Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » ST Chronology Question (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: ST Chronology Question
Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone know how the Okudas decided which episodes of TOS's first season took place in 2266 and which ones in 2267?

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very recently I was asking myself the same question. I couldn't figure it out, so I was planning on firing off an email to Mike Okuda about it. Haven't done so yet, though.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wasn't it just production year + 300? Season one was produced/aired in 1966/1967. According to the Concordance, "The Galileo Seven" was the first episode of 1967. It's also the first episode in 2267 in the Chronology.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes. i wholehearted dislike their methods, however. I still wonder why none of TOS s1 could possibly take place in 2265.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All of TOS could take place anywhere from 2265 to 2270, as long as TAS still fits in. And production order still makes the most sense, as stardates and airdates are both nonsensical.

--------------------

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i used to use a general rule of thumb that 1XXX.X stardates were 2264, 2XXX -> 2265, etc. up to 6XXX being 2269. (this was before the 2270 date was revealed on Voyager, however).

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, thx. I think I'll adopt the following dates for my page:
2266 - WNMHGB + Season 1
2267 - Season 2
2268 - Season 3
2269 - TAS Season 1
2270 - TAS Season 2

And which dates were mentioned in Voyager? Just 2270?

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

Yep. Icheb said Kirk's mission ended in 2270.

BTW, TAS season 2 is only 6 episodes, and doesn't really deserve to be in a different year. TAS 1+2 is still only 23 episodes.

This has been done thousands of times, but I've drawn yet another timeline:

-

- Okuda's basic underlying premise seems to be the production month + 300 years.
- He further places WNMHGB 'six months to a year' earlier than the first 'proper' season one episode (which is placed in September 2266).
- He then claims (for seemingly no reason at all) that WNMHGB was 13 months, 12 days into the mission, as per some obscure stardate-system. This is by far the biggest anomaly in his TOS-dating.

That explains the red bars. If you fit five full years over that system, you get the green bars. The green timeline works well for the non-TAS universe, and before some Voyager writer introduced the 2270 date.

The blue timeline is my conjectural timeline. I've adhered to the basic 300 years assumption, but have removed the silly 2264 dates and added another year for TAS.

As for TMP.. even in Okuda's system, the 'two and a half years' statement only works if TMP takes place at the very end of 2271. I'd much rather put TMP somewhere in 2273.

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"All of TOS could take place anywhere from 2265 to 2270, as long as TAS still fits in."

Or, even if it doesn't.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Captain from M.I.K.E.:
yes. i wholehearted dislike their methods, however.

Why? There was obviously no exact date set when the show aired. And nowadays, it doesn't really affect anything if the show was 2260-2265, or 2265-2270. All they could do was pick an arbitary series of dates, and the ones they chose seem as good as any others.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Charlie X definitely takes place in November, of course, so season one seems certain to span at least two calendar years, depending on how much time you assume passes between episodes (on average). And since it is, like, what, episode eight? nine? six? well, early on, anyway; that suggests that the bulk of the season takes place in the following year.
Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

Good point, Sol System. Didn't they mention Easter holidays in one episode, too?

--------------------

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

Charlie X is the 6th episode (produced.. it was 2nd in airing order), not counting the pilots. That would place it roughly 10 weeks (2,5 months) after The Corbomite Maneuver. Fits reasonably well into the above timeline.

--------------------

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Color Coded Chart. Oh man.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Holy crap, you guys are the geekest of geeks that ever geeked.

But I loves ya for it, my geeky brothers!

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps