Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » $$$ Star Trek Into Darkness Speculation Discussion - Spoilers, natch (Page 7)

This topic comprises 15 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  13  14  15   
Author Topic: $$$ Star Trek Into Darkness Speculation Discussion - Spoilers, natch
Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have fun finding the errors in these two panels:

http://faceupmakeyourstand.tumblr.com/post/38203632671
http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z387/BillJ66/9e136b355c4dcdec7f6e1fdc0a91899c.jpg

Based on that I wouldn't read too much into the 1701-registry of April's Enterprise. [Big Grin]

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Nim that large expansive bridge you linked in looks cool...but the central open area is either a wste of space or possibly genius- I can see many people gracefully moving through that area in zero G, each with their own portable (or holographic) command station. On a spaceship, I'd guess clastraphobia would be a real issue after a while, so making the working areas as open as possible would make sense.
That's just the right half of it, too, it's half again as big to port/left. That's the "main Atrium", as it is a mining ship I suppose they need a good view of operations, it's all consoles and crew stations. The captain has the definite bridge module with main computer holo-access in a room right below (that's a fun trip).

Yes, there are a few seriously claustrophobic moments in DS:1, but there are also some very memorable vistas you encounter, a few of them in Zero-G (the sequel expands on that concept even further. This descent was very beautiful and also stressful).

A few of the scenes in the Star Trek-trailer actually felt a bit inspired by Dead Space, I hope they take more cues from it, especially regarding how DS likes to throw a location set on its side narratively and literally, without warning.
Of course, Dead Space stands on the shoulders of Alien/Aliens (and The Thing), there are more than one scene in the DS-series that come very close to inducing epileptic seizure.

Would be nice if there was some John Carpenter-influence in ST:ID.

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
Unfortunately not so- back when DC had the license, they had serious restrictions on making new Federation designs- possibly there are similar limits imposed on the current batch of comics...not that DC ever hired an artist that bothered to draw any of the ships better than a third grader. Hell, even as a Trek junkie back in the mid 80's I could not stomach their comics.

I was referring specifically to the Star Trek '09 tie-in comics, where pretty much everything in them was contradicted by the film itself.

quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
Have fun finding the errors in these two panels:

http://faceupmakeyourstand.tumblr.com/post/38203632671
http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z387/BillJ66/9e136b355c4dcdec7f6e1fdc0a91899c.jpg

Based on that I wouldn't read too much into the 1701-registry of April's Enterprise. [Big Grin]

Now that's just sloppy. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dukhat:
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
Unfortunately not so- back when DC had the license, they had serious restrictions on making new Federation designs- possibly there are similar limits imposed on the current batch of comics...not that DC ever hired an artist that bothered to draw any of the ships better than a third grader. Hell, even as a Trek junkie back in the mid 80's I could not stomach their comics.

I was referring specifically to the Star Trek '09 tie-in comics, where pretty much everything in them was contradicted by the film itself.

Funny, since it was supposed to fill th gaping plot holes with backstory and such...
As to those panels..I guess it's supposed to be various alternate realities or some...shit?

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

o2
Member # 907

- posted      Profile for o2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The new trailer is revealing a new type of starship - similar to the 'Enterprise' class (I think this is the same ship that is crashing in the San Francisco bay) and we see another ship of the Newton class, now with a visible registry: NCC-0718. This is the second ship with a registry that is starting with a zero.
Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We also see a second starfleet ship docked at the starbase.

--------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity´s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
and a smallish one?

--------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity´s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is there a new trailer since the Superbowl?

EDIT: Okay, there IS a new trailer. Looks like Pike is walking again?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hq7iRPtmjwI

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

o2
Member # 907

- posted      Profile for o2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fabrux:
EDIT: Okay, there IS a new trailer. Looks like Pike is walking again?

This was quit a surprise for me as well, but, hey, this IS an alternative universe after all.
o2
Member # 907

quote:
Originally posted by Starship Freak:
We also see a second starfleet ship docked at the starbase.

I think this is also a Newton type ship, but I'm not sure if this ship is docked, because it seems to be rotated compared to the space station.
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
New trailer time! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOQMXNwp8wo&feature=share&list=PLScC8g4bqD46mMZ2I6q1OMO-YE-TCrLmL

Peter Weller is CnC - Starfleet!

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
$$$$ Spoilers

So, ready yourself for spoilers here, because I will disect the trailer now:

The set up for the main plot (after the Imax preview leaves off) seems to indeed be a terrorist plot in London. Actually, the GI Joe film seems to blow up London as well. Hmm. Ayway, the Union Flag is shown still to have blue in it, presumably meaning that Scotland will vote "no" next September.

Robocop is indeed the top dog at Starfleet, and apparently is Carol Marcus's father, chairing a big important briefing. Cucumberpatch is apparently "one of our top agents", so we may see some Section 31 action, phwoar! Also from that meeting, it looks like the pip things on the epaulettes are indeed rank badges - Kirk has 4 grey, Spock 3 grey, Pike has 4 gold and Robocop has 5 gold. All are at the big meeting where Sherlock tries to kill them then beams out from what appears to be a cross between an apache helicopter and a kids ride outside the supermarket.

Alice Eve as CArol Marcus gives Sherlock a big evil stare. Telepathic maybe? No, because she's Carol Marcus, so shut up! Also, in the nu-niverse Starfleet uses the rifles from First Contack painted grey. And speaking of security Chekov's a redshirt! Hope that goes well for him...

Then, there's a fight, in what might be the blown up bit of London, with Spock and Sherlock on a flying scafolders rig, a bit like in that awful, awful episode 3. Except the lava happened earlier.

Time for another pwoar I think! Carol Marcus gets her kit off, apparently to Kirks confusion. Oh, and it seems that Starfleet issue divisional bras, but not knickers.

And finally, following on from the stills of a battered Enterprise falling from orbit, it looks more like it is the Enterprise splashing down, especially as the nacelle we see hitting a building looks very Enterprise-like.

So, that's the film pretty much sown up, thanks trailer people, you continue to ruin it for everyone.

That's my tuppence worth, now roll on May!

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually I thought that the rifles look like the one's the MACOs used on Enterprise. Also I think Admiral Robocop might be referring to the father of the sick girl Cumberbun recruits to do his bidding. I mean he could be an agent too, but that seems cliched. I do wonder about the superhuman strength he appears to exhibit. I remember one photo of Harrison shows him having a protruding spine, like he's an alien or has some apparatus attached to his back. I can't wait to see that other ship that crashes into the ocean, its so sleek and angular.
shikaru808
T-t-t-t-today, JUNIOR!
Member # 2080

- posted      Profile for shikaru808     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Ginger Beacon:
And finally, following on from the stills of a battered Enterprise falling from orbit, it looks more like it is the Enterprise splashing down, especially as the nacelle we see hitting a building looks very Enterprise-like.

Not the Enterprise crashing.

Although she is definitely plummeting from orbit. Rather curious that they would try and mislead us like that.

--------------------
"Its coming on. I just saw the wall move..."

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Ayway, the Union Flag is shown still to have blue in it, presumably meaning that Scotland will vote 'no' next September."

Well, TNG told us that Ireland will be reunified in a few years, but the flag still has the St. Patrick's cross on it, too. Maybe it's being displayed for historical purposes.

This topic comprises 15 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  13  14  15   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps