Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » $$$ Star Trek Into Darkness Speculation Discussion - Spoilers, natch (Page 4)

This topic comprises 15 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  13  14  15   
Author Topic: $$$ Star Trek Into Darkness Speculation Discussion - Spoilers, natch
Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Starship Freak:
Actually, if you go to trekmovie, in the screencap section on the second trailer, they´ve blown-up the cap of the cryosection tubes on the two persons leaving the bay. The one on the right, the large chap apparently has a ponytail.

I don't see a ponytail, I see a shadow on the guy's collar. And they look like doctors wearing white labcoats to me.
Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the ponytail reference was trekmovie´s, I´m not so sure either. However, the manner of clothes on the character to the left did remind me of the clothes Ricardo Montalban wore in Spaceseed.

--------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity´s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, bad dude locked in a cell, a seeming clone of Sally Kellerman's Dr. Elizabeth Dehner from "Where No Man Has Gone Before" in one scene, I really am on the side of this being a Gary Mitchell story.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by WizArtist II:
OK, bad dude locked in a cell, a seeming clone of Sally Kellerman's Dr. Elizabeth Dehner from "Where No Man Has Gone Before" in one scene, I really am on the side of this being a Gary Mitchell story.

Spoilers
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$

Alice Eve's character has already been confirmed as Carol Marcus, and Cumberbatch's character has already been confirmed as "John Harrison," a new character. No WNMHGB here.

shikaru808
T-t-t-t-today, JUNIOR!
Member # 2080

- posted      Profile for shikaru808     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A little late to the party eh Dukhat? This "John Harrison" character is probably a cover name for someone else, like Marion Cotillard in Rises.

--------------------
"Its coming on. I just saw the wall move..."

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Harrison
Could be that guy!

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

quote:
Originally posted by shikaru808:
This "John Harrison" character is probably a cover name for someone else, like Marion Cotillard in Rises.

I've heard that theory, with that same example, and I don't buy it for a second.

There's no reason for "John Harrison" to be a pseudonym for anything, because the only two reasons why it would be a pseudonym are:

1 He's actually a character that only a TOS fanboy would know (i.e. Gary Mitchell, Garth of Izar, Gary Seven, etc.).

2. He's actually a character that the casual Non-Trek-fan moviegoer would recognize (i.e. Khan and Khan only).

Because Abrams is making these movies for the casual moviegoing audience, reason 1 would be a pointless thing for Abrams to do, because there's no payoff for the audience to get why Harrison's really someone else from TOS. And while most people who aren't Trek fans have at least a passing familiarity with Khan thanks to TWOK, that would be the only logical possibility. However, with everything we've learned about Harrison up to this point, there isn't a single thing that's identical to Khan from TWOK. So if he's completely different, why would he need to be the same character?

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have no idea whether the name is or isn't a red herring, but isn't there a potential third reason it might be, simply that Abrams gets off on fucking with people like this? He really enjoys messing with his audience, and fans in particular, or so I am led to understand by the initiated...

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

shikaru808
T-t-t-t-today, JUNIOR!
Member # 2080

- posted      Profile for shikaru808     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bear in mind, I rely on the pseudonym theory mainly because Orci and several others have stated that this next villain would be one from Star Trek canon and they wouldn't be creating a new one.

Then again, they could have been fucking with us on this one too. Its mind boggling.

--------------------
"Its coming on. I just saw the wall move..."

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Add odd aside- I was watching the credits on The Hobbit the other day and noticed that Cumberbatch is the voice of "The Necromancer"...but in that charcater's brief scene, we dont see his say anything!
I'm thiking it's one of the deleted scenes that will be in the special edition- 20 minutes worth according to Jackson.

MY OFFICIAL PREDICTION- Carol Marcus is messing with making geneticly enhanced humans, made Gary Mitchell, he's all powerful, nuts and loves her, only to be rebuffes- she's in love with Kirk.
Mitchell destroys everything when the womanhe's got the hots for gives it up for some other guy- and OF COURSE that guy's a total duchebag (Kirk).

We've all had this happen, and yes, it always results in wanton destruction.

Any counter theories? Lets put out cards on the proverbial table, gentelmen: we'll each make one prediction (as I have) and whoever is closest gets a prize.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not that anyone else seems to care about them, but the current IDW comic run follows the canon events set during the first movie and supposedly doesn't interfere with STID. The first run they did was an adaptation of WNMHGB: Gary Mitchell was god-ified by the barrier and left for dead on Delta Vega (a different one).

They've even gone on to say that there are little hints in the comics as to the events of STID. They're not overly evident, but will be obvious after the movie. So they say.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

quote:
Originally posted by The Mighty Monkey of Mim:
I have no idea whether the name is or isn't a red herring, but isn't there a potential third reason it might be, simply that Abrams gets off on fucking with people like this?

But whether Harrison is really a pseudonym for a TOS character or just a rumor started by Abrams, he'd only be fucking with the TOS fanboys, who would only represent a relatively small percentage of the total moviegoing audience. What's the point of that?

quote:
Originally posted by shikaru808:
Bear in mind, I rely on the pseudonym theory mainly because Orci and several others have stated that this next villain would be one from Star Trek canon and they wouldn't be creating a new one.

I think the whole "canon character" thing was meant for Alice Eve, not Cumberbatch.

[ December 29, 2012, 05:40 AM: Message edited by: Dukhat ]

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dukhat:
But whether Harrison is really a pseudonym for a TOS character or just a rumor started by Abrams, he'd only be fucking with the TOS fanboys, who would only represent a relatively small percentage of the total moviegoing audience. What's the point of that?

I never watched Lost myself, but from talking to others I get the impression it's full of little pranks aimed at fans of the show and that in general such gimmicks are part of Abrams' schtick. Really all I'm saying is the guy knows how to "wag" a fanbase like there's no tormorrow and is not averse to doing so. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a kick out of it, especially knowing that ultimately anything and everything that gets anyone talking about the film (even if it's fanboys bitching on the internet) is ultimately to its advantage. Whether that's what's going on here or not, as I said, I don't know and don't really care. But it wouldn't exactly surprise me.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Huh. Just realized that I've gone from "wont bother" to "maybe on DVD" to "flip a coin" and see it in the theater.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

Funny how that works, innit?

--------------------

This topic comprises 15 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  13  14  15   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps