Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Star Wars » Star Wars III: Attack of the Mullets (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Star Wars III: Attack of the Mullets
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sure, They could have an all Jedi episode of Blind date.
All the hotties will say the same thing in their post-date interview:
"He was such a sweet guy, I felt I had to go down on him.....and something about not looking for droids and giving up Deathsticks and rethinking my life...."

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As a Star Wars Fan, I don't see a problem with the hairdos. I've watched the original Star Wars numerous times, the Special Editions just as many, and of course Episode I and II. I see nothing wrong with it.

Why are you all so cynical about everything?

--------------------
The Legend of Jeff Raven: As told by himself

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hair is the absolute least of Star Wars' worries.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
OMG! Yes! Again, someone else who agrees with me about the absurdity of Yoda in the fight seen. It was so obvious they sped his movements up so the audience's eye couldn't linger on the CGI creation for too long.

Sped up his movements from what? The stunt double tiny green man that was originally there?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Triton:
I won't be seeing Episode III, period.

Triton, I love you like an enthusiastic leper. But if that's true, I will eat my mouse mat.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was thinking about QuiGonn's attempted mind trick on Watto in Ep1 and about how bad that really was. The only reason we knew what he was trying to do was because we've all seen Episode 4. My guess is that people who watch the episodes in order for the first time won't get much of what's going on.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

djewell
Member # 1111

- posted      Profile for djewell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
that's true. And when he said "sped up his movements" i think they mean in relation to human movement

--------------------
"Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind."

-Einstein

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aban Rune:
I was thinking about QuiGonn's attempted mind trick on Watto in Ep1 and about how bad that really was. The only reason we knew what he was trying to do was because we've all seen Episode 4. My guess is that people who watch the episodes in order for the first time won't get much of what's going on.

Well technically Watto does give an explanation as to what Qui Gon was trying to do about half a second later.
"What, you think you're some kind of Jedi, waving your hand around like that? I'm a Toydarian! Mind tricks don't work on me, only money."
The fact that he was being sarcastic doesn't matter, the audience gets the joke.

Mind you, the Jedi mind trick was never really explained in the original trilogy either, all Kenobi said was:-

"The force can have a strong influence on the weak minded."

The term "Jedi Mind Trick" wasn't even coined until RotJ, by Jabba and by then the trick is old hat.

So I think it works fine whichever order you view the films in.
Of course the best JMT moment has to be in AotC, during the Outlander club scene.

"I don't want to sell you death sticks"

I laughed my arse off the first time I saw that.

"I want to go home and rethink my life."

I still love it. [Wink]

EDIT: I just remembered that the first time (chronologically) we saw the JMT was at the beginning of TPM, with Boss Nass. So you're right, that might not make sense.
Oh well.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

djewell
Member # 1111

- posted      Profile for djewell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You could pretty much extrapolate what was going on though.

--------------------

-Einstein

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Although I will admit to that going completely over my head during my initial viewing. Although that might have been due to my brain having been numbed by a combination of really pretty CGI, hoardes of Gungans, and Brian Blessed playing...a CGI Brian Blessed.

One thing I never got about that is how come Boss Nass managed to "set them up" if he was being influenced? Or was he not being influenced, and Qui-Gonn just thought he was?

--------------------

djewell
Member # 1111

Perhaps Qui-gon wanted to go through the Plaaaaanet Corrrrrrrre because he wanted Obi-wan to get training. That would also explain why Obi drove.

--------------------

-Einstein

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or then Qui-Gon's Jedi powers don't include Driving @ Insane Speeds 101, while Obi-Wan's (and Anakin's) do. Or then the padawan is simply always supposed to drive. And polish the shoes.

As for the hairdos, I'm all for a 70s look in a movie that wants to "recapture the magic". The overwhelming reason T3 is such a flop is because it is a 2000s eye-candy movie trying to act out a 1980s paranoia/dystopia plot. It's visually completely wrong. Flashy convertibles, impeccaple hairdos and colorful flat-display computers filmed from flattering angles don't cut it.

Flashy convertibles, impeccable hairdos and colorful flat-display computers filmed from unflattering angles, thrashed for good, portrayed as uncool and expendable... Now that would work, as in T1. Cameron at least tried with T2. Those rotating computer graphics, mobile phones etc. were not "showcased" even though they were hot at the time. (And the guns were real, and had correctly sized magazines!)

Lucas shouldn't stop at hairdos, though. 1970s camera angles; harsh lighting; "American night" and true darkness only instead of the "real night" shots enabled by modern film types; long lenses with objects between the target and the camera; targets off-center... All that should still work just fine. SW is a nostalgia piece first and foremost, not cutting-edge sci-fi.

(And even cutting-edge sci-fi looks best when it's "non-modern" visually. "Modern" is just another word for "utterly outdated in a year", after all. "Old" is the word for "something that didn't completely disappear in a year".)

Timo Saloniemi

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But how would he manage those nostalga shots when his entire backdrop is CGI?

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With a CGI "fore-drop", silly! [Smile]

Deliberate de-rezzing of CGI and modern film in general, to emulate a variety of past techniques, is a challenge yet to be properly tackled. DS9 did rather nicely with "Trials and Tribble-ations", in a limited sort of way (although I'd have liked more grease-lens shots of Dax, of course, not to mention the almost-upskirt angles TOS cameramen so loved).

Maintaining the hairdos across I-III and IV-VI doesn't seem to be necessary from the continuity point of view, really. The trilogies are temporally clearly separated. Seventies was in for IV-VI, that's clear - but there's no reason it should be in for I-III Coruscant, even if the backwater (backsand?) Tatooine maintains the same fashion from century to century.

OTOH, many things in the Republic/Empire, especially in the Jedi Order, could be expected to stay the same across millennia. And fashions on Coruscant in turn could be expected to change by the hour.

Timo Saloniemi

Capt.Blair245
Member # 1113

- posted      Profile for Capt.Blair245     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The fact of the matter is that Lucas already screwed up IV, V, and VI by making I and II look more advanced. What I'm asking myself is what difference will the hairdos do?

--------------------
Graffiti decorations/under a sky of dust/a constant wave of tension/on top of broken trust/the lessons that you taught me/I learned were never true
Now I find myself in question,
Guilty by association,

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps