Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Star Wars » I saw Star Wars and will start my own thread and no one can stop me! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: I saw Star Wars and will start my own thread and no one can stop me!
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the Republic is made up of many planets, including Naboo, and we've seen that Naboo has its own military, such as its fighter force and the Guardsmen who fought in the Trade Federation's attack.

Perhaps the Republic left the powers of military protection to the individual planets involved... thats why ordering the creation of a Republic army was so disruptive in the long run.. the lack of a unified military was part of a checks and balance system that made sure that the larger government didnt become more powerful that the pieces that made it up.. basically, once there was a Republic military, it took powers away from the individual planets (as did the 'emergency powers' act which allowed Palpatine to become a military dictator)... one the military power was out of the hands of the individual states making up the Republic, it removed their ability to assert their own interests over that of the larger federal body.

so basically, if anyone attacked any Republic world, it would be defended by their own military, not the Republics (again, what happened on Naboo).. plus i would assume that even if there wasnt a large naval force, those cruisers could also be designed and used as part of some sort of 'coast guard' system and then were ceded to the control of the new unified military force.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You simply can't have an effective government without a military. Naboo's "security forces" were crushed within minutes by a bunch of droids. The bulk of the elitest group of Jedi around would have been wiped out by a bunch of droids. Palpatine has now been the indirect owner of two seperate droid armies. So, again, why waste time with all this subtle decades long manuvering when you could just invade Coruscant and win in 10, 15 minutes tops? If it's that important to Palpatine to look like a hero to the general public, he can always appear to cut a deal with the invaders, placing himself bravely between the new "masters" of the galaxy and the masses.

And if the Republic had left defense up to the individual planets, then surely there would be legislation in place to call up those militaries for the general defense? And wouldn't that be a solution far more palatable to people like Amidala?

I'm afraid the fact of the matter is that Lucas' grasp on political issues is terribly shakey, and a strength of the first trilogy was that all the political stuff took place offscreen.

Of course, come to think of it, if the Empire was truly heir to a military tradition that was younger than many of its officers, that would explain the general level of incompetance at work within the Empire. Maybe, by galactic standards, Stormtroopers really are the most accurate shots in the galaxy. Scary.

Eclipse
Member # 472

- posted      Profile for Eclipse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snay:
By showing Padme on top of a penis-like object (the column), and with Obi-Wan's remark ("she's on top of it"), George Lucas is doing two things: a) providing a topic for Lee & Simon to discuss on their next phallicity ICQ talk and b) showing that Padme likes to be "on top." Which is good, because without his arm, I don't think Anakin could keep his balance.

ROFLMAO!
Free ThoughtCrime America
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Free ThoughtCrime America     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
When did farmers try to turn Annie and Ami into pies?
Watch Chicken Run, and compare it to the droid factory sequence. Lucas is a creative genius, yes he is.
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jedi go in, pies come out...

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Fedaykin Supastar
Member # 704

- posted      Profile for Fedaykin Supastar         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
apple pies?? [Razz]

--------------------
"Tom is Canadian. He thereby uses advanced humour tecniques, such as 'irony', 'sarcasm', and werid shit'. If you are not qualified in any of these, it will be risky for you to attempt to decipher what he means. Just smile and carry on."
- PsyLiam; 16th June

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First realization about the character of Anakin, made during phone conversation with friend: Anakin's technique with women? Pure Charlie X.
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
About the army topic: Private armies are forbidden in ep II, the Trade Federation's droid army is not allowed but they hide behind so many scheisters that they're virtually untouchable.

The Naboo world only had a security force.
The gungans didn't have interstellar spacetravel, so their army shouldn't be a threat to anyone, nevermind the fact that they've got no offensive weapons whatsoever, except for Electro-dampening grenades and bombs.
Well how convenient, when faced with a droid army...

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm going to take a wild guess that George Lucas lost his touch and sucks as a writer?

Ever since Episode 1, I always have said that Lucas should at least write the first draft then send it through a few good writers for plotlines and so on checks. His directing isn't that bad but still afterall he's not as good as your average director IMO. I mean look at Episode 5 and 6, they're not even touched by Lucas except for his name being in the credits from my understanding.

This movie, Episode 2, just supports what I think, in letting good writers and good directors take over before he really crumbles his favorite little hobby.

I hope to god that if they make a IJ 4, that he does not even come close to a mile from the scripts and the dirctors chair.

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IJ 4?

To clarify slightly, Episode 2 was co-written by someone. And...

"I mean look at Episode 5 and 6, they're not even touched by Lucas except for his name being in the credits from my understanding."

is just wrong. He came up with the story, wrote at least some of the drafts, and directed several parts of Jedi himself (and surprisingly, those are the Vadar/Luke/Emperor parts. I.e., the good parts).

I agree about Anakin though. People said they weren't convinced by the romance. I don't think you were meant to. I was terrified by him personally. Scary Jedi power weilding madman who STEALS WOMENS PEARS!

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Indiana Jones. Like, duh.

And that romance business was good for a few laughs, although I am convinced it wasn't intended as comic relief [Smile]

Free ThoughtCrime America
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Free ThoughtCrime America     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, I'm pretty sure Anakin was supposed to be a stalker. And you know, I'm not totally convinced that Amidala has a strong mind...so...
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
creepy.
Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was under the apparently wrong impression that Lucas never touched Episodes 5 and 6. So how come isn't Lucas doing what he did with those movies with Episode 1 and 2?

It's Indiana Jones 4, whcih he says he would maybe make after Episode 3 comes out.

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
So how come isn't Lucas doing what he did with those movies with Episode 1 and 2?

Because he doesn't want to?

Lucus did have the least to do with Empire (which is, coincidentally or not, the most popular/best), but he certainly did more than "nothing".

And anyway, he is. Episode 1 he wrote by himself. ANH he wrote (99%) by himself. Empire and Jedi he had someone else co-write teh script. Episode 2 (and presumably ep 3) he has a co-writer.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps