Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Current games... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Current games...
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
StarCraft, Counter-Strike.

That is sooo 20th century. :-)

Granted, we play CS at the office during lunchbreak, eight of us.

My current games are "Neverwinter Nights" and that's about it, I pour all my strength into that game and there's no room for another game at this time.

Looking forward to "Runaway: A Road Adventure", though, it's been long since a good point-n'-click adventure like "Grim Fandango", "Full Throttle" or "Monkey Island".

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Freespace2Freespace2Freespace2Freespace2Freespace2Freespace2Freespace2Freespace2Freespace2."

You, sir, have taste par excellance.

"What specifically are you speaking of?"

If I had to venture a guess, the memory leak that started cropping up after ~100 turns, depending on hardware configuration.

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think he meant some of the general flaws in the gameplay. You could trade with systems that the Borg had wiped out, I seem to recall, and other things.

BOTF was one of those really annoying games. It wasn't that it deserved to be a late 70s scoring game, it deserved to be in the high 80s. But general bugs, annoyances, flaws, and silly things held it back. A sequel would have been good.

Still, it's easily one of the best 3 Star Trek games of the past 8 years or so.

And games aren't any harder nowadays. If anything, they're easier. You've all been spoiled by quick-saving. Quick-saving! I remember when you had to do the same part of the level over and over again. And there were slippery slidey ice-worlds.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been playing Red Alert 2 lately... I really want to get a copy of Yuri's Revenge. [Frown]

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I remember when you had to do the same part of the level over and over again. And there were slippery slidey ice-worlds."

I wonder if they'll ever make another Commander Keen game...

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Topher:
I've been playing Red Alert 2 lately... I really want to get a copy of Yuri's Revenge. [Frown]

I didn't think RA2 was all that good; quite easy really. Especially the Hawaii level (just send all ships up to the top right of the map and destroy one sentry gun and it's over) and any level with oil wells.

I'm playing Cossacks at the moment. Damn good game.

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Red Alert 2 is the best of the "Command&Conquer" games Multiplayer-wise, still.
The balance btw countries, the units, presto.
We played RA2 at work for a year during lunchbreaks and sometimes we brought beer and played to 20:00 on friday and then went out on the town.
Still do sometimes now, only with CS.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cartman: What, you don't think Freespace 2 is a great game? Why?

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My main problem with BotF was that the overall map SUCKS. There's no scrolling, and what scaling there is is useless. I'd also like to see a bigger playing field, and every species as its own potential empire. The diplomatic engine could have used some improvement. That memory leak got annoying, too.

And "Full Throttle" rocked! As does "Freespace 2". Too bad it's one of those games where the publisher was too dumb to make more than eight copies... anyone got a copy of "Wing Commander: The Kilrathi Saga" or "The Neverhood Chronicles", BTW?

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Valles
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Homeworld is (almost) all that is good in modern RTS.

Mechwarrior 4: Mercenaries is an FPS sans neurotic-twitchy-adrenaline-brainy-explody-speed. Also sans Oops!-I-died! Which can be a good thing or a bad thing, depending, but I think it's a good thing. (well, sans both of the above unless you're enough of a Real Loonie to drive a Flea)

I need to start playing Alpha Centauri again. If I can find the time.

Ah well.

Blessed be.
-n

IP: Logged
Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
@Tahna: on the contrary, I think FS2 is the best spacesim ever to grace the PC (I rate it higher than TIE Fighter, if that tells you anything). [Smile]
MaGiC
tutis per veneficus
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for MaGiC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it doesn't have 'Monkey Island' in the title I'm not interested......

--------------------
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO, What a Ride"

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm, reading through the whole thread.

Warcraft III: Yeah, the multiplayer AI is quite frustrating, but playing online isn't much better. There are a lot of fanatical players, with build orders, elaborate stratgies, etc....fanaticism inherited from Starcraft.
The thing is, you don't have to play with them if you don't enjoy it.
Personally, I found the single-player missions enjoyable, and well balanced. Even when I play multiplayer its with people from university that I know, and don't take it that seriously. In fact, they haven't gotten around to patching it yet....so from there its a simple step to read the fixes in the older patches, see what they toned down, and abuse it mercilessly . But I digress.
Cartmaniac: Does it really cheat? I mean, it just seems that they make sure every dollar they get is spent, they have no waste...every unit is potentially a fighting unit. And of course its going to be fighteningly efficient. Thats what computers are built to be. You can't fight them on their terms.
They have efficiency, we have brains. Out-smart them, go to islands because their invasion AI sucks, use jump-gates because they don't understand them well. And if you still don't win. Jubilee has the right idea

Speaking more generally, for the orginal post.
Still. there's an important distinction.
Difficult != complex
Its difficult to out-rail gun a top-tier bot in Quake 3. That doesn't mean its a complex game. Warcraft III is rather the same.

As Da-Bang mentioned. Starfleet Command....now THAT is a complex game

Re: Grim Fandango. Great game, really great atmosphere (a cross between film noir and native central america), great music. The puzzles are a bit arbitrary, but eh, no game is perfect.

Re: Commander Keen
Recent info link
On that note, I might add that the Star Control 2 remake is out, and is very sweet. Just google search around sourceforge.net and the phrase "The Ur-Quan Masters" or something.

Re: Homeworld. That was revolutionary, a decent plot, persistent fleets, total 3D movement, amazing 3D models. It still competes with newer RTSs in terms of "whoa." And its sequel comes out in a couple of months...right after exams [Smile]

Re: Mechwarrior 4: Never played it. Was a huge fan of Mechwarrior 2 (noteably, the first 3D accelerated game I played) and its 2 expansions. Mech 3 was downhill though, a bit dumbed down almost.

Re: Freespace 2
Higher than TIE Fighter?!?!? Sacrilege. Burn him!

Sigh, reading through this post. *Sigh* Its really sad how far Lucasarts (TIE Fighter, Grim Fandango, Afterlife, Sam and Max, Jedi Knight etc) has fallen. Even their last semi-decent game (Jedi Knight II) wasn't exactly astounding, while enjoyable........and they didn't make it. (Raven did)

Valles
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mucus:
Hmm, reading through the whole thread.
As Da-Bang mentioned. Starfleet Command....now THAT is a complex game

*blinkblink* And that's bad, why?

Now, if only SFCII had had decent singleplayer missions...

quote:

Re: Homeworld. That was revolutionary, a decent plot, persistent fleets, total 3D movement, amazing 3D models. It still competes with newer RTSs in terms of "whoa." And its sequel comes out in a couple of months...right after exams [Smile]

I know... *rapturous sigh*

quote:

Re: Mechwarrior 4: Never played it. Was a huge fan of Mechwarrior 2 (noteably, the first 3D accelerated game I played) and its 2 expansions. Mech 3 was downhill though, a bit dumbed down almost.

My earlier comments aside, it does play more like a somewhat slow-tempoed FPS - even the Atlas is relatively agile, at least as compared to my experience with MW3.

I've never really played MW2 - I own a copy, but haven't gotten into it due mostly to my lack of a joystick and utter loathing of inverted mouse controls.

Anyway, as compared to 3, 4 has a faster pace, -completely- different weapon balancing and customization systems, and far superior handling of environmental issues.

Mechwarrior 3 was a sim game. Mechwarrior 4 is an action game. If you walk in expecting a sim, you'll be sadly dissapointed. If you're willing to take it on its own terms, it's a far better game than its predecessor.

Blessed be.
-n

IP: Logged
Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Re: Freespace 2
Higher than TIE Fighter?!?!? Sacrilege. Burn him!"

YOU DARE SAY THAT??!?!!?

SEND HIM TO THE VOID!!!!!

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps