, perhaps using Trade Federation as a means for procurring resources and ship design technology.

------------------
Thornbird: "I'm Major Robert Thornbird. And you are?"
O'Neill: "Captain James T. Kirk of the Starship Enterprise."
This post sponsered in part by the Federation Starship Datalink

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, but wouldn't the Empire just use the Republic's left-over ships? No need to build a new fleet if there's one ready for you to use.

------------------
Frank's Home Page

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Noty if the technologies on those ships are severely outdated. It would be like saying that the wooden ships a century and a half ago was still here they would be right now the flagships of the US's fleet. The only wooden ship in still active service is the USS Constitution although not serving a real active role in anything.

------------------
Predict the unpredictable, but how do you unpredict the unpredictable?

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

Remember, though, the SW universe doesn't exhibit the rapid tech changes we have today.

------------------
Frank's Home Page

USS Vanguard
i hate clowns
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for USS Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, maybe the Empire is going through a sort of dark ages, where the technology is stagnant with only occasional improvements

------------------
"Homer, you're dumb as a mule and twice as ugly,
if a strange man offers you a ride, I say take it"-Abe S.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the Empire is the ultimate bureaucracy, with a supreme leader on top of a very complicated hierarchy.

The thing is that bureaucracy naturally counteracts change and creativity. Say a brilliant young imperial scientist comes up with a great solution. Then the people over him get angry because they didn't think of it themselves and he makes them look bad. Then the scientist will be happy if he can keep his windpipes.

Therefor the working people in the Empire probably took it easy and tried to stay average so that they may live.
Plus, they probably wouldn't get the credit for it anyway, if we use Vader's interaction with the officer in the beginning of ROTJ as a dipstick. Flat out death-threats, should the quota not be met. Nice working-environment.

------------------
Ready for the action now, Dangerboy
Ready if I'm ready for you, Dangerboy
Ready if I want it now, Dangerboy?
How dare you, dare you, Dangerboy?
How dare you, Dangerboy?
I dare you, dare you, Dangerboy...

�on Flux, "Thanatophobia"

[This message has been edited by Nimrod (edited August 08, 2000).]

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

Well, there was a thread about this elsewhere...basically, the rapid change of the past century or two is very abnormal, and there is a point at which all the useful technologies will be discovered.

------------------
Frank's Home Page

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After all, who will ever need more than 640K, hmm?

------------------
"If Picard was set loose on a Monopoly board, he'd try and establish peaceable diplomatic relations with Marvin Gardens and give St. James Place wide berth so that its culture could develop without interference."
--
L. Fitzgerald Sjoberg
Read chapter one of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Because I'm the passenger, and I ride and I ride.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*Actually LOLs*
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Say, about those ships. Apparently, Victory-class star destroyers are rather old. Say perhaps near the fall of the Republic they came into service? Palpatine decided to make larger versions, and the Imperator-class was born.

------------------
"Fragile. Do not drop"
--posted on a Boeing 757

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

I imagine both should be around in the Republic, actually...

------------------
Frank's Home Page

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suppose that makes sense. But, obviously, the Executor is completely Imperial. Hmm. Those SSDs... Makes me wonder... *starts a new thread*

------------------
"The kingdom of God is inside you, and all around you; not in a building of stone or wood. Split a piece of wood, and I will be there. Lift a stone, and you will find me."
-The Gospel of Jesus, Stigmata

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps