Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Homosexuality in Star Trek - where is it? (Page 8)

This topic comprises 16 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ...  14  15  16   
Author Topic: Homosexuality in Star Trek - where is it?
MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Masao:
We never same homosexuality on TOS (except for those who chose to see it). But in Metamorphosis, Kirk and the boys suggest a rather open attitude towards relationships in the 23rd century.

That's a great bit of dialogue. I'd forgotten it!

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suppose, at, a pinch, you could use the non-reaction of everyone in "The Emperor's New Cloak" as a sign that Starfleet (or at least, Sisko) doesn't get all whipped up (in either way) by the sight of two ladies kissing.

Of course, Sisko could be hating the white ho's on the inside. Word up.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Obi Juan
Who's your master?
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for Obi Juan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Omega:
Don't you people know that hate is all right when it's endorsed by God?

Hate endorsed by God? When/where/what?

When is it not? You are telling me that some people do not use God to justify their petty little hatreds? Don't tell me you don't. I don't really care. Maybe you worship a kind loving God (or rather you are not a prejudiced person so your god is not). I did not say that all people who believe in God are racists, or even that all of the ones who are racists use God to justify their hate. However, a large number of racists base their hatred on God. Most organized racist groups are based around religions.

The Jews killed Christ and must be exterminated. You're right, no hatred there. What was I thinking? Religion has been used to justify slavery, every type of racism, sexism, and any other hatred imaginable. "When/where/what?" Hell I was replying someone that justified a hatred as a religious belief and said because of that, others could not condemn him for it. It's not prejudice if God says it's OK. Hell that's what started this whole tangent: "it's not a prejudice�it's a religious belief."

The real reason I brought this up was not to attack Phoenix or religion. I actually was hoping to get a response from Phoenix. I would sincerely like to know if he thinks his own justification would apply to others such as KKK member who justifies his beliefs because it is a religious belief. Does this mean he is not a racist? If it doesn't, why not? What's the difference?

--------------------
"Existence is random. Has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it too long. No meaning save what we choose to impose. This rudderless world is not shaped by vague metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It?s us. Only us."
Rorschach

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

It made no sense when I re-read it...

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Play nice, children.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are telling me that some people do not use God to justify their petty little hatreds?

AH! I finally get it! The reason you're not making any sense is that you keep interchanging terms that aren't synonymous. Please note, for future reference: the Catholic church is not God, people who use God to justify their hatred aren't God, and disapproval of actions is not hatred of those acting. Thus Christians disapproving of homosexuality is not an expression of hatred, nor were the Catholic Crusades an endorsement by God of hate. Are we on the same page now?

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Homophobia and bigotry are hardly exclusive to the catholic church.
Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nor is pedophilia - but all three should be on their business cards...

--------------------
'One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.' - Lazarus Long

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Treknophyle:
Nor is pedophilia - but all three should be on their business cards...

I fucking love your posts.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Because Catholic Church = Paedophile jokes are, like, sooooo 2003! To the max.

--------------------

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
gives a whole new meaning to the term 'priest hole'...

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Er, what was the old meaning to that term?

--------------------

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gives a whole new meaning to "Having a priest's penis in your bum," too.

Well, maybe that's not so euphemistic.

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
nor were the Catholic Crusades an endorsement by God of hate.
No, God's endorsements of hate are mostly in the OT. You know, "Go into that town there, my chosen savages, and kill every living thing except the young virgin girls. Those, you can rape."

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Proteus.

A 'Priest's Hole' was a hiding space (usually in the church) in which the clergyman could secrete himself if in danger.

BTW: I'm not a God basher. I'm also not an Easter Bunny basher. You can't hit what doesn't exist. Sorry if I'm hitting some people where it hurts - but console yourself with the long view:

500 years from now - people who believe in things they can't point to won't be mocked - they'll be medicated.

--------------------
'One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.' - Lazarus Long

This topic comprises 16 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ...  14  15  16   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps