Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Duty shifts? (Page 6)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Duty shifts?
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Futurama Guy:
I'm afraid Thanksgiving isn't a religous holiday, at least here in the US, unless maybe in the UK it is...

No, we don't even know what this crazy holiday is.

As for Ian Troi, if memory serves, while his holo-video showed him with full lieutenant badge, when Beverly received his belonings in "Family" they said "Lt Comm Ian Troi".

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spike: Why is Bev listed as a Lt Comm for "Thine Own Self"? Is this because you are assuming that she got the promotion in the same way that Troi did? Does the episode say that? She could have already been a commander and just passed the Bridge Officers test. The test isn't the only way to get to full commander for the blue shirts according to the writers.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Beverly has been a full commander since the premier of TNG.

quote:
As for Ian Troi, if memory serves, while his holo-video showed him with full lieutenant badge, when Beverly received his belonings in "Family" they said "Lt Comm Ian Troi".
Liam: You're mistaking Deanna Troi's dad for Beverly Crusher's husband. Unless you're suggesting that Deanna and Wesley are half-brothers. IIRC, Ian does show up in that flashback-dream sequence in "Dark Page", in uniform. Anyone got a screen shot of his rank insignia?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Intruder1701:
I wonder if Starfleet has a Chaplains Corps? I wonder how that would work.

With great difficulty, I imagine. You'd probably need almost as many preachers as crewmembers on some ships! I would've thought it'd be easier to have either 'subspace sermons' or some sort of lay preacher set up.

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or a holodeck...

And a lot of Trek's spiritual experiences seem to be of the personal meditation kind.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Didn't they have a chaplin on Kirk's Enterprise, according to "Balance of Terror"?

--------------------

Toadkiller
Member # 425

- posted      Profile for Toadkiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
Didn't they have a chaplin on Kirk's Enterprise, according to "Balance of Terror"?

I think his name was Charlie. [Razz]

In the USN chaplains pretty much play the part of trek counselors, so I suppose one could say they have secular chaplains.

--------------------
Twee bieren tevreden, zullen mijn vriend betalen.

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Why is Bev listed as a Lt Comm for "Thine Own Self"?
Because that episode established that she was promoted from Lt. Cmdr. to Cmdr. eight years ago.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did that episode actually say in dialog that she was promoted in rank at that time or just that she took and passed the test?

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it says in dialogue - she and Troi are discussing the test, and Troi says she wants to take it because she's jealous of some of her former classmates from the Academy, and she asks Beverly why she took it. I forget Beverly's response, but given that Troi is promoted after passing the test, I would guess that Dr. Crusher was a Lt. Commander before the test, and a Commander after the test.

I'm sure you also have to have some requirements to be eligible to take the test, also. I mean, otherwise Dr. Jones would be promoted to Lt. Commander on Monday and test for Commander on Tuesday. Perhaps for staff officers, there's a certain amount of time which must first expire. "Gosh, sorry Doctor Jones, you gotta wait five years..."

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

quote:
Originally posted by Malnurtured Snay:
but given that Troi is promoted after passing the test, I would guess that Dr. Crusher was a Lt. Commander before the test, and a Commander after the test.

Er, that's not exactly brilliant use of logic. You're only basing it off of one person, and that person isn't in the same profession (well, not exactly).

As mentioned, the writers didn't want to give the impression that passing the test = automatic promotion. In Troi's case, it was a mixture of things, and passing the test, combined with other good stuff she had done, resulted in her being promoted.

Unless it actually says that Bev was promoted, I don't think that we can assume that she was.

--------------------

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Intruder1701:
...I wonder if Starfleet has a Chaplains Corps? I wonder how that would work.

-
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Liam,

As I recall, they were specificly discussing why Crusher wanted to be promoted to Commander in the first place. She makes some off-handed remark and says "So I took the test."

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, someone go through the script and the aired-form of the episode and tell us what really went on.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TROI
May I ask you a personal question... what made you decide to become a commander? I mean, you didn't need the rank in order to be Chief Medical Officer... so why put yourself through all the extra work?

BEVERLY
I don't know... I never gave much thought to my rank for a long time... it seemed pretty trivial compared to being a doctor. But then, about eight years ago, I began to feel like I wanted to... stretch myself a little.

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps