Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Spelling errors (Page 1)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Spelling errors
Mountain Man
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Since I've been having a serious poblem with spelling since starting to use a PC, I did a little research on the problem. For one thing I found that My tendency to add a d to college comes from studying translations from eastern europe. A phonetic thing there, even the universities misspell it in some of their literature. Anyone else had this sort of problem? And are there any online tutorials that can help in learning the use of the key board?
IP: Logged
Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dictionary.com is your firend, as well as mine.

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"in learning the use of the key board."

I love this.

Mountain Man
Ex-Member

And the proper expression would be? Really though I recognize that I have a problem here. I've been visualy impaired most of my life. reading and writting are very difficult for me. So if any one has any suggestions about how to improve on this I would like to hear it. The dictionary link I'll check out. Trying to look things up in books has become very difficult. Headaches and eyestrain make consentration difficult. More so in recent weeks this can lead to short temper and so on.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am going to guess it isn't an issue of "properness" but instead old-tymeyness.
Mountain Man
Ex-Member

Oldtimey is cool. I'm new to trying to use the personal computer but I'm probably a lot older than you guys. Thats why I'm more interested in early Sci Fi than recent movies. Sci Fi was always one thing that really captured the imagination. As my vision has improved I've tried to get back into it. Still going to take awhile. And part of what I was trying to figure out is how the typo thing still seems to be a problem with more experianced users.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's going on here, anyway? We've had a 50+ and a 13 year old join in the same week. Is it "extreme age recruitment day", or something?

Besides, 53 really isn't that old. Or indeed, old. Go to the opticians and get a pair of glasses, like a real man. Go on. Grr.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Mountain Man
Ex-Member

Liam my vision problem was caused by damage to the optic nerves due to a post operative infection and cannot be corrected by wearing glasses. The nerve sheath was damaged,I do wear glasses. I require three different pair since the trifocal thing doesn't work for me. I was almost totaly blind for awhile and have great difficulty even now. The dictionary link looks like it will be a great help, any other links of this kind are welcome. I've got a lot of catching up to do.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did you do what most Yanks do at the drop of a hat, and sue them? I'm guessing there isn't any sort of corrective surgery that can be done...

But, er, for advice, the best I can come up with is...read stuff.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Mountain Man
Ex-Member

Unfortunatly corrective surgery caused the problem. Failure of a prothesis. Alloy was off in the pins. Since blindness was the only alternative, to having the operation and since my sight was saved even though it did not turn out as well as I'd hoped, the Idea of a lawsuit never occurred to me. In fact the attitude toward lawsuits is very different in this part of the country. Litigation is frowned on here.At least in those days. BTW one of my family fell ill while in england sometime back and was treated at a clinic of some sort in london. They had never heard about socialized medicine and were suprized when told there would be no bill. They also said that the medical personel were very efficent and well mannered. Don't see much of that in the US any more.

[ September 05, 2003, 04:31 PM: Message edited by: Mountain Man ]

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Now is not the time to be getting into how much we rule.

--------------------

Mountain Man
Ex-Member

Rule thats a good one. Any way just because some Brits are weenies, I don't hold it against the rest. Whats the deal, no pride? Any way this thread has probably shown about all the good results that it ever will. That dictonary link is great. So I'll just let this slide for now and if anyone wants to delete it,its fine with me.
Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did rule, since the two world wars you holding have diminished....

Don't let misspelllings bother you to much,sense we all make them anyweigh, as Jason and I can attest.

Jason and I, that sounds kind of funny to me, as I am also Jason, almost like I am talking with one of my other personalities or some such...

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Did rule, since the two world wars you holding have diminished....

We'll be back, just you wait and see... [Smile]

Hey, MM which Brits are weenies?

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tony Blair. DARKSTAR. James II.
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps