Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Soverign Class Names (Page 5)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Soverign Class Names
J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
Y'know, that's weird. The US is the country that replaces the letter "s" with "z" in works. Prioratize - prioratise, recognize - recognise, and, er, others that I can never remember.

But this example goes the other way around. And is that HMS Enterprize a real ship?

Actually... I'm in the US and I think the correct spelling of both is z and not s... but I have seen recogni's'e before.

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

Phoenix
Member # 966

- posted      Profile for Phoenix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by J:
Actually... I'm in the US and I think the correct spelling of both is z and not s... but I have seen recogni's'e before.

Both spellings are acceptable in British English, but only the "ize" version is used in American English.

(There are however some words that can only be spelt with "ise" in British English, like "devise" and "exercise".)

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's right. It's pretty much down to personal preference. I tend to type "s", but I'll sometimes write "z", just to be crazy mad crazy.

But the US spelling isn't "Exercize" either, is it?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Am I the only one who finds it amusing that Enterprise features a "fifth-rate vessel" in its credits? 8)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Exercise... I misread and thought they were talking about it any another form... got my English English mixed with the American English--- does it matter anyway? For the most part Americans read American written works and the Brits read British written works, at least the daily stuff like magazines and newspapers, right? I think that's the only area where this becomes important. When you get into net-related works, while American English seems to be a commerce standard... I doubt many people read with enough defination to notice the difference. When I'm reading, I go so fast I usually skip over misspellings or different spellings quite often because I'm not looking at the exact sentence just it's meaning and context [which usually includes dropping the adverbs and adjectives]. Sometimes I have to read it over because I didn't get the meaning, but usually it's easy enough to skim... all I see is recog and I know it's recog -nize -nise -nition or something along those lines the first two are the same and the last is brought out in context.

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

Middy Seafort
Member # 951

- posted      Profile for Middy Seafort     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
Am I the only one who finds it amusing that Enterprise features a "fifth-rate vessel" in its credits? 8)

A bit of irony, ain't it.
Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The rating system actually refers to the number of guns a ship carries; Victory is a first rate (104 guns), Bellerophon was a third rate (74 guns) etc.

Although the irony is fantastic.

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Capt.Blair245
Member # 1113

- posted      Profile for Capt.Blair245     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hmmm... 40 cannon balls are comming at u! What do u do?

Blair

--------------------
Graffiti decorations/under a sky of dust/a constant wave of tension/on top of broken trust/the lessons that you taught me/I learned were never true
Now I find myself in question,
Guilty by association,

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Defend myself with the unused 'Y' and 'O' keys.
Revanche
Member # 953

- posted      Profile for Revanche     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
The first starship with a starfleet cloaking device:
The USS Spanish Inquisition

Time: Now
Place: Fleet Wargame Operations Area

Aide: "Commodore, all Orange force ships are formed up and report all ready."

Commodore: "Very well. Inform the squadron to..." [interrupted by sensor alert warning]

Ops Officer: "Sir, a new ship has just entered sensor range! It reads as NCC-47892, and she's definitely coming this way."

C: [thumbing thru his OPPLAN] "Huh? What that...that doesn't sound right...all the ships are here. [looking up at his command team] Did anyone expect the Spanish Inquisition ?"

[snickering heard]

C: "What! What was that! How unprofessional! I will not tolerate that kind of behavior on this ship, on this deck, on my team! I expect everyone to perform to the highest standards, time after time, just like the Roman namesake of this command ship, Biggus Dickus !"

[open guffaws]

Capt.Blair245
Member # 1113

- posted      Profile for Capt.Blair245     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ultra Magnus:
Defend myself with the unused 'Y' and 'O' keys.

I don't think Magnus likes me very much... [Frown]

Blair [Razz]

--------------------
Graffiti decorations/under a sky of dust/a constant wave of tension/on top of broken trust/the lessons that you taught me/I learned were never true
Now I find myself in question,
Guilty by association,

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps