Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Soverign Class Names (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Soverign Class Names
Capt.Blair245
Member # 1113

- posted      Profile for Capt.Blair245     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The name says it all. What names would you prefer on a Soverign Class ship? (Enterprise not included, duh)

Blair

--------------------
Graffiti decorations/under a sky of dust/a constant wave of tension/on top of broken trust/the lessons that you taught me/I learned were never true
Now I find myself in question,
Guilty by association,

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is Sovereign. And aside from Sovereign and Enterprise, I did like the fan suggestion of Honorius (the name E-E had before a quick rename following the lost of E-D). And for a laugh, Royal Sovereign. Just try printing that on the saucer in the same font size as on her sisters.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sentinel
Defender
Monarch
Superfly

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm rather fond of Nimitz, as seen on a Sov in the game "Birth of the Federation".

Judging by "Sovereign", I'd say the class names might be a little more battle-ready than most. Bismarck would work well . . . might be nice to see Yamato again. Maybe a name of a heroic Vulcan combat cruiser from the NX era to spice things up.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:

Superfly

Dominion Officer: "First, we are being hailed."
Dominion Captain: "On audio."
(Over Comm): "Yo-yo-yo, check dis out! Supahfly!"
Dominion Officer: "Peon Torpedo, incoming!"

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
looking at our sources, we have the

U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701-E
U.S.S. Sovereign NCC-73811

U.S.S. Sentinel (possibly)
U.S.S. Independence
U.S.S. Yorktown

U.S.S. Gibraltar NCC-75689
U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-74284
U.S.S. Majestic NCC-74287
U.S.S. Paramount NCC-75555

The 1701-E we of course know from the last 3 movies. The Sovvie is the class ship, and was featured in some William Shatner novels. One of the ST video games assigned it NX-73811, this works fine for me. (one RPG supplement gives NX-17454, another gives NX-90201.. both are ridiculous.. the more sensible NCC-74222 is supplied by a Thomas Models decal, but is not licensed or canonical). The Independence and Yorktown are from the Decipher RPG, both their registries suck (NCC-90346 and NCC-90276 respectively).. Sentinel should be the ship mentioned in the DS9 eps, but some SCE novels have already called it an Akira. (this makes more sense, and i cant recall who classified it as a Sovvie). The Gibraltar is from one of the Dominion War sourcebooks from the defunct LUG RPG, no idea whether it was actually published or was cancelled before release. the Endeavour, Majestic andParamount are from the aforementioned model sheet, probably shouldn't be considered as definitive.

does the BotF game give a registry for the Nimitz?

Phoenix
Member # 966

- posted      Profile for Phoenix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
USS Swiftsure
USS Spartan
USS Superb
USS Sceptre
USS Splendid
USS Invincible
USS Illustrious
USS Indomitable

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trek naming "systems" in general abhor all thematic or alliterative logic, so any of the names above would sound good, but not all of them together.

Channeling Franz Joseph, we could of course have

USS Sovereign
USS Autarch
USS Boss
USS Chancellor
USS Despot
USS Dictator
USS Emperor
USS God
USS High Priest
USS King
USS Pharaoh
USS President
USS Prime Minister
USS Prince
USS Regent
USS Secretary General

The Enterprise would then be as much an outlier case as her registry number.

(I do wonder if there was a USS Dominion in Starfleet service in the 2370s..)

Timo Saloniemi

Phoenix
Member # 966

- posted      Profile for Phoenix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Timo:
Trek naming "systems" in general abhor all thematic or alliterative logic

Not always.

The Constitutions mainly seem to be named for old warships (Enterprise, Constitution, Hood, Defiant, Lexington, etc) and the Federations would seem to be named for political government/alliance-type things (as the two we know are Federation and Entente).

So there probably was a Federation Class USS Dominion, but whether the name was continued is another matter...

Identity Crisis
Defender of the Non-Canon
Member # 67

- posted      Profile for Identity Crisis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You missed a good one Timo, it has the precedent of a previous starfleet ship - U.S.S. Archon.

--------------------
"My theories appal you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters and you don't like my tie." - The Doctor

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I named my Sovereign Class the U.S.S. Shiloh, but I don't recall the registry number. She has the runabout Monongahela on board and carries the Captain's Yacht, El Hanan.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CaptainMike20X6:
does the BotF game give a registry for the Nimitz?

Nope. BOTF randomly assigns names and registries from a database... they're not fixed.
Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Those are a couple of BoTF-names reserved for Sovereign-class starships:

Sovereign
Nelson
Resolution
Croatan
Makarov
Kinugasa
Asigara
Trieste
Adelaide
Blake
Argonaut
Vanguard
Valiant
Antietam
Princeton
Marshall
Colossus
Yamasiro
Tirpitz
Lorraine
Magnificent
Swiftsure
Enterprise
Brigadier
Ramillies
Monterey
Midway
Roosevelt
Leviathan
Zuikaku
Richelieu
Provence
Nimitz
Essex
Musashi
Bismarck
Sevastopol
Ark Royal

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
did Franz Joseph work on the game?

anywho, i have a related question about Sovereign registries and games..dos anyone have a list of registries, names and classes of ships from Bridge Commander? or are they random too.. i know the game has a Sovereign NCC-73811, and the GCS Dauntless, but are there a bunch more that anyone could supply me with?

TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can just see a ship named HIGH PRIEST

"Sir, we are being hailed by the Federation. It is the High Priest"

".. wha?"

--------------------
joH'a' 'oH wIj DevwI' jIH DIchDaq Hutlh pagh
(some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps in the morning)
The Woozle!

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps