Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Current games... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Current games...
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I enjoyed Warcraft II. Great game, great gameplay and really good atmosphere.

Warcraft III still has the atmosphere to a certain degree, but one thing is really bugging me... IT'S SO DAMN DIFFICULT.

In WC2, you could just play a single player 'custom game' for fun. You playing against the computer, on a fair speed, and plenty of time to think about your actions. In WC3 however, you're attacked within seconds, the computer builds huge amounts of units in no time, and you have to put every bit of energy into the game. It's so very very frustrating!

I've had this with more games recently. They are getting increasingly more difficult, complex and time consuming. You have to read through countless of pages of indepth analysis of unit strengths and weaknesses, priorities, strategies and whatnot. What ever happened to the old games that were simply FUN?

(I have to mention Serious Sam here. What a great game that was! Very enjoyable shoot-'em-up with large numbers of stupid enemies and Very Big Guns and no storyline at all!)

(I also have to mention Black & White! God, what an annoying game. That stupid creature never does what the heck you want him to do. I don't want to argue with my computer games!)

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't bought anything new lately, but I've been playing Civilization III a lot recently, and of course on occasional StarCraft game or two against my girlfriend.

Oh, and also F1 2002 on my dad's computer downstairs. Although I keep getting screwed over and something fails on the car before I can finish a full race.

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The359: "Although I keep getting screwed over and something fails on the car before I can finish a full race."

Try thinking about baseball.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WC3 is difficult only because the AI receives huge bonuses to building construction times, unit training rates, income per peasant/peon/acolyte/whisp, doesn't suffer from punishing upkeep like a human player, has the ability to cast spells a gazillion times quicker, etc. Not because there are clever algorithms at work. It's dumbed down enough as it is, anyway.

Also, comparing SS to WC3 in terms of how great a challenge they offer is an exercise in futility... mindless shooters cater to different tastes than deep & involving strategy games, and wether a game appeals to you depends on the type of gamer you are.

"You have to read through countless of pages of indepth analysis of unit strengths and weaknesses, priorities, strategies and whatnot."

That's a bit of a stretch. Sure, complex RPGs might require you to do a little homework, but you can't tell me WC3 puts such demands on you.

"What ever happened to the old games that were simply FUN?"

Remember, you were younger when playing those, ie. they enjoy the benefit of being watched through the rosy glasses of nostalgia.

Jubilee
...complete with cherries!
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for Jubilee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's a simple way to get around the computer in wc3. It cheats. So cheat back. [Wink]

--------------------
'Your spirit will always be the light that guides me... that guides me forever...' - Whispers

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've become very addicted to "Civilization III" in the past year or so, and am eagerly looking forward to the "Play the World" multiplayer version due to be ported to the Mac sometime soon...

I know you're looking for un-complicated games, but "Master of Orion III" is supposed to be a pretty good game, too.

As for simpler games... well heck, I can't remember any truly simple games that were still fun. I enjoy the strategy, figuring out how to get things done, and so forth. Even the venerable classics like "Star Trek 25th Anniversary" were pretty challenging in their own way...

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Counter-Strike ...

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nim:
The359: "Although I keep getting screwed over and something fails on the car before I can finish a full race."

Try thinking about baseball.

Baseball sucks though. Especially as a computer sim.

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about an air assault combat game? I heard that "Gulf War II: The Revenge" just arrived in stores this evening and is a real hit on CNN.com... [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
StarcraftStarcraftStarcraftStarcraftStarcraftStarcraftStarcraftStarcraftStarcraftStarcraft.

Freespace2Freespace2Freespace2Freespace2Freespace2Freespace2Freespace2Freespace2Freespace2.

I'm starting on Counterstrike though. Does anyone know how to set up voice audio on CS?

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't had any luck with it ... BUT! If you go here, and post in the tech forum, they can most likely help you. I got this from an older post there:

quote:
a) Microphone: make sure its plugged into the back on the right spot most default sound cards have 3 little holes, then go to sound in systray files,advanced options make sure MUTE for microphone is not checked.

Once that is complete try ms sound recorder

programs,acessories,entertainment, sound recorder. (this is for xp pro) i think its bit diff in 98.

Try that to see if it records. If it does record then we know it works.

From there setup the sound recording thing in Halflife

(I skip that sound recording because it sux doesnt give you correct levels of recording.) for your case i recomend u try it.

remember bind x "+voicerecord"

Make sure to find the [EGBT] Evil Geniuses for a Better Tomorrow server. It's aggressive gameplay (as in, if you're on the offensive team, and you camp before the objective is completed, you will be slayed/kicked/banned), so be prepared!

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Right now I've been playing the original Starfleet Command. And Arcanum. Really good CRPG.

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've actually been playing "Birth of the Federation" all over again...I forgot how cool it was in its day.

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aye! Too bad it's flaws sucked so badly, and they never released a sequel that fixed 'em.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They had at least one update that I am aware of. What specifically are you speaking of?

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps