Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » TNG in HD (Page 13)

This topic comprises 29 pages: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  ...  27  28  29   
Author Topic: TNG in HD
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Guardian 2000:
I'm just pleased that we'll have Elizabeth Dennehy in HD.

How anyone can find Brian Dennehy in drag is beyond the bounds of even my jaded inernet experiences.
Thinking on it, she might be the only Trek female I've never seen a Photoshop job of- I mean, shit, I've seen some nut use the Salt Vampire, but not Shelby. That's pretty sad.

Plus, there must have been major character revamps to her when Patrick Stewart decided to stay on cast and Shelby's role was eliminated- they changed her from "total cunt" to "really dedicated and focused on the mission".

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
Plus, there must have been major character revamps to her when Patrick Stewart decided to stay on cast and Shelby's role was eliminated- they changed her from "total cunt" to "really dedicated and focused on the mission".

I dunno, look at that first scene with her and Riker in Engineering in part 2. She hadn't gotten the first officer job yet, and was still dropping not-so-subtle hints that she wanted it. But at the same time, she'd kind of toned down her aggressive attitude, which you could say was due to the crisis with the Borg, or from getting to know the rest of the crew in action. Either way, I'd call that character development. Maybe too much of a change, but it's reasonable IMO.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

o2
Member # 907

- posted      Profile for o2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was it really a likely option for the writers that Picard 'stayed' with the Borg? I was under the impression that Steward's contract was at least valid for three more seaons.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the opt out was for Picard to have been killed when the Enterprise's deflector weapon destroyed the Borg ship- leaving part 2 as an aftermath episode and placing Shelby as Riker's new first officer.

quote:
Originally posted by o2:
Was it really a likely option for the writers that Picard 'stayed' with the Borg? I was under the impression that Steward's contract was at least valid for three more seaons.

I had heard that Stewart decided to stay on after the outpouring of fan support after BOBW pt 1 aired.

If you look at Shelby's charcater, it's a drastic change in tone between part one and two- she's actaully likable in her parting scene, whereas she's unprofessional and really kinda clueless about the whole 'leadership" part of her role as Lt. Commander...but I guess promotion at a starbase or on earth would yield less impressive results than officers with actual field experience leading people.

o2
Member # 907

- posted      Profile for o2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, I will pay more attention to the behaviour of Shelby when I watch BoBW next time.
o2
Member # 907

I was now able to do my homework. I was a little bit surprised to see that most of the show was about Shelby and Riker (from a character point of view).

Did someone noticed the bad acting of W. Frakes when he saw that his future command, the USS Melbourne, was destroyed? I think this was the worst performace of Frakes in the complete series.

Of course watching BoBW was fun although there are no surprises in it. I kind of hoped to see mayby a new ship in the graveyard scene, but nope, nothing new there.

The documentary was interessing and the raw material of the graveyard scene allows a somewhat better look at the USS Buran. Did anybody else yet saw the documentary?

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From the interviews on the S3 blu ray set, Patrick Stewart was apparently really concerned Picard would be killed off as Gene Roddenberry apparently HATED Patrick Stewart.

Fun note: Ira Steven Behr's "Captain Holiday" originally had Picard going on vacation to Risa and going to a holosuite that promised to face the user with their worst fear: in this case, for Picard, it was that he would be promoted to Admiral and have to turn the Enterprise over to Riker. Everybody loved it, but Roddenberry shot it down and demanded that Picard get laid instead.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The documentary was interessing and the raw material of the graveyard scene allows a somewhat better look at the USS Buran. Did anybody else yet saw the documentary?
What do you mean by "raw material?" Do you mean better quality scenes from the original footage of the graveyard, or scenes we haven't seen before?

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

o2
Member # 907

There is a breakdown of the first graveyard scene into its separate elements: light pass, matte pass, beauty pass. The beauty pass is a few seconds longer than that what we can see in the final product, giving us a full look at the USS Buran (in contrary to the scene in the episonde, where we only get a glimpse at the warp necelles). The saucer section of the USS Buran is severly damaged but you can see that it is 'Galaxy' style.

There is another breakdown of the scene where the Enterprise is entering the field of debris where the USS Buran is visible as well, but in another orientation. Since in this shoot the Buran is far apart, you cannot see so much detail.

Regarding the quality issue: the quality of this breakdown is more or less the same as in the final episode. It is better than the SD version, but not as good as I would have hoped for...

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Malnurtured Snay:
From the interviews on the S3 blu ray set, Patrick Stewart was apparently really concerned Picard would be killed off as Gene Roddenberry apparently HATED Patrick Stewart.

Fun note: Ira Steven Behr's "Captain Holiday" originally had Picard going on vacation to Risa and going to a holosuite that promised to face the user with their worst fear: in this case, for Picard, it was that he would be promoted to Admiral and have to turn the Enterprise over to Riker. Everybody loved it, but Roddenberry shot it down and demanded that Picard get laid instead.

Both of the above seem weird to me, because I remember Stewart describing the loss-of-a-father feeling when GR died insofar as the "who's going to take care of me now" feeling, as well as saying Risa was part of his request for more sex and shooting for the Captain, implying a purpose-built episode.

No biggie, just odd to see the distinction among different views at different times.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The original concept for "Captain's Holiday" seemed pretty amazing -- but it got shot down and basically became what Stewart had been asking for: sex and violence.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

I dont think facing your greatest fear would make for much of a holiday, really.
If I went on holiday and it was a police state run by a monarchy of the Bush family, I'd ask for my money back.

A better idea for the whole "Face your fears" gag would be a manadtory Starfleet psyche evaluation before Picard could return to command of the motherfucking flagship of the fleet.
Maybe they could have had a Betazoid shrink working with him on a Holodeck as a therapy thing and Picard cold draw on his melding with Sarek to remain calm and rational while really confronting the damage he caused and the lives lost at W359.

I definitely hate the notion that Riker in command is Picard's big fear- fuck's sake, Picard was this great mentor to Riker- practically pushing him out of the nest in BOBW Pt. 1

Hell, I'd really have liked to see Riker made into a celebrity- he was captain when the enterprise saved the entire fucking world. you'd think he'd at least have a fansite or something. Maybe a holiday or high school named after him... [Wink]

Now if Picard's fear was having to work with Admiral Nechayev every day, I'd toally understand- she was bitch from concentrate.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Behr's original concept for Captain's Holiday > the Captain's Holiday we got.
Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
quote:
Originally posted by Guardian 2000:
I'm just pleased that we'll have Elizabeth Dennehy in HD.

How anyone can find Brian Dennehy in drag is beyond the bounds of even my jaded inernet experiences.
Brian Dennehy does not rock Spandex like she does, sorry. Let's just say that this scene in HD on the big screen gave me a new appreciation:

http://tng.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/s3/3x26/bestofbothworldsone054.jpg

http://tng.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/s3/3x26/bestofbothworldsone055.jpg

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Man, were ALL women in the '80s on the Itty Bitty Titty Committee?

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

This topic comprises 29 pages: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  ...  27  28  29   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps