Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Todays's news goodies (Page 51)

This topic comprises 61 pages: 1  2  3  ...  48  49  50  51  52  53  54  ...  59  60  61   
Author Topic: Todays's news goodies
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I would not, no.
I'm sure some dumbass had though...someone like this dummy.

Or this moron.
One day this moron will buy real guns.
Guns are safe for babies...right?
Maybe guns are tools after all?
Thems some sweet dogs, yessir.
Damn tree trimmers!
The best $3 fraternal pizza- boy shootout EVER.

Happy New Year! Dont mind the falling bullets!

Now these are some extreme examples of retards with the same Second Amendment rights you and I enjoy- can you see why I'm for tighter gun regulations?
Maybe people where you live are somewhat more developed than the bozos down here or something- it hurts my brain to think the entire country is plagued such morons.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GUNS ARE OUR FRIENDS AND THEY ARE MADE OF CANDY GIVE THEM TO YOUR CHILDREN
Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jason, that's the thing...I don't have to deal with people like that up here. Those (for the most part) that deal with guns have been raised with them, and those that haven't either stay away from them, or accept them for what they are and go abou their business. I'd just like NY's gun laws to mirror Florida's, at the least...hell, I could probably even live with how picky they are issuing permits, if I didn't have to deal with the 10 round capacity limit. That's ridiculous to me.

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".
-George Carlin

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You remind me of another young conservative gunner bloke we had long ago. Thankfully he grew up. [Wink]

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*rolls eyes*
*rolls them again*

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sean, wtf DO you need more than 10 rounds? o.O

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bulletproof moose. It's a real problem.
quote:
Jason, that's the thing...I don't have to deal with people like that up here. Those (for the most part) that deal with guns have been raised with them, and those that haven't either stay away from them, or accept them for what they are and go abou their business. I'd just like NY's gun laws to mirror Florida's, at the least...hell, I could probably even live with how picky they are issuing permits, if I didn't have to deal with the 10 round capacity limit. That's ridiculous to me.

That's just it though- Florida's gun "laws" are nonexistant- any nut can purchase any gun rom a private seller at a gun show and bypass the background check and waiting period.

Sellers only need a copy of the buyers permit for their records (laughably easy to fake or alter).

Gangs do it all the time- and many "private sellers" unscrupulously sell in bulk to anyone willing to pay.

Somehow the NRA thinks thisis good and has fought to not only maintain this loophole but to make it the baseline for all gun sales- Brady Bill be damned.
quote:
Federal Firearm Licensed (FFL) dealers must follow the provisions of 18 U.S. Code, sect. 923(a) which includes conducting an FBI National Instant Check System search on any purchaser of any regulated firearm, including at gun shows.

Most states including Florida, do not restrict private, intrastate sales of firearms at gun shows. Domestic violence abusers, convicted felons, and people who are mentally ill can walk into any gun show and buy weapons from unlicensed sellers.

The Facts:
"In one year on average, almost 100,000 people in the U.S. are shot or killed with a gun.

Among 23 populous, high-income countries, 80% of all firearm deaths occurred in the United States.

The impacts of gun violence are estimated to cost U.S. citizens $100 billion annually.

A gun is 22 times more likely to be used in a suicide, criminal assault, homicide, or unintentional shooting than to be used in a self-defense shooting.

Guns are used to intimidate and threaten 4 to 6 times more often than they are used to thwart crime.

Every year there are only about 200 legally justified self-defense homicides by private citizens compared with over 30,000 gun deaths.

A 2009 study found that people in possession of a gun are 4.5 times more likely to be shot in an assault.

It is estimated that over forty percent of gun acquisitions occur in the secondary market. That means that they happen without a Brady background check at a federally licensed dealer. Sales from federal firearm licensees (FFLs) require a background check. Sales between individuals (including at gun shows), under federal law, do not require a background check.

Or read this.

Or just Google "Florida gun show loophole"

I know the genie of gun oownership can never be out back into the proverbial bottle but sane precautions for preveting felons, psychos and the mentally ill from buying guns should be a no brainer.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fabrux:
You remind me of another young conservative gunner bloke we had long ago. Thankfully he grew up. [Wink]

A bit before my time, I take it? [Razz]

And, for the record, I am far from conservative. Despite my support for gun and knife rights, which is quite strong, I vote democrat, for the most part. While I like my guns and knives, I'd also love for my gay friends to be able to marry, or to be able to afford healthcare when I am out in The World.

Pensive, realistically, 10 rounds should do you. By limiting things like magazine capacity, however, I hate to say it (because it is apparently the typical "gun nut" stance), we're a step closer to having all rights to firearms taken away. I'd hate to see that happen. While I hate NY's laws...I can live with them, and if I can't stand them, I'll move to another state that does support my rights. But once those rights are gone...they ain't coming back. The UK took a similar mentality way back after WWII...and now handguns are plain illegal to own, and they have gone so far as to make all folding knives with locking blades, and blades over 3" illegal to carry, because they pose a "risk to public safety". Instead of focusing on the idiots who are stabbing people, and making sure they don't, they just made sure that no one could carry such knives. This, when apparently most stabbings occur with kitchen knives. [Roll Eyes]

It just bugs me...those that want to limit such "dangerous things" believe that everyone who owns a gun or knife is a danger to society. The problem is that once those who used to be able to exercise their rights responsibly are unable to, you still have to deal with the idiots and criminals who were the real danger in the first place. They will do what they want regardless of what the law says. That's like giving the whole class detention because one asshole wouldn't stop talking, or making cars illegal because a handful of idiots drink and drive.

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

-George Carlin

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sean:

No, not really. We were all just astonished when Omega mellowed out.

quote:
The UK took a similar mentality way back after WWII...and now handguns are plain illegal to own, and they have gone so far as to make all folding knives with locking blades, and blades over 3" illegal to carry, because they pose a "risk to public safety". Instead of focusing on the idiots who are stabbing people, and making sure they don't, they just made sure that no one could carry such knives. This, when apparently most stabbings occur with kitchen knives. [Roll Eyes]
In Canada you can own guns, but the majority of them I would imagine are hunting implements. I'm not sure about hand guns because, honestly, neither me nor mine ever need them. Simply because no one else has or needs them and we don't have to walk around everywhere everyday scared shitless wondering if today is the day some fucktard is going to shoot at me, either because he's committing a crime or trying to stop someone that is.

quote:
That's like giving the whole class detention because one asshole wouldn't stop talking...
Actually, according to my friends that are teachers, this would happen more often than you'd expect. [Razz]

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here in Canada most gun owners do use them for hunting, as for handguns I think our laws are pretty similar to the states, take a test, get a license, and you're good. Actually in my area, there's a big stink about knives at the moment. Some 14 year old punk tried to kill a cab driver with a machete a couple years ago. I dunno, I think the kid is lucky that cabbie wasn't a gun owner. If it were me and I had a gun, it wouldn't matter if he were 14 or 40 I'd still put him down. I'd rather be alive and in jail than dead because some punk wanted to play "gangsta".

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

quote:
Originally posted by Da_bang80:
Here in Canada most gun owners do use them for hunting, as for handguns I think our laws are pretty similar to the states, take a test, get a license, and you're good. Actually in my area, there's a big stink about knives at the moment. Some 14 year old punk tried to kill a cab driver with a machete a couple years ago. I dunno, I think the kid is lucky that cabbie wasn't a gun owner. If it were me and I had a gun, it wouldn't matter if he were 14 or 40 I'd still put him down. I'd rather be alive and in jail than dead because some punk wanted to play "gangsta".

Well said. I find it odd that in the states at least, there is really no issue with anyone owning a machete (you can buy them in Walmart for $10), but small folding knives are supposedly a big problem. Boggles the mind.

Fabrux, it's not like those who do choose to go armed in the states are vigilantes. They don't do so because they're paranoid, and they don't do it to stop crime...they do it to defend their lives in the off chance that they are forced into a SD situation. The punk can have my wallet, but as soon as I feel he may shoot or stab me anyway...I will take action. The law isn't exactly on the side of those who act in self defense either, so it's often best to run away and avoid such situations. In some states, when a case is examined, if there was any possible way that the person who acted in self defense could have escaped the situation, and still stabbed or shot the attacker, he/she will most likely go to jail.

In short, running away is always the best choice. But if that avenue is closed...I want other options available.

--------------------

-George Carlin

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

I became an engineer, and decided I wanted systems that work. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Da_bang80:

Well said. I find it odd that in the states at least, there is really no issue with anyone owning a machete (you can buy them in Walmart for $10), but small folding knives are supposedly a big problem. Boggles the mind.

Tough to conceal a machete in your pants though...
(insert obligatory joke here).

And owning a machete is not the same as carrying it around with you- though I agree that folding knives are not something to freak out over- in Florida, the blade cant be longer than your hand is wide- and taht's plenty big enough, really.
quote:
Originally posted by Omega:
quote:
quote:

I became an engineer, and decided I wanted systems that work. [Big Grin]
We thought you had a stroke.
Good character development on you though- your writers are really doing a lot with you this season.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In my area I think the blade length limit is 10 cm (4 inches) or less. And of course anything spring-loaded is illegal, but Kershaw knives with the torsion bar aren't, for some technical reasons that may not always apply.

Anyways, the big reason for people having a problem with small folding knives and switchblades seems to be conceal-ability. Someone with a concealed weapon is inherently more dangerous than someone who wears it openly.

I carry my kershaw knife everywhere I go, I use it as a tool at work just like a screwdriver, even though both can be used to stab people...

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

Everywhere I go, sans a public school, I carry at least one knife. Generally not assisted opening, but almost always with a blade of 3" or more. Usually, it's two, one larger blade, and a smaller, people friendly knife. And yes, "everywhere" includes college. Thankfully, "common pocket knives" are perfectly legal to carry on my campus. NY doesn't have any limit on length, but both folders and fixed blades must be concealed (although I hardly call a knife clipped onto a pocket concealed)...the only thing that is explicitly illegal are automatic knives and balisongs.

That is, unless you decide to go to NYC...in which case a butter knife is a freakin' WMD.

--------------------

-George Carlin

This topic comprises 61 pages: 1  2  3  ...  48  49  50  51  52  53  54  ...  59  60  61   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps