Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Staffing Requirements (Page 3)

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: Staffing Requirements
Intruder1701
Member # 880

- posted      Profile for Intruder1701     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, In response to MarianLH's questions..
1st-Damage Controlmen pretty much are sort of like firefighters in the civilian world. They train the rest of the crew in damage control and perfrom maintence on DC equipment (fire hoses, water pumps, gas masks, etc). As far as the rest of the crew, we are merely an augmentation of the damage control teams. The Damage Controlmen lead the teams with the rest of the team made up of augmentees.
2nd-Repair Lockers- Repair lockers are scattered all around the ship. I can only speak for a carrier but Im sure the rest of the ships in the fleet are arranged the same way. There are 3 lockers on the 2nd deck below the hanger. One is all the way forward, one in the middle and one all the way back aft. They control from the 2nd deck down. There are 3 more in the hanger bay, forward, middle and aft. and 3 more on the 03 level, one forward, one middle, which includes the island, and one aft. And one more locker on the backside of the island used mainly for controling flight deck fires. These lockers contain everything a fire party needs to contain damage, Fire fighting gear (just like the ones the firemen wear), wood for shoring up holes in the hull, patching kits for flooding, portable pumps for pumping out water, SCBAs (self contained breathing apparutus') to provide air when fighting a fire, CO2 bottles, hoses, nozzles etc.
3rd-Down in the bowels of the ship is DCC, Damage Control Central, when a fire or missile hit or whatever is reported the locker in the area of the casualty is manned up with the fire party. First person there gets on the phone and he connects to DCC and provides the Damage Control Officer of the Watch with up to date info on the status of putting out the fire, flood, whatever and the status of repairs things like that. Normally when something like that happens word is passed over the ships general announcing system and that lets everyone know whats going on and thats how the fire team knows that there is a fire or something because most likely the people that make up the fire party are going to be elsewhere doing their assigned jobs in their workcenter so they drop everything and rush to the locker. Just think of the fire party as a volunteer fire department.

Anymore questions?

--------------------
"Who cares if we bomb a few hospitals, it just means we got them a second time" Warrant Officer Robert Clift, CVN-71 OEF

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MarianLH:
quote:
Originally posted by Intruder1701:
So I hope that answers your question.

Actually, it confuses me even more. [Smile]

If the Navy does have a set job of Damage Controlman, then why is it that "the damage control teams during battle stations are made up of people from various occupations on the ship," and not Damage Controlmen? And what does the Damage Controlman do when not controlling damage? Practice?

I'm glad you joined the conversation, though; you're one of the people I had in mind when I posted the thread, and I'm now going to jump all over you with questions. What is a repair locker? Does it hold firefighting equipment? How big is it? Are they scattered all through the ship or concentrated in a specific area?

How did "word get around" that the ship had been damaged? In Weber's Honor Harrington novels, RMN starships have a 'Damaged Control Center' which keeps track of damage reports and tells damage control parties where to go. Do USN ships have something similar?

Marian

The official Navy website (Sorta) . Sheesh, you ask too many questions. [Big Grin] I would tell you more but... it looks like your [Roll Eyes] mind is ozzing more so we need to tighten the tornique more around your neck... 'side's, Intruder1701's input is dead on. a little too dead on for my liking but agreable. i've served on Gator's myself for my sea time. and DC is hard, look at the comendable acts of heroism the crew of the Cole did to save their ship. i've seen some really amazing pics they did to repair damage that occured after the attack. horrifying... Those folks on small boys are tuff fuckers, no doubts there...

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
www.navy.mil is the site.....

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Teh PW
Member # 1203

quote:
Originally posted by Ritten:
www.navy.mil is One of the sites.....

I just gave the the commerial site, they never say the MIL site on all the avertising. I think...?

'sides. i do all my business at NKO anyway... [Big Grin]

--------------------

MarianLH
Member # 1102

- posted      Profile for MarianLH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And yet neither web site goes into the kind of nuts and bolts detail Intruder1701 has. [Smile]

Some of the stuff was interesting, like the guide to enlisted ratings and rates. But I'm not really all that interested in the USN (at least, not in the context of this thread). What I'm interested in is figuring out day-to-day details of life on a starship, and extrapolating from how a real navy does things may yield a more realistic and functional result that just guessing.

I didn't ask about repair lockers because I want to know how the USN fights fires. I asked so I could make an educated guess of what's in a starship's repair lockers. Likewise, when I ask Intruder1701 (as I'm about to) how many people besides the DCO man the DCC, it's so I can figure out how many people man the DCC on the Enterprise, and therefore how much space it would need and what it would look like.

For instance, earlier I speculated on how a torpedo room might be staffed. That was, for the most part, totally off the top of my head. Since then it's occured to me that knowing how a WWII battleship manned up one of its main gun turrets might shed some light on the question.

If anyone has any links that do go into that kind of minutae, by all means let me know. =)

Marian

MarianLH
Member # 1102

- posted      Profile for MarianLH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
What happens if the Damage Control Center is damaged?
Is there a Aux damage Control Center?
...an Aux Aux Damage Control Center?

Yes, Jason. Just like there's an aux warp core for when that gets damaged. [Smile]

quote:

There has to be de-centralized damage detection sensors throught the ship tied to the main computer and with information relayed to damage control teams (mabye via communicators or Tricorders) during Red Alert.

Yes, but who relays the information? Good idea about tricorders, though. Except in some TOS episodes, I've never noticed anything like the "now hear this," shipwide routine announcements that seem to be the norm on USN ships.

In the TNG era I could believe that the main computer does it without any oversight. But that seems a bit advanced for the 23rd century. I figure that computer support will assist manned operators and reduce the number of live bodies needed to do any given task, but not eliminate them completely.

Marian

MarianLH
Member # 1102

quote:
Originally posted by Intruder1701:
Anymore questions?

I could probably keep finding new questions as long as you're willing to answering them. [Smile] I think I have a pretty good idea now about how to organize DC parties on a starship. There might be something analagous to repair lockers, or they might adopt a more distributed approach. According to Johnson's Mr. Scott's Guide To The Enterprise, the new TMP corridors were narrower because they contained compartments in the walls, holding survival equipment, spacesuits, & so on. Maybe every corridor segment is its own mini repair locker.

In TNG, fires and hull breaches are contained by forcefields, but that's probably not the case back in the 23rd century. Star Trek II and Star Trek VI both showed conventional fire extinguishers. So a repair locker on a starship would still need firefighting equipment, albiet smaller and more advanced--maybe they could beam in water the same way the TMP-era food stations do. Patches to deal with small hull breaches, vacuum survival gear, rescue bags, some of those doohickeys from Star Trek IV for shoring up bulkheads...

What would you say to six damage control parties on the TMP Enterprise--two in the primary hull (one covering F Deck and up, and the other G Deck on down), one covering the dorsal, torpedo room and magazine, and three in the secondary hull (covering engineering, the hanger/cargo area, and the lower decks)? The TOS version could probably eliminate the dorsal team, since the torpedo room is in the primary hull...

Are damage controlman usually commissioned officers, petty officers, or what?

Is there a Damage Control Officer of the Watch at all times, or just when the ship is at general quarters? How many other people man DCC? What do they do?

And just for fun: what's the difference between a yeoman and a steward? Does the USN even have stewards, or is that a British thing?

Marian

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, in TUC there was that "now hear this" announcement about the yeomen, maybe that's a routine occurance. Maybe it just doesn't get played on the bridge, which is usually where the camera is.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

MarianLH
Member # 1102

Yes, of course. As soon as the plot required a general annoucement, the ship suddenly has general annoucements. [Razz]

Just as the chief engineer handles all damage control himself when the chief engineer is a Main Character.

Sci Fi TV. So much potential, so flawed in execution.

Nice try, though. Especially the idea that they aren't played on the bridge. If there was even one other routine--and non plot-driven--"now hear this" announcement...

Marian

Teh PW
Member # 1203

quote:
Originally posted by MarianLH:
Yes, of course. As soon as the plot required a general annoucement, the ship suddenly has general annoucements. [Razz]

Just as the chief engineer handles all damage control himself when the chief engineer is a Main Character.

Sci Fi TV. So much potential, so flawed in execution.

Nice try, though. Especially the idea that they aren't played on the bridge. If there was even one other routine--and non plot-driven--"now hear this" announcement...

Marian

something else to think about. such ships, where you have replicators, does the BOOW Bo'sn of the Watch) still play the whilse to say it's chow time? [Big Grin] or the ship's bells for time of day? [Roll Eyes] or taps? [Wink]

--------------------

MarianLH
Member # 1102

Well...Nick Meyer had ship's bells ringing the hours in both films he directed. And they still trot out bosun's pipes for an admiral or a visiting head of state...in both of Meyer's films, again. I'm sensing a theme here...

Did TNG or DS9 ever have bosun's pipes in any episode?

Marian

Manticore
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Manticore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ENT did I think.

--------------------
Fell deeds await. Now for Wrath... Now for Ruin... and a Red Dawn...
-Theoden, TTT

Lord Vorkosigan does not always get what he wants!

Intruder1701
Member # 880

- posted      Profile for Intruder1701     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, honestly I really cant tell you who usually mans up DCC because I never really went down there, I do know that underway there was the EOOW (Enginneering Officer of the Watch), and a messanger. Thats about all I knew. but I am like Marian I have given much though into how a starship actually works and this was one subject that I have given thought. I assume that DCC on a starship is probaly somewhere near main engineering and probaly a DC officer and some assistants maintain it. But in my reasoning say a standard saucer/primary hull vessel (Constitution, Excelsior, etc), 2 teams for the saucer, one on each side, one for the neck, and 2 or 3 for the primary hull. Damage Controlman are enlisted rates. On my last ship our Damage Control officer was a former enlisted damagecontrolman who picked up officer. And no the USN does not have stewards, they did away with that in the 70s. However the Captain and the Admiral have their own cooks. A yeoman is an enlisted rating that handles paperwork and a steward is kinda like the captains bitch. The Captain has a sectary that is usually an Ensign or LTJG who handles all his paperwork.

--------------------
"Who cares if we bomb a few hospitals, it just means we got them a second time" Warrant Officer Robert Clift, CVN-71 OEF

MarianLH
Member # 1102

It's comforting to know I'm not the only one who cares. [Smile] I wonder what the operative term would be? Operations geek?

Intruder1701: you might be interested in this page. It's a breakdown of ship's departments, based apparently on Robert Fletcher's ST II-IV costuming notes.

Any particular reason why you'd divide up the saucer damage control teams by port and starboard rather than up and down?

I also thought that DCC would be near Engineering. Given enough computer support, DCC might consist of a console in Engineering. But lately I've been reconsidering. Main Engineering is a place that seems to be prone to exploding, or leaking copious amounts of toxic coolant or radiation. [Smile] Maybe DCC should be put somewhere else. H Deck seems underused...

Marian

Intruder1701
Member # 880

No reason. I did like the page though but there would be some things that I would change.

--------------------

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps