Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » USS Hawk, USS Wellington, T'Pan (Page 1)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: USS Hawk, USS Wellington, T'Pan
Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Almost but not quite there...going through the DS9 Companion I found reference to these three ships that seemed to have been cut in either the final draft or tv edit (the Hawk reference, by far, is the most interesting).

From "Business as Usual":
quote:

DAX
The Vulcan science vessel T'Pan is requesting permission to dock.

KIRA
Put her at Docking Bay Three.

DAX
The Wellington has finished refueling. It should decouple within the hour.

KIRA
Got it.

From "Resurrection":
quote:

WORF (telling story)
I was seventeen and serving as an ensign on the U.S.S. Hawk. We were two days out of port when this anomaly hit us --

Found these nuggets interesting, thought I'd share. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So Worf started in Starfleet at 13? [Big Grin]
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, that's awesome! [Eek!]

I should have checked through more scripts after you turned up that Garuda reference in "Shakaar" last year.

Good work, once again! My hero!

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Captain Boh:
So Worf started in Starfleet at 13? [Big Grin]

According to his computer bio from "Conundrum" (TNG) he entered the Academy in 2357, at the age of 17. So it would appear that the Hawk was a training vessel.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Identity Crisis
Defender of the Non-Canon
Member # 67

- posted      Profile for Identity Crisis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
John M Ford's The Final Reflection (for a long time the definitive Klingon novel) has Klingons maturing faster than humans, so 17 would be early 20s in human terms. This is somewhat supported by Alexander's bizarre aging.

OTOH this early maturity was part of an overall shorter lifespan which is contrary to Koloth, et all still being around in the 2270s.

--------------------
"My theories appal you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters and you don't like my tie." - The Doctor

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Then again, perhaps no Klingon ever really got to test their "natural" lifespan before? [Smile]

Having Worf be an ensign at seventeen, at an age when Picard wasn't even a cadet yet, is not objectionable per se. We don't know if there are entry age limitations in existence - we know Picard tried officer training at seventeen while others seem to have entered at eighteen, but that could be a mere coincidence, or something specific to human candidates.

The objectionable part would be having Worf spend so much time at these low ranks, if the references to his age during the shows hold true (he must have been at least six during the Khitomer massacre, etc). Then again, moving up from Ensign doesn't seem to be a major prestige issue in Starfleet, and might not have been one for Worf, either. Despite his obsession with the Klingon honor propaganda, he never appeared to be hungry for promotions. It could be that hunger for promotions ISN'T part of the propaganda version of honorable Klingon conduct, of course.

Timo Saloniemi

MarianLH
Member # 1102

- posted      Profile for MarianLH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the basis for Captain Boh's remark is that, so far as us civilians know, one gets to be an ensign after spending four years at the Academy. In other words, if Worf entered Starfleet at 17, he still wouldn't be an ensign until 21. And Star Trek has consistantly referred to Academy attendees as cadets, not ensigns.

Marian

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*cough*Kirk on the Republic*cough*

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...or Nog.

I'm rather liking the idea that perhaps Worf was able to enter the Academy at a younger age because...again, of the Klingons faster rate of maturity.

Of course, it does contradict the "Conundrum" display...

However, consider his three-quarter Klingon son who could walk and talk rather coherently at age 1 ("Reunion" - 2367) and serving as a crewman aboard the Rotarran by age 8 ("Sons and Daughters" - 2374)!! Granted its a stretch but unfortunately that's the way it happened... [Big Grin]

--------------------

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
it does contradict the "Conundrum" display
Which display? Worf's bio wasn't shown.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
quote:
it does contradict the "Conundrum" display
Which display? Worf's bio wasn't shown.
The Chronology seems to indicate that was one...

--------------------

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Mighty Monkey of Mim:
I should have checked through more scripts after you turned up that Garuda reference in "Shakaar" last year.

Speaking of the Garuda, I've seen something that says there was a Nebula-class ship in that episode, and that was supposed to be the Garuda. So, to anyone who has the episode--was there a Nebula in "Shakaar?" Is this one of those ships no one mentions because it was not listed on Joe Creighton's site, like the Nebula from "Doctor Bashir, I Presume?"

Sorry to get sidetracked...

--------------------
Meh

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

There was no Nebula seen, although the script describes the Garuda as being "the same type of ship as the Prometheus", which was at that time a Nebula class ship.

--------------------

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The Chronology seems to indicate that was one...
Nope, only Crusher, Data, MacDuff, Picard, Ro Laren and Troi were shown.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And, considering that MacDuff wasn't even real, anything seen in those records has to be considered suspect.
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps