Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Duty shifts? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Duty shifts?
Kazeite
Member # 970

- posted      Profile for Kazeite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is rather organizational question...

It's like that - on almost every Trek PBEM I see there are three duty shifts, and captain commands ship during Alpha shift, first officer commands during Beta shift, and second officer commands during gamma shift.

So, um, ok. But from what I've seen in actual Trek episodes, it's not like that... I mean, in almost every TNG episode we see Picard together with Riker, Data takes double shifts, not to mention Harry Kim commanding Voyager during nightshift...

So, how it is in 'reality'? Also, as I understand, there are people here with Navy experiences, perhaps they could tell how its organized on real ships?

--------------------
"Do I remember about my amnesia?"

Intruder1701
Member # 880

- posted      Profile for Intruder1701     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On a real boat underway they divide the bridge watches into sections on my last ship it was 3 sections and it was a 4 hour watch with an Officer of the Deck (OOD) Junior Officer of the Deck (JOOD) which is his assistant, a Boatswains mate of the Watch which is in charge of all the enlisted watch standers and then there was the helmsman, lee helmsman, Port and Starboard lookouts,and messenger. The OOD is in charge of the bridge when the Captain or XO is not around. Normally the Captain will leave the day to day running of the bridge in the OOD's hands but in certain situations the captain will take command such as when we went through the Suez Canal or during a replishment at sea.

--------------------
"Who cares if we bomb a few hospitals, it just means we got them a second time" Warrant Officer Robert Clift, CVN-71 OEF

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i think the best examples of this arrangement are TNG "Disaster" and DS9 "Emissary" .. both show that Picard is on duty, but off the bridge with a designated OOD in charge, a lieutenant who is not XO, 2ndO or a department head, simply a command officer who is responsible for the bridge..

the rest of the time i guess we are to assume that on Federation starships, the Captain has a lot more resources to perform his duties from the bridge than off of it, so UFP captains spend a lot more time in the center seat than USN ones might

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Question? What exactly are the Captain's duties on a real Navy vessel? If he's able to leave the command of the bridge in a junior officer's hands, what other things does he do during a duty shift?

I would guess that much of Picard's off-screen time is spent in his ready room with someone else in operational command. We just happen to catch up with him when the action starts. Given the variety of missions the Enterprise is assigned to, alot of his time is probably spent planning and prepping for them... figuring out what to delegate to whom.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As per most of the background info, Data's Day implies that, under normal cicumstances, Picard takes the day shift, Riker the evening one, and Data the night one.

However, that's under normal opperation, and the Enterprise (and other series ships) are very rarely functioning under normal situations. When invesitgating this weeks alien threat/anomoly, it makes sense that the Captain would take charge, and his most important and capable officers would sit with him during the crisis. I guess that they would also abandon the normal shift pattern during those times, since we never saw...

"Reistence if Futile. You will be..."

"Hold that thought. Sorry, but I've finished for the day."

"...assimi...what?"

"Yeah, I'm off. I'm going to read some Shakespear and have a bath. You can deal with Ensign Happydude. Bye."

"But..."

"Hi, guys! This is Ensign Happydude. I'll be taking over from the captain for now. Any questions, queries, I want you to address to me. Anyway, *ahem*, we will not be bullied by you!"

"Bullying is irrelevent. You will be..."

"Sorry, but, was I okay? Was that believable?"

"Okay, we're off."

"Wait! I can do better. Listen. *ahem*. THE LINE MUST BE DRAWN HERE!"

"Bye."

"No, wait! I AM YYOUR FATHER! No, that's wrong. Damnit..."

"See you for the next season finale."

And then after that, we all wonder what the point was.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A good point. Something tells me the military doesn't operate like your normal day job. When I leave for the day, I'm done. If there's some graphic design emergency... it waits until tomorrow. Aboard ship though, if you're needed on duty, you get your butt on duty. So naturally, in the middle of the story, the main characters and senior officers will be on the bridge.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kirk: How long till the Genesis device goes off?

David: We encoded four minutes.

Kirk: Scotty! We need warp drive in four mintues or we're all dead!

Scotty: I cannae change the laws of physics, sir! It's gonna take at least five minutes!

Kirk: Five minutes? Scotty, can't you do it any faster?

Scotty: Well, I *suppose* I could skip my break...

Kirk: Break? How long would it take without your break?

Scotty: Well, I'd be working slower sincce I missed my break...

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another option is that each shift is 10-12 hours long and overlap each other by two hours.
data's an exception o the rule and pulls two shifts back to back (being a tireless android and all).

Starfleet personell seem to need less rest than us primitive screwheads (w've seen Riker and co. pull 18 hour shifts before being ordered to get rest).

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Plus there do seem to be people hanging around on the bridge whose sole job seems to be waiting for Data/Wesley/Worf/etc to wander off, so that they can sit in their chair. What do they do while waiting? No-one knows...

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LCARS solitaire.
Kazeite
Member # 970

- posted      Profile for Kazeite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
Another option is that each shift is 10-12 hours long and overlap each other by two hours.

I get this strange mental image of Riker sitting on Picards lap (and queue of crewmans arguing who gets to sit on counselor Troi lap [Big Grin] )

Hm... Is this possible that those extras are actually OODs and JOOD, like Intruder1701 said its being done on RL ships? (thanks for the info, Intruder [Smile] )

--------------------
"Do I remember about my amnesia?"

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
Plus there do seem to be people hanging around on the bridge whose sole job seems to be waiting for Data/Wesley/Worf/etc to wander off, so that they can sit in their chair. What do they do while waiting? No-one knows...

Hmmmm....
Possibly training, I suppose.
From a strictly tactical POV, it makes sense to have extras (literally) waiting to jump in, in case of the old "console explosion" or explosive diherreah from Riker's cooking.

Mabye the extra personnell are summoned to station during Yellow/Red alerts and are down in the C-Deck bowling alley the rest of the time.
Otr they're practising with their phasers: these arent stromtroopers, y'know. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Phoenix
Member # 966

- posted      Profile for Phoenix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just as an aside, the duty officer on the bridge is called the "Officer of the Watch" (OOW) in the Royal Navy, which makes slightly more sense than "Officer of the Deck" in my opinion.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

So do they ever say "Mr Blinkyblob, you have the conn/bridge" in the real navy? Or the US one?

--------------------

Phoenix
Member # 966

- posted      Profile for Phoenix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"You have the conn" (and the reply "I have the conn") is used in the Royal Navy.
  This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps