Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Duty shifts? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Duty shifts?
bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"By the power of Greyskull." - Eternian Navy.

--------------------
"Nah. The 9th chevron is for changing the ringtone from "grindy-grindy chonk-chonk" to the theme tune to dallas." -Reverend42

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IIRC, Troi passed the 'Officer of the Watch' training which entitled her to take the conn during a shift.
- What was her title?
- Was any mention made of how long the watvh was?

--------------------
'One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.' - Lazarus Long

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Troi passed the Bridge Officers Test, I believe, and received a promotion to full Commander from that of Lt. Commander.

She was also apparently in command of the ship before Picard arrived as seen in All Good Things. Plausible since the ship wasn't actually under way yet.

I believe that she, like Crusher, worked the night shift, and whiel I think we saw her in command at one point, I can't remember what ep it was in. In fact... we may never have actually seen her in command of the ship after her promotion.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks god for that huh?
Her helm record is'nt exactly spotless without putting her in the center seat....

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
She couldn't have been in command in "Farpoint". They make a big deal in -- what was it, "Lower Decks"? -- the ep where she takes the test that you have to have passed the Bridge Officer's Test to be able to be left in command. I would presume, based on the low ranks we've seen in the colour in command, that Command-division personnel have passed the test by the time they leave the Academy. Not sure about other departments. Data had obviously passed it, but he's rather a special case, and it may not apply to Ops. Managers across-the-board... We also don't know about Chief Engineers or Security Chiefs (at least in TNG time), as Geordi and Worf both switched from red to mustard, and both were shown in command during the first season as Junior Grade Lieutenants...

Also remember how shockingly ignorant she was of starship functions as late as 5th season. Remember little Miss "What's a warp core breach" in "Disaster"? Poor O'Brien must not have known she hadn't taken the Bridge Officer's Test the way he and Ro had when he told her she was in charge. [Razz]

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well... in All Good Things, it's Troi's hand that Picard walks over and shakes after he takes command. There don't appear to be any other higher ranking officers present. Of course, it's possible that the person who was actually in command was off doing things to get the ship ready to launch, but you'd think the ranking officer on the ship would be there to greet the new captain.

Also, in the "present" timeline, Troi says that *she* introduced him to the rest of the senior staff at the *reception* for Picard. Surely the ranking officer would've been present there.

There are really all kinds of things that could've been going on. Maybe Picard just knew Troi from before, having gone over personnel records with him or something.

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Geordi and Worf seemed to be the officers most often in command when Picard or Riker weren't around.

I think your notion of Troi introducing Picard to his staff because she already knows them is the most sound.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

Intruder1701
Member # 880

- posted      Profile for Intruder1701     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe in All Good Things since the ship wasnt underway she could have been in command. Being that it was under construction there wasnt too much that she could screw up. In the US Navy when the ship is docked there is a "Command Duty Officer" who is the Captains rep when he is not onboard. This officer doesnt necessarly drive the ship he is just there to take care of admin matters when the ship is docked. She could have been filling that capacity.

--------------------
"Who cares if we bomb a few hospitals, it just means we got them a second time" Warrant Officer Robert Clift, CVN-71 OEF

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Intruder is correct. I never worked on the bridge, and only occassionally even went up there. Most of my time during WestPac was spent in CIC.

In CIC the Tactical Actions Officer (TAO) was in charge. That position was held by four lieutenants in a 3 section watch. The watch rotation was 7-12, 12-17, 17-22, 22-2, 2-7. In other words, if you had the 7-12 watch you would be off until your next watch, the 22-2.

The TAO's job is as the name implies. Should something happen and the captain isn't around he has permission to fire weapons. He also tells the OOD on the bridge what to do.

My position in CIC was Electronics Warfare Supervisor. I'd analyze the radar off other ships and aircraft. Even if we couldn't see it, we could tell what type of ship it is by it's radar. Also if they're using their navigation radar or a fire control radar I determine if it's a possible threat. As for watch rotation, there was 3 of us and we did 7-12, 12-17, 17-24, 00-07. So when we weren't on watch we were basically on-call if something needed to get done. Unlike Star Trek we don't get to wear civilian clothes if we're not working.

When we're inport it's a different story. You pretty much work from 7-16 like a normal work day anywhere else and you're off. Generally Fridays everyone tries to get out as early as possible for the weekend. However, if you have duty you have to stay the whole day which sucks.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Troi was in command of the bridge at one point during "Genesis". Worf was also there, so it seems unlikely to be the night shift. Possibly Riker was off shaving his arms.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

Troi had passed the Bridge Officer's Test by "Genesis", Liam.

--Jonah

--------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know. I was responding (really lately) to Aban's "In fact... we may never have actually seen her in command of the ship after her promotion."

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

Ah. I occasionally have trouble keeping track of the branches these conversations take. *heh*

--Jonah

--------------------

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

I stand corrected. She was in deed command at that point.

Mmmm... shivery cold Troi. How could I forget that?

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So was it ever established that Crusher passed the command test? I feel like it came up at some point.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps