Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Congress to criminalize p2p technology? (Page 6)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Congress to criminalize p2p technology?
Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very few, none, they are rarities....

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"But a couple of pages of a book is fairly useless by itself, whereas a single track from an album works fine as a self-contained entity."

Perhaps, in the case of a novel. But, what about a book of short stories, or a non-fiction/reference book? A handful of pages might contain all the information you need.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I bought Puddle of Mud's new album after downloading about half of their first one.
Then I had a friend burn me a copy of the first album.

So although I was enticed into buying an album based on songs I'd downloaded, I also made a copy (protected here under fair use laws, as long as it's not for profit) for just the cost of the CD wich, of course, the RIAA made zero money.

It's not as if by (somehow) outlawing P2P networks, the RIAA will prevent anyone with a friend and a computer from duplicating music.

Their petty little crusade is giving themselves a black eye and their sales are at record highs so why are they pushing the issue?

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You deserve to be:

Prosecuted to the fullest extent of the Law.

and

Prohibited from ever touching a computer again.

For such Godawful taste in music.

Puddle Of Mudd is like a self-given enema with spiked metal shards in a molten liquid base.

Good Lord.

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Although it is mildly amusing, the enema anyway.....

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey: it's GREAT breakup driving music.
I never equated it to Vivaldi or anything.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"A handful of pages might contain all the information you need."

And even if they don't, what you read on them might persuade you to buy the full story after all.

"I don't think it's necessarily true that people will go out and buy albums of songs they've downloaded for the increased quality, because 99% of people can't tell the difference."

No, people don't just buy albums for the increased quality. They buy them because they like owning the originals instead of blank CDRs with no extras. And, again, the industry is actually scoring record sales, so it's a moot point wether people can tell the difference or not.

"I've bought some albums based on songs I've downloded, but I'm not kidding myself that it's anywhere near the number I haven't bought, even from artists I've liked."

But would you have bought more albums if you hadn't downloaded those mp3s first?

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Puddle Of Mudd is like a self-given enema..."

Thus, their name.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cartman:
"A handful of pages might contain all the information you need."

And even if they don't, what you read on them might persuade you to buy the full story after all.

Yes, but it might not. They might decide that those pages are all that they need, therefore they don't need to purchase the book. Can't you photocopy a certain number of pages from books for certain reasons (universities presumably put photocopiers in their libraries for a reason). And how strained is this metaphor getting, anyway?

quote:
No, people don't just buy albums for the increased quality. They buy them because they like owning the originals instead of blank CDRs with no extras. And, again, the industry is actually scoring record sales, so it's a moot point wether people can tell the difference or not.

Ahh, now see, this is a more persuasive argument. Despite the ever increasing number of films being downloaded on the internet (at DVD quality in many cases), sales of DVDs are actually higher than they've ever been. The large number of extras available on a DVD could be one of the reasons.

Of course, there's also the fact that movie/TV show downloading isn't quite the same as song downloading. No-one's going to just get 5 minutes of a film.

"I've bought some albums based on songs I've downloded, but I'm not kidding myself that it's anywhere near the number I haven't bought, even from artists I've liked."But would you have bought more albums if you hadn't downloaded those mp3s first? [/QB][/QUOTE]

No. But there's also a few albums that I meant to buy, never got around to, and eventually just downloaded. In fact, in the last 4 months I've bought *checks* an Oasis album, a Darkness album, and two Coldplay albums. The Oasis one I'd have bought anyway, the Coldplay ones I'd been meaning to get for ages, and the Darkness one came from TV and radio listens.

But then again (to counter argument myself), I never really bought albums before I started downloading music.

Basically, I know I'm stealing stuff. I do try and buy albums if I like them, but I don't always. I'm just mainly annoyed with the fact that EVERYONE seems to say that the only mp3s that they have on their computers are ones that are impossible to buy, or rarities, or that they've bought the albums. I've seen peoples mp3 collections in real life, and it doesn't really bear those arguments out. Buy anyway...

The music industry quite plainly cannot continue in the current fashion. But it also can't continue with everyone in the world downloading music for free. In the 70s, movie makers were adamant that they'd never release their stuff on video. They thought that the existence of home recording would damage cinema ticket sales irreporably.

So, what's the solution? Songs available for 5p a download? Custom making of your own albums, paying a certain amount per track and a bit extra for coverart and stuff? The first minute of songs being available free to download, with you having to pay for the rest? A flat charge payed to a record company every month, with unlimited downloads?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
I also made a copy (protected here under fair use laws, as long as it's not for profit) for just the cost of the CD wich, of course, the RIAA made zero money.

Er, while it's fair use to make a copy of something you own, I'm pretty sure that "making a copy and then giving that copy to someone else" doesn't count as fair use.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps