Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » The $poiler-$trewn $tar Trek Movie Rumour Di$cu$$ion Thread (Did I mention $poiler$?) (Page 20)

This topic comprises 38 pages: 1  2  3  ...  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  ...  36  37  38   
Author Topic: The $poiler-$trewn $tar Trek Movie Rumour Di$cu$$ion Thread (Did I mention $poiler$?)
Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw VOY S7 and thought "this show sucks hard." But on a whim I watched S1 and thought "well it didn't start out that way." Kind of the reverse of TNG.
Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It didn't start out that way because very talented producers and writers were at the helm for the first three seasons. Then they all quit, and Braga took over. End of story.

Really, there were only two problems with VOY at first. The Kazon were originally supposed to be space pirates, but instead were depicted as Klingon Crips and Bloods with super-advanced technology. The other problem was Neelix. Not only was he annoying, but he proved to be quite useless most of the time, other than his cooking, which anyone could have done.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel Butler:
I saw VOY S7 and thought "this show sucks hard." But on a whim I watched S1 and thought "well it didn't start out that way." Kind of the reverse of TNG.

That's what I had always thought, until I watched the whole series from the beginning and found that it sucked from the first episode.

Again, this is all opinion, but I think that the interesting parts of ENT far outnumber the interesting parts of VGR. Both had plenty of episodes that represent Trek at rock bottom, though.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Agreed MMoM, on both counts.

If this movie fails, I'm not sure that it will be the death of Trek. After all, ENT 'failed' - it was canceled due to low ratings (regardless of those who think the low ratings claim is bogus, the show was, none the less, axed).

But, if the movie does kill off Trek, I think it would be a bitter note to end on. Trek should go out on a high. In my eyes, the only show that pulled that off was TNG.

The DS9 finale was ok, but it was all to convinient - too few people just carried on as before. The show ending was their ending, unlike in TNG (but then, they were making Generations, so I suppose the DS9 wrapping up of all the stories was needed).

The VOY ending was a lame duck - we all knew they were going to get home, and after TNG and DS9, we knew it would take 7 seasons. And the Borg would have something to do with it. The whole thing was just too contrived.

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm. I think Voyager season 1 was a VERY solid season. And for me season 1 includes the 4 episodes of season 2 that were held over - as I think the videos were released in Australia before the US aired them! I.e. they were in the can but not aired.

Anyway Voyager season 1 is strong. Has some good episodes.

Season 2 started failing with the Kazon arc.

Season 3 was better but this is where they started trading stories and character developement for effects and action.

Season 4 was decent the introduction of 7 of 9 picked things up a little but it wasn't for long -

Season 5, 6 and 7 while OK were't spectacular. Nowhere on Par with TNG and DS9's seasons 5,6 and 7.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well if Star Trek 8 and Star Trek 9 drew low audiences, then as the saying goes, the only people who keep doing the same thing and expect different results are idiots and madmen.

So a reboot was the logical step, or just some fresh new faces.

Vanguard
Member # 1780

- posted      Profile for Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, can't argue that new WRITERS wasn't a bad idea, to be sure. But I'm not sure that revisiting Kirk, et all, was a good move at this point. We'll see, I guess, but I'm decidedly iffy.

Of course, I was iffy at the live action Transformers flick too.

--------------------
www.pixelsagas.com
www.jaynz.info - The Record of Star Fleet

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
More Fap!

In the second shot you can see the edge of the E's Saucer.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like the black shirt may be a duty uniform after all rather than a fatigue... *grump*

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it could be a "spare" uniform, the type they give to crew whose uniforms are trashed, and are in need of a short-term replacement, or to visitors in need of clothing. Or, maybe it's a take on Kirk's old olive/vomit green wrap shirt.

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".
-George Carlin

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I reckon they can still replicate/weave/grow a new uniform for the Captain.

It seems like he's wearing the black uniform under that "armored EVA suit" in the new pics. It could simply be that whatever leads him to becoming Captain happens while he's wearing that uniform, and he simply doesn't change during the movie. Putting on the proper gold uniform is then likely going to be a Significant Moment.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It seems like the black uni Kirk has on is what everyone has on under their colored tunics. Maybe it's a cadet thing, with the others having already received assignments or something.

Love Uhura's look.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep, she's the best thing about this movie. [Big Grin]
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like it was influenced a lot by the refit. The engineering hull looks a bit skinny, and I really don't know about the nacelles. The deflector looks like a big parasol sticking out there. I suppose it will grow on me, but at least it's not completely hideous.
  This topic comprises 38 pages: 1  2  3  ...  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  ...  36  37  38   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps