Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » USS Hawk, USS Wellington, T'Pan (Page 2)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: USS Hawk, USS Wellington, T'Pan
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mac duff was'nt real, but man, he sure could take a phaser blast.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
And, considering that MacDuff wasn't even real, anything seen in those records has to be considered suspect.

Well, there are indeed some errors in those records. Crusher is just a Lt. Cmdr., the first name of Troi's Father is Alex, and Ro Laren entered the Academy in 2358 and graduated in 2364 while her bio in "The Next Phase" shows 2358 and 2362.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Conundrum" was one of the first eps of TNG I saw... like in the first handful... so you can guess having McDuff turn up sort of threw me for a while! [Smile]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Woodside Kid
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for Woodside Kid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MarianLH:
And Star Trek has consistantly referred to Academy attendees as cadets, not ensigns.

Originally posted by Mark Nguyen:
*cough*Kirk on the Republic*cough*

Maybe, maybe not. The dialogue from "Court-Martial" states that Kirk and Finney became friends while Kirk was a midshipman. Kirk then says that some years later they were assigned to the same ship. The dialogue never mentions that Republic was a training ship, so it's just as likely (if not more probable) that this event occurred after Kirk graduated.

--------------------
The difference between genius and idiocy? Genius has its limits.

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've seen Resurrection just once or twice a long time ago (though I really like Bareil the episode was a real stinker). In what context did Worf tell that story and what was it all about? I mean, was the whole dialogue cut or just that part?

The Wellington-bit on the other hand sounds familiar. I know they did that OPS-smalltalk often where they dropped some ship names, but I seem to remember that Kira mentioned the Wellington once.

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
RE: Resurrection...

Anyway, essentially it went as follows:

Dax and Worf had dinner with Kira and MirrorBariel.

So at dinner, Bariel is telling a story about how he stole a mekleth from the klingon guard and escaped from the prison cell he was in the day he was supposed to be executed. Worf thinks the story is a crock of shit, no warrior would ever get his mekleth theived while its on his body. Then dessert comes out, Bariel offers to cut the cake...with what-do-ya-know?! Worfs mekleth! (Bold=Cut from what was aired)

quote:

WORF (magnanimous)
Obviously, Bareil is a better thief than I gave him credit for. (grabbing a flask) More bloodwine?

BAREIL
Why not.

WORF
Now I will tell you one of my stories.

BAREIL
And I suppose every word of it will be true.

WORF
Mostly.

Worf finishes pouring the bloodwine, and begins telling his story to Bareil.

WORF
I was seventeen and serving as an ensign on the U.S.S. Hawk. We were two days out of port when this anomaly hit us --

As Worf goes on with his tale, Dax leans over to Kira.

DAX (sotto voce; re: Bareil)
I'll say this for him, he might not be as spiritual as Vedek Bareil -- but he's a lot more fun.

Kira smiles... she might not agree fully with Dax's statement, but she's happy to know her friends like her "date."

So that is that.

Additionally, just because Worfs bio wasn't seen on screen...and I'll admit I haven't seen the episode in ages, it doesnt mean one was seen offscreen. If Okuda wrote the Chronology (v1.0) and made the display, he of all people would know what Worfs bio said...but again, I haven't seeen the episode in ages.

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It seems the context of Worf's story casts a shadow of doubt on the veracity of its contents... [Smile]

But really, I wouldn't mind Worf entering the Academy at 13.

Timo Saloniemi

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Woodside Kid:
Maybe, maybe not. The dialogue from "Court-Martial" states that Kirk and Finney became friends while Kirk was a midshipman. Kirk then says that some years later they were assigned to the same ship. The dialogue never mentions that Republic was a training ship, so it's just as likely (if not more probable) that this event occurred after Kirk graduated.

But Kirk referred to being a Lieutenant aboard the the Farragut as his "first assignment" out of the Academy in "Obsession." Thus, his previous Ensign-Republic assignment took place while he was still there.

The Chronology contains a note about this apparent confusion, citing that it is not impossible (though uncommon) for cadets to receive commissions to such low ranks as Ensign while still attending contemporary naval academies. For what that's worth.

As long as Worf said "ensign" and not some higher rank like lieutenant, he would only be covering the same ground Kirk had.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

MarianLH
Member # 1102

- posted      Profile for MarianLH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Originally posted by The Mighty Monkey of Mim:
quote:
As long as Worf said "ensign" and not some higher rank like lieutenant, he would only be covering the same ground Kirk had.
In his freshman year???

Marian

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
But Kirk referred to being a Lieutenant aboard the the Farragut as his "first assignment" out of the Academy in "Obsession."
IIRC he said that the Farragut was his first deep-space assignment and that Garrovick was his commanding officer from the day he left the academy. So maybe Garrovick first commanded USS Republic and Kirk served as an ensign aboard that ship and later Garrovick was given command of USS Farragut and Kirk also transfered to that vessel.
Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unfortunately TOS didn't have or consider that kind of continuity in its writing.

Anyway, Worf could have easily been given some sort of field commission like Weasley..or Nog. Assuming he didn't start the Academy at a younger age...which in itself is an assumption.

Weasley was 15 when he first took the Entrance Exams and was at the same time an "acting Ensign". He was later field promoted to Ensign by the time he was 17.

Referring to the latter, Nog was a Cadet-3rd Class and promoted to an Ensign aboard the Defiant. He was likely much older than 18, but that is beside the point.

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whether the Republic was a training ship and "part of the Academy", or an unrelated ship that happened to be captained by Garrovick, I think we have no pressing reason to assume Kirk got his commission before he graduated. We already know for sure that he served in the Academy while a lieutenant, as an instructor for Gary Mitchell's class - and since his postgrad Academy presence is thus established, the problem of Kirk being an Ensign while "at the Academy" becomes, well, academic.

Timo Saloniemi

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A cadet being an ensign I can understand, but wasn't Savvik a Lieutenant while she was a cadet for the training cruise on the Enterprise in ST2?

B.J.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, let me see if I understand this... This argument is over which of two pieces of information that were cut out of their respective episodes has more veracity?
Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

quote:
Originally posted by B.J.:
A cadet being an ensign I can understand, but wasn't Savvik a Lieutenant while she was a cadet for the training cruise on the Enterprise in ST2?

B.J.

Maybe she graduated from Starfleet Academy as a science officer, served aboard a starship and then went back to Academy for command training.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps