Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Duty shifts? (Page 3)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Duty shifts?
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the episode that Troi took the test in, Crusher metnioned that she took it 8 years previously, in order to stretch herself.

Which makes her comments in "Farpoint" that she doesn't care about command matters seem like the big fibs that they were.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dunno... She coulda taken the exam, become disillusioned about the job (especially after Jack's death, whenever that was), and gave up on it. Later on, as she became comfy on the Enterprise, she could have gotten back into it.

Now, why they hell would PULASKI want to take the exam and become a full commander? She hated everyone, after all.

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jack died WAY before she took the test. She took it less than a year before Farpoint, so that's a pretty big change of heart.

I don't think that Pulaski did take the test. She repeatedly said that she wasn't a bridge officer.

The confusion comes from the episode implying that the only way for the blue-shirts to become full commanders is to take the test. It mentions in the TNG Companion that it was a combination of several things. Ie, that Troi had done lots of commendable work, and taking the bridge officers test would be enough to get her a promotion, but that there would also be other ways to become a full commander. Perhaps Pulaski had done something amazingly commendable in the medical field(s).

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe she was overdue for promotion, but had yet to prove she was worthy. There are plenty of good reasons for the CMO (Crusher or Pulaski) to be a full Commander, like having the power to relieve anyone on the ship of duty.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pulaski always struck me as a "have the tool and not need it rather than need the tool and not have it" sort.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe that the CMO can relieve anyone on the ship, including the Captain, of duty for medical reasons, no matter what rank he or she holds. The Doctor had the authority to relieve Janeway of command and he held no rank at all.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Did Bashir ever threaten to do anything like that? After all, he was only a Junior Grade lieutenant (and then a full one).

And the original doctor on Voyager was only a lt. commander.

The holo doc seemed to work perfectly well without any sort of rank at all, come to think of it.

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the CMO can relieve any officer if they feel the officer is (or will be) a liability to themself or others but that's not something to be taken lightly: if they dont have LOTS of documented reason for the officer's removal, it would probably end (or at least curtail) their CMO status if the removal proves baseless.

Removing an officer from command is probably about as rare as a mutiny on a starship (we've only seen either because it's dramatic to a story).

With the chain of command, removing anyone of lower rank than the captain or XO should not really hinder the crew's capabilities: there would be at least one alternate for everyone (at least temporarly).

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm... in light of how much he always bitched 'n moaned about his limited computer program rights, it's odd that Photon Boy was never actually granted a commission (even if it would have been only symbolic).
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Liam,

Bashir relieved Kira of duty for one night, in the episode "Defiant." I can recall him perhaps threatening to relieve Sisko at one point, but can't remember when.

Also, just a thought, but it could have been a Starfleet requirement that a Galaxy-Class starship have a person of a certain rank for the position of CMO. Why? Perhaps Starfleet Medical would demand a person of Commander rank to lead the large medical department of a Galaxy-Class starship - probably a couple of surgeons, a pediatrician or two, a couple dentists, and the nurses and assorted medical staff, who really knows. All I'm saying is, maybe Bev took the test not because she really wanted the rank, but because she needed the rank for the position she wanted.

As for Pulaski, maybe this "Bridge Test" thing is a fairly new idea, and she gained promotion to commander before it was implemented.

Also, Liam smells.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm. If a Galaxy requires a full Commander for CMO, why is a Nebula so different? Dr Lense in "Explorers" was just a Lieutenant, wasn't she?

(Then again, this is quite consistent with "Second Sight". [Mad] )

Timo Saloniemi

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Geeez.....spare your sanity and dont ever contenplate the command structure, bridge layout or pod applications of the Nebula class.
Better by far to shake tenticles with Chtulu himself.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Strewth! It's Cthulu!

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

At least it wasn't the Loch Ness Monster.

--------------------

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm. If a Galaxy requires a full Commander for CMO, why is a Nebula so different? Dr Lense in "Explorers" was just a Lieutenant, wasn't she?

Hmm... might explain Bashir's rapid promotion as DS9 became a major outpost...

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps