Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Homosexuality in Star Trek - where is it? (Page 11)

This topic comprises 16 pages: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16   
Author Topic: Homosexuality in Star Trek - where is it?
Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You should first define True Christianity, and that, as you may be aware, is a small point of contention even among those claiming to be Christians.
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why thank you Stephen. I just hope you won't hold it against me that I speak with an English accent and therefore am clearly bisexual. 8)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is an affectation. Ignore it.

Still, I'm shocked that this has managed to stay as rational as it has. I am also mildly amused that the "God doesn't exist in any way, I am right, because I say so" people feel the need to proclaim that over and over again with almost...religious fevor. Does it make you feel better mocking people who do believe in God?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Obi Juan
Who's your master?
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for Obi Juan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
It is an affectation. Ignore it.

Still, I'm shocked that this has managed to stay as rational as it has. I am also mildly amused that the "God doesn't exist in any way, I am right, because I say so" people feel the need to proclaim that over and over again with almost...religious fevor. Does it make you feel better mocking people who do believe in God?

No. However, I rather enjoy mocking bigots, especially when they say religious beliefs cannot be called bigotry. I never said that all Christians are bigots or that even a majority are.

Hell, all I really wanted to know is if a certain homophobe thought that his "you can't call it bigotry when it is a religious belief" defense applied to those who used it as a justification for burning crosses on the lawns of people whose skin might be a couple of shades darker than theirs.

--------------------
"Existence is random. Has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it too long. No meaning save what we choose to impose. This rudderless world is not shaped by vague metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It?s us. Only us."
Rorschach

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To which the answer is that you are drawing a false parallel between disapproval of a lifestyle choice and hatred of someone's genetic makeup. There is zero similarity.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Cartman
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Omega:
To which the answer is that you are drawing a false parallel between disapproval of a lifestyle choice and hatred of someone's genetic makeup. There is zero similarity.

"Disapproval"? Is that what you call it? Then let me ask you a question: is it your lifestyle choice to be a bigot, or just your genetic makeup?
Omega
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
big�ot, n. One who is strongly partial to one's own group, religion, race, or politics and is intolerant of those who differ.

Since I have displayed no intolerance, simply disagreement, the only answer to your question can be "no".

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Are we back to that "choice" silliness again? No one chooses what they're sexually attracted to.

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ladies, please. Is this gonna have to be moved down to the flameboard? [Razz]
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Just because some guys claiming to be Christian did damage in the past doesn't mean you should write us all off.

In the past?
See: Pat Robertson

Just because the majority of Christians consider themselves to be "right" and "tolerant" sure does not mean that those who differ from your viewpoint should automatically trust you.

Nobody thinks of themselves as being wrong about anything their god (supposedly) approves of, so religion has become a crutch to sway and motivate believers to hate whatever their religous leaders want them to hate/discriminate/disapprove of.

In short: The masses are asses.
Indivudals are smart, people are dumb.
Treat each person as their own little universe with unique quirks and standards and don't judge them based on your own rules.
Or kill them.
Witchever.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
Nobody thinks of themselves as being wrong about anything their god (supposedly) approves of

False.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Really?

Site an example where you'd be at odds with the christian God's direct spoken word (assuming you're jewish, christian or any of the refits, variants or kitbashes thereof).

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Omega
Member # 91

Are we back to that "choice" silliness again? No one chooses what they're sexually attracted to.

Again with the use of non-synonymous terms interchangably. Please don't do that. Again, for future reference: lifestyle != attraction.

Just because the majority of Christians consider themselves to be "right" and "tolerant" sure does not mean that those who differ from your viewpoint should automatically trust you.

I didn't say you should. I said you shouldn't let your prejudices get in the way of rational thought. If you're going to judge ME, or some other Christian you know, or our beliefs in general, don't judge Pat Robertson or Torquemada and simply transfer that judgement to someone else who happens to have the same name.

Cartman
Member # 256

"Again with the use of non-synonymous terms interchangably. Please don't do that. Again, for future reference: lifestyle != attraction."

Ah, so while you don't have any problems with homosexual attraction (it being part of someone's genetic makeup and all), you just don't agree how they express their feelings?

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That seems a little strange to me, I will tell you that right now.
  This topic comprises 16 pages: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps