Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » USS Hawk, USS Wellington, T'Pan (Page 4)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: USS Hawk, USS Wellington, T'Pan
Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
With regards to Preston: Surely a spoken line should be considered more important than a rank pin?
It wasn't just Preston. Other enlisted trainees also wore rank insignia. I've read on several pages that there are Cadet Officers and Cadet NCOs, so maybe Preston was a Cadet Ables'man?

I don't think that dialogue should take precedence over rank pins, displays or whatever. Sometimes the dialogue is incorrect and sometimes the pins/displays are. We should decide which fact is more important from case to case.

BTW: I think the Axanar Peace Mission wasn't that important at all. Kirk's comment sounds more like he was defending politicans than referring specifically to the Axanar Mission.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

newark
Member # 888

- posted      Profile for newark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another chronological fact to take into consideration. In the briefing room, where the captain discusses the fate of Gary Mitchell, Dr. Dehner says Spock knew Mitchell for years which implies that Kirk's friend was aboard the Enterprise for at least two years. So, if the files are those for the USS Enterprise, then Gary Mitchell is twenty five at least and maybe a little older.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Those would be pretty bad records if they weren't updated when their information becomes out of date.

Although (and I'm sure this has come up before), what sort of record has an "age" catagory anyway? The only time that makes sense is if it is some sort of variable field constantly calculated by comparing the person's DOB with the current date. That has to be what the Enterprise was using (unless someone wants to argue that Spock had pulled up paper records), so either Mitchell is 23 at that moment in time, or the record's are silly and wrong.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When the age issue was last discussed, it was suggested that the onset of psi abilities might be closely tied to age. Perhaps all other fields on these record cards (which do look like paper cards, with handwritten entries and all) are updated, but age refers to the age in which the assessment of psi potential was made?

As regards the ST2 Starfleet personnel, I think we should note that even though this was a training cruise, not everybody aboard would be a rookie! When Kirk asks Scotty whether his "cadets" could handle a little training cruise, he omits the fact that perhaps 80% of the crew is actually "veteran" already. And only a fraction of those for whom this trip represents "training" are true officer cadets, while others are enlisted trainees, and some seem to be postgrad officers like Saavik.

And Peter Preston need not be a trainee at all. When Kirk interviews him, he's self-identified as an already "graduated" enlisted man, not as a trainee or cadet of any sort, right? Kirk then asks whether this is his first training cruise, but the "yes" to that does not need to mean he would be the one who is being trained... This could be the first training cruise for McCoy, too, if you catch my drift.

Timo Saloniemi

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Timo:
And Peter Preston need not be a trainee at all. When Kirk interviews him, he's self-identified as an already "graduated" enlisted man, not as a trainee or cadet of any sort, right?

Nope, he identified himself as a Midshipman 1st class.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What? Doesn't he say "Engineer's Mate 1st Class"?

I don't remember ever hearing the word "midshipman" in aired Trek, despite it being an obvious Meyerism that probably was present in the scripts.

Timo Saloniemi

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
Nope, he identified himself as a Midshipman 1st class.

quote:
Originally posted by Timo:
What? Doesn't he say "Engineer's Mate 1st Class"?

-

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Manticore
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Manticore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don'tcha just love contradictions in the same sentence? [Roll Eyes]

Maybe in Starfleet, midshipman for some inane reason refers to both enlisted trainees and officer cadets?

--------------------
Fell deeds await. Now for Wrath... Now for Ruin... and a Red Dawn...
-Theoden, TTT

Lord Vorkosigan does not always get what he wants!

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm guessing Midshipman 1st Class is the designation of 4th year Adcademy cadet (at the time), while Engineer's Mate would just be a position aboard ship.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

machf
Member # 1233

- posted      Profile for machf         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doesn't usually "midshipman" refer to, precisely, a cadet on a training cruise? That would be a rank (below ensign, as he/she hasn't become a commissioned officer yet), as opposed to a position. With "1st class" meaning he's in his last year at the academy.
Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by machf:
Doesn't usually "midshipman" refer to, precisely, a cadet on a training cruise? That would be a rank (below ensign, as he/she hasn't become a commissioned officer yet), as opposed to a position. With "1st class" meaning he's in his last year at the academy.

Exactly.

Midshipman (TOS) - US Naval designation for 'trainees'.
Cadet (TNG) - US Air Force designation for 'trainees'.

Seemingly TOS had it right all along, because midshipman is consistant with the ensign through commodore to admiral designation corresponding to Naval tradition.

Then again we have the problem with Colonel West, whose rank of "colonel" is the US Air Force equilivent of the US Navy Captain.

Finally, reviewing some old Royal/US Navy traditions, with regards to Kirk and Saavik being Lieutenants in the Academy...there is the following example:

"Commissions to lieutenant were limited in the early navy, and a [midshipman] candidate had to wait until vacancies occured. To allow midshipmen to exercise more authority, those who had passed their examinations for lieutenant [at that time the lowest commissioned rank] were called 'passed midshipmen', and could serve as officers in the fleet until a lieutenant's (or, later, master's) vacancy opened. This title disappeared when the rank of ensign was authorized in 1862."

With that in mind, I have a theory. Assuming that both Kirk and Saavik were in the 'command program' and with 250 years of rank tweaking yet to come (and considering how much rank has changed in the last 150 years) perhaps cadets/midshipmen attending 'Command School' were given the Trek/Starfleet equivelant to 'passed midshipmen' and given the rank of Lieutenant while still in the Academy or still attending Command School. Having the rank Ensign in there kind of confuses the issue some, but at least TOS didn't utilize the Lt(j.g.) rank, or did they?

Anyway, thats my take on it. I guess you just have to keep in mind that 250 years of change 'yet to come' could still play a major role in what ranks an imaginary space organization may or may not use.

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

quote:
but at least TOS didn't utilize the Lt(j.g.) rank, or did they?
Yes, it did. Lt. JG Joe Tormolen for example.

--------------------

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TSN:
As to my take on scripts and deleted/cut scenes, hopefully I'll have the new format of my shiplist up and running soon enough, and then you shall see...

Futurama Guy:
No one said Kirk was a lieutenant while still attending the academy. I had hoped my little chronology would have cleared that up. He was an ensign, then presumably promoted to lieutenant junior grade on graduation, and then to lieutenant.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

machf
Member # 1233

- posted      Profile for machf         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm... maybe to attend Command School they must have graduated from the Academy first (IOW, completed the usual 4 years and go for some more), and are appointed a temporary lieutenant rank...
("3rd lieutenant" or something like that would be my guess, based on Starship Troopers...)

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
3rd Lieutenant doesn't really fit in with Trek officer/enlistee rankings.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps