Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » The $poiler-$trewn $tar Trek Movie Rumour Di$cu$$ion Thread (Did I mention $poiler$?) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 38 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  36  37  38   
Author Topic: The $poiler-$trewn $tar Trek Movie Rumour Di$cu$$ion Thread (Did I mention $poiler$?)
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/35208

A common theme in discussions about this movie is how much they're going to adhere to canon, and the rumours to date seem to be that while they'll abide by the spirit of canon, in reality they'll be pissing on the long-time fans from a great height.

Now, I don't know whether any of us will be surprised by that. I'm coming round to the way of thinking that maybe we shouldn't be looking at it in these terms. After all, we here are all going to go see the movie, aren't we? Which represents guaranteed bums on seats, no matter how annoyed said arses will be by the time they arise from the chairs in question. The issue then becomes, will this movie pull in the non-Trekkie punters? And if it does, can it still be regarded as a success if the "fans" hated it.

And so, I got to thinking: Can you have a Star Trek film that appeals to everyone?

(sorry to come all over Carrie Bradshaw just then. . . not, of course, that there's anything wrong with coming all over Carrie, provided you're actually thinking about Charlotte, Miranda or Samantha at the time)

After all, Nemesis was meant to be all actiony to attract a wider audience, and it didn't, and annoyed the fans to boot.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

HopefulNebula
Member # 1933

- posted      Profile for HopefulNebula     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Neme-what?

--------------------
"Don't fight forces; use them."
--R. Buckminster Fuller

http://hopefulnebula.dreamwidth.org/

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Enterprise constructed at Area 51?

What...the...Fuck?

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lee:

After all, Nemesis was meant to be all actiony to attract a wider audience, and it didn't, and annoyed the fans to boot.

[sidetrack]I don't think the 'actiony' part of it annoyed the fans. It was just crap. They also spoiled the money shot in the friggin' trailer. The movie didn't really stick to ANYTHING that was the spirit of Star Trek or even just the sprit of TNG[/sidetrack]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I'm not gonna go see it. I didn't see Nemesis either. Not until it came out on DVD. I'm not going to go and pay $8.50 to see a movie I'm probably going to hate.
Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ditto. I never liked the direction the Trek Enterprise was going since they came out with ST:ENT, and I doubt I'm going to like this film as well.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stirring the pot a little, though not really in any significant way, is this.
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Saltah'na:
Ditto. I never liked the direction the Trek Enterprise was going since they came out with ST:ENT, and I doubt I'm going to like this film as well.

Actually, season 3 and 4 were the best seasons of Enterprise... season 5 hopefully would have continued the trend.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
If you watch the TV series and many of the movies than - if you are a Star Wars fan like me - you always have the feeling that there is a discrepancy between the size of the alien worlds / the space ship(s) of the Federation and the locations where most of the scenes have been shot. In other words, the Bridge is more like a living room and does not match the size nor style of gigantic size of the Enterprise at all. It is certainly unbelievable because it's mostly the only place we get to see (and of course three or four other places, but all in all just 1 percent of the ship, I presume).
Uhhh... I don't understand this critique at all. I'm a fan of both Star Trek and Star Wars. Yes, the Star Destroyers are HUGE. The Enterprise isn't. I've never had a problem with Trek's scale when it came to ships. Everything seems to fit. The bridge is just the right size in relation with the ship. OK, Enterprise D's bridge felt a bit large, but the ship was larger and roomier than the "original."

As for any of the other spoilers... I really don't know if they are believable or not. It seems like the different Internet sites are just quoting each other. It might all be false. Of course, it might all be true.

Does anyone really have a problem with Kirk using his way with women to get the Kobyashi Maru reprogrammed? I don't know if I do or don't. On the one hand, it is Kirk. It fits Kirk's behavior and womanizing ways. On the other hand, it's a sterotype of Kirk. It's Kirk in bright, primary colors. It's a cartoon of Kirk.

I've always thought, based on the line from TWOK that KIRK was the one who reprogrammed the simulator. Further, based on the fact he received a commendation that the tampering wasn't discovered right away. Protestors?

More later...

Lee
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the point was meant to be that the adjudicators said to themselves "Wait, what? He won?! But it's an unwinnable scenario! That's the whole point! How the hell did he DO that?!" Then, when they dicsovered the tampering, no doubt tried to expel him, only for some gruff no-nonsense old-school admiral/Academy chancellor to rule that changing the rules to ensure survival kinda makes sense in some situations. Hence the commendation, which would rather piss off anyone judged to have overall done better than Kirk at the Academy (after all, I don't think there's anything canon to say he particularly excelled during his Academy days, and we know he was a hellraiser and womaniser), hence the protests in the spoilers.

That's always been my take on it. It's what the spoilers have happening next that confuses me. Yes, said spoilers may be bullshit, but indulge me. He's given command of a ship to really prove himself? Hmm. Unless it's spmething a bit like ST2:TWOK, an advanced training cruise. Or maybe more like what happened on the Deffie-Valiant - Kirk is given sort-of command of the Enterprise while it's still really under the command of Captain Pike, only to have to take command for real when the Ozcredible Hulk attacks and Pike is injured or something (which does rather suck as a plotline, I can feel myself losing the will to live as I type).

(actually, such a special-scenario training/testing cruise could explain Lt. Piersall on the Nebbie-Prometheus, you know)

From then on, Kirk goes on to have a normal career as a young Starfleet officer (on the Republic and the Farragut) for the next ten years or so, until he finally makes Captain for real and is assigned the ship he first briefly served on.

So, it's possible and doesn't really go against the canon.

--------------------

HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's because with the primary colors / stereotypes we know will happen in the movie it isn't Star Trek unless

Kirk is in command
The ship is the Enterprise
Kirk and Co. save the day

Anything else and the non-fans will go "Whut?"

Which is complete nonsense but hey, that's how life works.

I've been toying with an idea for the movie script. My idea was to come up with a script and then try to pass it off as the real thing. You know, like an April Fool's joke. I've been trying to insert the elements I've heard in spoilers (forgot the Kobyashi Maru). We know that the Enterprise will be in it and we know that the main characters will be Kirk, Spock, McCoy and the rest. The only way to get those to work is to do like you said above and have Kirk take command when Pike is injured (or, in my idea, captured/stranded away from the bridge during the crisis).

This is why I called this whole prequel idea a reboot. The more you stray away from canon with another canon project (it's a movie, it's canon) then the only other option is a reboot.

Of course, like you said, nothing is stated that Kirk and the rest did not serve on the Enterprise during their training just like Savvik and the cadets in TWOK.

It just strains credibility in the area of coincidence.

My biggest puzzle is getting Chekov into the situation. He was an ensin in TOS when Uhura and Sulu wer Lts. Obviously they weren't in the same graduating class at the Academy. Odds are they didn't even attend the Academy at the same time (or Chekov was a 1st year student when they graduated).

Let alone that Kirk, Spock, McCoy and Scotty are so much older that they should be well past their Academy days when the rest are there.

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
/me walks in

FUCKING RESET BUTTON!!!!!!!OMGDOSHITTHTHEIRFUCKINGWAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYBEENDOINGITSINCEFIRSTCONTACTCREATEDTHELOOPHOLEBEOUTCHESlololo!!!!!!1111!!!!!111121111!!!!!!!

/me walks back out

[Big Grin]

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OH. and to make sure i drive this topic bus into oncoming traffic, anybody know what you call a Warforged Fighter/Warforged Juggernaut...

with a Dwarf's head instead of his normal head?

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

Lee
Member # 393

'San Francisco Fleet Yards' taken literally?

--------------------

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well the NX-01 and NX-02 where constructed in space. I wonder what made them go back to building on land.
  This topic comprises 38 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  36  37  38   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps