Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » $$$ Star Trek Into Darkness Speculation Discussion - Spoilers, natch (Page 13)

This topic comprises 15 pages: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15   
Author Topic: $$$ Star Trek Into Darkness Speculation Discussion - Spoilers, natch
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Omega: yes, from a distance? At least he was on the bridge of the Enterprise when Sulu observed that Khan had jumped 30 meters.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seen it twice now. Liked it more the second time. I think for the first viewing, I was distracted by "OK so homage is different than cutting and pasting bits of the script." But when I set that aside for a second viewing it does work. And for folks who haven't watched the other films obsessively committing broad swaths of dialogue to memory, it works for them. They like it. They respond and it works.

I like the Cumberbatch. I enjoyed the turns though you could see them coming a mile off. Just a pretty, pretty thing. Maybe not have been the purest trek, but very enjoyable.

IMAX 3D may have to wait for next weekend, but I am excited to see it that way too.

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The more I think about it, the more I think this is actually two movies shoved together. There's a really good Trek movie in here, possibly one of the best. There's also an action blockbuster with mediocre writing and plotting.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It also feels like a composite of The Wrath of Khan and The Undiscovered Country.

Someone at Trekmovie pointed out that in the dialogue, its mentioned that Khan and the Augments are from 300 years ago. If the movies take place in the 2250s, that means Khan and the Augments were frozen in the 1950s.

Also, the Big-E is slightly changed after being repaired.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
She sure is, I noticed the larger impulse-exhaust immediately. Didn't notice the nacelles. I hope they release other angles of the refit soon.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just seen it, and I enjoyed it, but I would have enjoyed it more if it wasn't going "See, it's like The Wrath of Kahn, BUT REVERSED!" in my face.

(Plus, I do try not to guess what's going to happen in a film, but seriously, "I'm injecting Kahn's blood into this Tribble for some reason." "Interesting, I'm sure that will become relevent later, somehow. Oh, hello Pavel, what are you doing?" "Me? I'm just resting my gun on this table. Pay it no attention.")

Also, and this is often forgotten, when Kirk screams "KAAAAAHHHNHNN" in TWOK, it's not Shatner overacting, it's Kirk. He's playing along with the whole "I am now trapped on this asteroid" thing so that Kahn doesn't realise that the Enterprise isn't as damamged as he thinks it is. Changing that to Spock shouting "KAAAAAAHHHHNNN" just didn't work for me. The moment we went from that to Kahn trying to ram Starfleet HQ I started to enjoy the film much more, because it was new!

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, the women were treated appallingly in this film. Uhura may be sassy, but she's now "Main Character's boyfriend". Carol Marcus was there to be "Bad guy's Daughter To Create Emotional Dilema" and also "Girl Who Takes Her Clothes Off For Some Reason". And I gave the miniskirts in the original a pass because they were being all 60s Trek, but they really are stupid as a uniform design, something that I felt was highlighted when Uruha beamed on top of the flying car and her dress magically stayed decent.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I LOL'd

http://io9.com/star-trek-into-darkness-the-spoiler-faq-508927844

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by o2:
quote:
Originally posted by Mars Needs Women:
Yeah, I swear that Newton type has registry of NCC-071/B, even though its probably 0718, but that 1 looks funny.

I watched the movie yesterday and the number was not better to read as in the trailer. I don't think that there is a '/' in it. It is pretty clear even in the picture of the trailer that the line is more or less in parallel to the last digit (more like '|'. So I assume that it is NCC-0718. But the name of that ship is not readable.
Since the android/cyborg crewmember is referred to in the credits as "Science Officer 0718," that's probably the registry of the ship too. It's probably named after one of Abrams's relatives, since the Kelvin was named after his grandfather.

quote:
Originally posted by o2:
I noticed the ships on the desk as well. I wondered why the top secrete dreadnought ship was displayed on the desk in the open for everybody to see. And I wondered why the Kelvin class was on display and not the flagship of the fleet, the Enterprise. Did anybody noticed the regristry on the hull of Kelvin-class? Cool was the NX-01-Class (The Enterprise?).

http://io9.com/a-close-up-look-at-the-star-trek-easter-egg-you-might-h-509076595

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nim:
She sure is, I noticed the larger impulse-exhaust immediately. Didn't notice the nacelles. I hope they release other angles of the refit soon.

I'm kinda wondering why they made these minuscule changes at all. If you're going to refit the ship after it's been pummeled to hell, shouldn't it have looked very different?

Also, my keen eye made out some interesting things during the space dock scene before the Enterprise warps away. I noticed both a Newton type ship but with different nacelles (not the NCC-0718, which had regular ones), and a red Armstrong type ship.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice link. I have to say the Vengeance is growing on me, the side view isn't half-bad. The neck and rump reminds me of the Galaxy class, but with angular nacelle pylons.

One thing that bothered me with the showdown with Admiral Marcus/Khan is that they are having a gun battle in earth orbit and neither Starfleet, Spacedock nor the lunar colonies seem to mind. I tried to imagine Marcus had fixed it with some pre-made orders for his mission, but the Vengeance is a black ops Section 31 project, if it shows up on the Federation's doorstep firing at a fellow starship, shouldn't someone investigate?

Super battleship with a super warp core, imagine if that had breached when it crashed in San Francisco, would've taken the whole town with it. Khan really dropped the ball there, trying to destroy HQ with just the kinetic force of the ship instead of a core meltdown.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

I didn't mind that. Plenty of Star Trek films have done the whole "The Enterprise is the only ship in range/near Earth" thing, and we even have the excuse that Marcus could order some of the fleet away on training or some other excuse. Maybe there were some ships on the way and they just didn't get there in time.

Is it me, or does "warp" work differently in this universe? Unless there was a time-skip in the movie, the Enterprise managed to get from Klingon space to near-Earth orbit in about two minutes. And what was with Kirk's "we're at warp. They can't get to us at warp" line about? Ships have always been able to fight each other at warp. Or is warp now hyperspace?

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
More likely, Kirk thought that the Enterprise was the fastest ship in Starfleet, so that if she got the lead off the jumping block, she couldn't be caught.
Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
And what was with Kirk's "we're at warp. They can't get to us at warp" line about
It always worked in Star Wars. [Wink]

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

quote:
Originally posted by Malnurtured Snay:
More likely, Kirk thought that the Enterprise was the fastest ship in Starfleet, so that if she got the lead off the jumping block, she couldn't be caught.

That's a frankly ridiculous assumption to make when the ship that is following them is twice the size, has Super Awesome Guns and is of a design that has never been seen. I don't think that Kirk is that stupid.

I'm agreeing with Omega overall. There's good stuff in there. There's also stupid Hollywood lowest common denominator stuff. This was true of the first film as well (let's fire Kirk off the ship towards a planet that just happens to have Old Spock and a guy who has invented Extreme Distance Transporting), but they were more grating this time around. It isn't even a case of fridge logic. A lot of the issues were relevent as I was watching.

--------------------

This topic comprises 15 pages: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps