Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Congress to criminalize p2p technology? (Page 3)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Congress to criminalize p2p technology?
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:

Andrew: Such as what? Exactly how many songs are available on Kazaa that are impossible to buy anywhere, ever? And if your TV is anything like ours, it'll be almost impossible to not find a music channel that caters to you.

Not going to get too far into examples but I'll give one:

deleted albums/beesides

Tori Amos' first album "Y Kant Tori Read" - only a handful of copies made and she has explicitly stated that it will NEVER EVER be re-released. So downloading it for free is the only way to get it unless you'd want to buy it off some "cd-collector" for 1500x the original price.

Beesides are often released on a few singles not available in all countries and then deleted after a few months.

And basically - Australian Television while there is a new digital service for paytv now - NO there is NO radiostation that caters to my or a lot of my friends musical taste - and then when are you going to be able to listen to it when you want?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Unless Canada truelly is the craziest place in the world, I'm going to suggest that downloading copyrighted music is just as illegal over there as it is everywhere else
Well I guess we are the craziest place in the world.

Downloading legal.

It comes from a levy place on recording material, which was pushed for by the Canadian recording industry. We now pay a certain amount, depends on the media, in taxes which go to the Canadian recording industry. They pushed for this originally on cassette tapes because they thought they were losing money to people who record music for there personal use. Now they have found that they have screwed themselves because the measly pennies on a cd are being far outstripped by the loses from people not buying overpriced recorded cd's.
It's a case of an industry shooting themselves in the foot.

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Talking about an industry shooting itself in the foot...

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

Cartman
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
And I'll also say that I do largely agree with you, Cartman. I'm just not keen on the ever so slight hypocricy that comes up on stuff like this, eg "I never download illegal music, ever!". But yeah, 10 year prison sentences are stupid, music is vastly overpriced, etc etc.

I have no special love for hypocrisy myself. So when I read something like this, knowing that the congressmen pushing for the legislation on P2P programs are on the RIAA's payroll and that said RIAA likes to feed people false and misleading information, including artificially deflated sales figures (because it really isn't about music theft or intellectual property violations, but about the profit margins of an industry that has been relying on obsolete, pre-internet business models for 15 years and is now shifting the blame for its conservatism to consumers), I get aggravated. And when I then think of the double standard employed by companies like Sony (one of the loudest members of the RIAA) that on the one hand condemn piracy and on the other collect millions with their CDRs, VHS tapes, and DVD-R/DVD-RW/DVD+R/DVD+RW/DVD+whatevers, which I have to pay a COPYING TAX for (see Grokca's post), I get REALLY aggravated. Yes I do. And a simplistic argument like "they're trying to stop people from stealing music" doesn't go over too well with me when I'm aggravated. As you've no doubt noticed by now.

(And I hate slapping you with another link, but: http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/01/27/1043534002352.html)

Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A new ruling out today, we're still the craziest.

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So what happens if I join a Canadian P2P network?

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Toadkiller
Member # 425

- posted      Profile for Toadkiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ritten:
A loop hole does exist....

The club I belonged to here in IL, nothing but a private bar really, pays royalty fee's, as anyone must that runs a juke box or has bands come in. The cost of which can't be that expensive, for the club anyway, or the cheap bastards there wouldn't have any music except CMT, VH-1, etc....

So, CC turns Flare in to a non-profit group, which can be nothing more that a place for a meeting of disimilar minds, we pay the dues, and have royalty rights...

Cool - Flare, LLC ... it could rule the world and/or get bought out by Viacom.

--------------------
Twee bieren tevreden, zullen mijn vriend betalen.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Psyliam: "Exactly how many songs are available on Kazaa that are impossible to buy anywhere, ever?"

I love downloading movie/TV-show soundtracks.
Clint Eastwood's "Kelly's Heroes" , Kevin Dillon's "Private Eye" (man was that a great show), the "Brunnen-G song", the "Dune" soundtrack, the "Tropical Heat" theme (Nick Slaughter is my go-to man), "Smokey & the bandit", "Foist Blood", ooh! ooh! Clannad's "Robin of Sherwood" songs ("My money's on the templars"), that is some great stough.

Also, most of Basil Polidouris' splatter-movie soundtracks seem to obscure to find here in Stockholm. RoboCop, Conan, Total Recall, zip, nada, pesto.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If only there was some sort of online store that sold CDs...

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Cartman
Member # 256

And that didn't charge exorbitant shipping costs, and customs didn't levy import taxes...

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where do you buy your CDs?

Look, I'm not disagreeing that singles are massively overpriced. But neither do I think that everyone has some sort of divine right to all music ever made, for free.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which is okay, because I don't like all music, just some of it....

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Obi Juan
Who's your master?
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for Obi Juan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cartman:
Of course. And I'm just as sure there isn't a single piece of illegal software anywhere on your harddrive, and that you have never downloaded mp3s of some band's songs before buying their CD EVAR.

Before buying the CD? I'd say without buying the CD. If you download a band's songs and then buy the CD a couple of weeks later, then it seems to me that P2P has just assisted the record company in making that sale instead of costing them money.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I bought Interpol's CD only after downloading several songs...so what's the harm to the RIAA?

Simple: bands that have only ONE good song will suffer because buyers wont want to buy shit like Crazytown if only one song is worth lidtening to (and even that got really old- really fast).

So: either the RIAA will pay off whoever they can to criminalize P2P networks or bands or they'll have to feature bands with more substance.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"...buyers wont want to buy shit like Crazytown if only one song is worth lidtening to (and even that got really old- really fast)."

Weren't they the ones who made a whole song just by looping three seconds of a Red Hot Chili Peppers song about a hundred times, and singing some insipid drivel over it? And then the song was fucking everywhere?

[ April 03, 2004, 02:14 AM: Message edited by: TSN ]

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps