Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Duty shifts? (Page 7)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Duty shifts?
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would have thought she was all stretched out after having Wesley....

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i find it fascinating to imagine that if that is the case, Pulaski and McCoy wouldve faced similar training scenarios, both of them being commanders. (although McCoy already had some basic command certification if you believe Duane's 'Doctor's Orders' )
Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Remember that episode of DS9 where Eddington stated that you don't get to be a captain wearing a gold uniform? Yet Scotty was promoted to captain in TSFS.

So, maybe this Bridge test and the above mentioned were part of some regulations change in the early 24th century.

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, we also saw an Admiral in gold -- head of Starfleet Security. I think Eddington's comment meant captain = commanding a ship. Scotty's promotion didn't put him over Styles.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or simply that reaching the rank of captain without transfering to command track is very difficult. I mean, let's say you're an engineer, right? So promotion is based on open slots, essentially. You're not going to get that position as Assistant Shift-Chief until the guy ahead of you retires, gets killed, or transfered. Once you get there, you're going to get Assistant Chief until that guy moves on. Once THERE, you're not going to get Chief of Engineering until that slot is open on your own ship or another. Once you've got a position as CoE, what can you really do? I mean, after a few years you might be able to get a teaching post at the Academy, but other than that all you can really hope for is to be promoted to CoE of a repair or construction yard, or ... y'know? I mean, it's gotta be really hard to move up in the branches without at some point crossing over to command.

If anyone here has read the Hornblower novels, the descriptions of the officers' worries about promotions probably is shared by many within Starfleet.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amazingly enough: Spike TV is showing the episode where Troi takes her test this very minute.
She mentioned that Dr. Crusher didint need to be a commander to be CMO.
...and I think Riker played favorites with Troi's testing: I cant imagine anyone else would have got FOUR tries to pass the test.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Y'know, considering the writers stated that they didn't want the implication to be that you had to take that test to be a commander, the preceeding quoted dialogue really shoots that intention in the foot.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would say that it is reasonable to assume that there are other qualifications an officer must have fulfilled before being eligible to take the test - as I mentioned in the thread earlier, there's probably a time frame requirement in here somewhere, or some ambitious med officer would be a lieutenant on Tuesday, get promoted to Lt. Commander on Wednesday, take the test Thursday, and be a Commander on Friday.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

You are right of course: it's not just a matter of passing a test, or Data would be Admiral, but it should be more like the Police Seargent's exam.
If you dont pass, you cant take it again for a whole year- so you cant just take it over and over while you cram between failures untill you get it right....that's how they keep unqualified applicants from positions they arent ready for.

In other words: so they cant do exactly what Riker let Troi do.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That may be so. Of course, one of the reasons Riker let Troi go for it four times is because she already did have some taste at command prior.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*cough*

O'Brien: "If containment drops below 12%, we'll have a warp core breach."

Troi: "Excuse me -- what does that mean?"

Ro (incredulous): "It means the ship will explode."

Excellent command record...

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, but, to be fair, they made Troi almost unbelievably stupid in that episode. Her IQ seems to jump up about 30 points after she gets a normal uniform.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Middy Seafort
Member # 951

- posted      Profile for Middy Seafort     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^Ironic that they made Troi the ship's idiot in that episode since, according to early TNG press, she was intended to be the brains of the ship.

In the press tape for the first season, Sirtus is interviewed as saying that everyone from Betazed had high IQ's and that she was the brains of the ship.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

I thought Data was the brains ... isn't that what Tam Elbrun called him in "Tin Man"? "Data, are you the brains in this outfit, eh?"

Also to be noted: Betazed is populated by Canadians.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

quote:
Originally posted by Dat:
That may be so. Of course, one of the reasons Riker let Troi go for it four times is because she already did have some taste at command prior.

Or because he already had a taste of her prior and wanted another sometime during his life.
Years later during the bubblebath scene in Insurection, Riker would think: "It's finally paying off... [Wink]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps