Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Wolf 359 - the next round (Page 21)

This topic comprises 26 pages: 1  2  3  ...  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26   
Author Topic: Wolf 359 - the next round
Daniel
Member # 453

- posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Peregrinus, you too have AutoCAD? Whoohoo! Drafting up a second set of plans wouldn't bug me. I'd love to see them when you're done.

I would like to point out though, that the Enterprise didn't *track* the Reliant in the Nebula, she just made some damn lucky guesses and turns. Which just so happened to bring her to the right place at the right time. Remember the effects of the nebula were supposed to make the sensors and shields inoperable. Both ships were blind and defenseless. "The odds are even," Spock said.

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Before the nebula, Dan. Just after Spock beams Kirk & Co. up from the Genesis Cave, we see a tactical plot on the main viewer of the two ships chasing each other around the planet Regulus (the nebula was named Mutara).

--Jonah

------------------
"It's obvious I'm dealing with a moron..."

--Col. Edwards, ROBOTECH

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Uh, Peregrines, some very evident faults in your logic:

1) Where has it ever been said that Oberths are unarmed? In fact, when have we even seen them in a fight?

2) How do you know the Shepard is an Oberth?

3) The last digit of the registry on the Nebula-Melbourne is unreadible (which is why I created a topic giving the idea that TPTB may have put the model in to represent the wreckage of the Bellerephon, who's registry has the same first 4 digits as the Melbourne).

4) It is utterly IMPOSSIBLE to read ANYTHING off the Nebula-Melbourne in either episodes, no matter how great your TV or VCR is...

5) Since when does the Pegasus and Crazy Horse HAVE to be a Cheyenne Class? Just because the Pegasus had a graphic with 4 nacelles, it simply MUST be a Cheyenne? We discussed this, and an idea popped up that the representation may be for a new form of nacelle OR for halves of the nacelles. And the Crazy Horse could be whatever class TPTB wanted it to be, yet they used Excelsior, so the Crazy Horse IS an Excelsior.

6) Of course they don't put seperate registries and names on all the models, because they weren't going to do anything except sit there and look destroyed! They weren't meant to be read! I mean, seriously, do you want us to put U.S.S. Alka-Selsior on our starship lists just because they didn't want to put a REAL name on there?

7) The plaque from the World Tour not only has a lot of mistakes, but it also isn't created by anyone we know who actually weighs any influence on the Trek universe. If you add the plaque to the Trek Universe, you might as well add every single Trek-related publication known to exist.

8) From an earlier post, you said "ILM can do no wrong". Trust me, anyone can do no wrong. There is only 1 Excelsior in Spacedock in Star Trek IV, the good ol' NX-2000.

9) The Reliant's sensors may have been damaged worse then Enterprises. Khan probably didn't want to put power to sensors, so he concetrated on what he would need to kill Kirk.

10) God no.....it's done......

------------------
"No, 3 & 6 are mandatory, so you only have to do them if you want"

Alex, fellow classmate, trying to explain an assignment (2/2/01)

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1) While some have said we can see an Oberth firing a phaser at the Borg in First Contact, I have yet to spot it. Every instance I have ever seen an Oberth in a battle situation, it was getting blown up or trashed beyond usefulness. Add to that the fact that the filming miniature has no identifiable weaponry -- even though the Excelsior built by the same people has clearly-modelled phaser banks and several torpedo launchers. While nothing and no one has ever straight-out said "Oberths are unarmed", it fits the available data better than saying they ARE armed.

2) Behind-the-scenes info for ST IV.

3) Even though the small nacelles are visible on the Melbourne wreck, and the Bellerophon had a blatant wedge?

4) I didn't say I could. I just said that now that I knew what I was looking for, I could spot it easily. And, that were we dealing with film stock instead of the resolution limitations of both the videotape the footage was filmed on, AND later recorded on, as well as the limitations of conventional television resolution... it WOULD be legible.

5) *wank wank wank* As if TPTB actually made a well-researched decision in either of those cases. If they had, they would have almost CERTAINLY used different names for the ships in question. In both cases, it was determined that the VFX budget couldn't handle building a proper filming miniature of a Cheyenne-class ship, but not before the groundwork was laid in the episode. In the case of the Crazy Horse, they just went with the stock "random-Excelsior-rendezvousing-with-the-Enterprise" footage, and in the case of the Pegasus, the Ambassador miniature had been mislaid, and the most convenient one at hand was the venerable Oberth (this from conversations on the subject with Mike). And in the end, it wasn't deemed important enough to go back and fix the stuff in the principle photography footage that used the Cheyenne-class-derived references. Not even with overdubbing in the case of the relatively-easy-to-fudge Crazy Horse. Like the Constitution-to-Constellation fix in "The Battle". So we end up with an Excelsior with a registry far higher than Mike intended Excelsiors to have. Rather than say "we made a VFX decision that contradicted what I said earlier", he just quietly changed the entries and listings for the Crazy Horse from Cheyenne-class (Encyclopedia Vol. 1) to Excelsior-class (everything since) without changing the never-actually-seen registry. *grump*

6) They put names and registries on all the models they actually BUILT for the scene (Buran, Chekov, Melbourne, Kyushu, Ahwahnee, Princeton, Firebrand). They just didn't do anything to modify the various study models they tossed in to pad the background.

7) How does it have a lot of mistakes? If you add those ships to the ones we already knew, we end up with 42 total, which fits amazingly well. I also don't know WHO created the plaque for the World Tour. But I'll make a point to ask Mike the next time I talk to him if he knows, unless one of you guys can tell me.

8) Maybe yes, maybe no. It's irrelevent to this thread, and impossible to resolve without actually talking to the VFX crew.

9) Good point, but we have no real way of knowing either way. But considering neither the bridge sensor dome nor the main sensor array on the bottom of the saucer were actually hit, I doubt it.

10) Zuh...?

--Jonah

------------------

--Col. Edwards, ROBOTECH

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oberths in FC

Bernd sent me a few months ago this picture of the Nebula-Melbourne.
And after zooming the pic of the model on his site you can read a "3".

------------------
"Second star to the right, and then straight on till morning."

[This message has been edited by Fitz (edited February 12, 2001).]

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
About the second Excelsior at Spacedock in ST4:

Sure, we saw a ship broadside to the spacedoors, and sure, the ship was at such an angle that we couldn't easily read the NX-2000 on her hull. And I agree there's no reason to specifically claim that Starfleet didn't have two or three Excelsiors in its arsenal at that time.

But wouldn't the spacedock have several doors? At least four of them, probably, or if the exterior views do not support this, then three or two. That would easily account for the observed orientation of the supposedly powerless ship.

As for the Melbournes, either we have to accept two identically registered and named ships (since the two models both were thus labeled), or then ignore one set of registries. If we choose the latter option, the Nebula registry is easier to twist into something else because a) that's what the Encyclopedia wants us to do and b) that registry was NEVER seen completely intact on screen, while the Excelsior registry was seen for a brief moment.

So switching the last number of the Nebula into an 8 should be easy (the ventral side was never onscreen and even the actual model number could be reinterpreted because of all the damage). Switching the name would require more effort, though, since it was relatively undamaged - happily, it could not be resolved in the episode, and I very, very much doubt even a DVD would show it more clearly. So USS Wellhorne (NCC-62048) it is.

Timo Saloniemi

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, the problem with that is, the USS Bellerephon is actually NCC-62048, and was in "Emissary" battling the Borg. My theory was, TPTB just wanted to put a damaged ship in the battle, and so they used the Nebula model, even though it had the mico-nacelles instead of the pod, because they knew we wouldn't see it (hell, it took us this long to figure out it was even there). Therefore, disregarding the micro-nacelles/pod issue, the Nebula model could be Bellerephon.

------------------
"No, 3 & 6 are mandatory, so you only have to do them if you want"

Alex, fellow classmate, trying to explain an assignment (2/2/01)

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
God dammit.

I just watched BoBW pt. 1.

The Excelsior is not specificly said to be the Excelsior. Shit. Now the Melbourne is an Excelsior theory looks more plausable to me, except for one thing (Hanson on the older-style bridge, presumably the Excelsior, which is then sorta-identified to be the Melbourne, by the pause given...)

ARGH!!!

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 6.27 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with four eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Forum Member Who Shall Be Nameless. 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

This is why I'm pissed at their laziness. How easy would it have been to eliminate all this dissention with one line of dialogue, or even the addition of two words to some other line...? Why does Mike refuse to change the registry of a ship along with the class to make it fit things better? GRAAAR!!

Oh. Jeff? We've only had one reference to a ship named Excelsior in current era, and that was on Deep Space Nine. If you want to get technical, that footage was of the Enterprise rendezvousing with the Hood, which was originally filmed for "Encounter at Farpoint" and used for every "Enterprise rendezvousing with a ship (always an Excelsior-class for some reason)" shot since. Point is, it wasn't referred to AT ALL in either episode. Nor was the Melbourne referred to as Hanson's flagship during the battle. Nothing wrong with him commanding things from the bridge of his Excelsior -- whatever she was named. And after "Emissary", we went back and read all sorts of new meaning into pre-existing reaction shots of Shelby and Riker to the carnage. At the time, the only reason for the pause before Shelby said "the Melbourne" and Riker's following downcast gaze was because both of them knew that was supposed to be Riker's ship and there may be a good chance that if he'd accepted command, he'd be out there dead along with his ship. Revisionist history makes me ill.

--Jonah

------------------

--Col. Edwards, ROBOTECH

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"How easy would it have been to eliminate all this dissention with one line of dialogue, or even the addition of two words to some other line...? Why does Mike refuse to change the registry of a ship along with the class to make it fit things better? GRAAAR!!"

Because, ultimately, their intention was to create a good hour of TV, and not to please the three obsessive fanboys in the world who actually give a fuck about numbers on a model.

Television production is hectic. You spend your time on things that matter.

------------------
"...screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!" - Omega.

Irony ensues.

Free Jeff K

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And there are so many people involved that messages probably don't flow quite as smoothly as one would hope. Here's a possible scenario involving well-meaning and detail-minded people:

Legato: "Hi Mike, we're gonna redo the Wolf 359 fight, you know, the Borg one - do you remember what ships you used back in 'BoBW'?"

Okuda: "Sure, here's the list of names. I'll dig up model details when I have time."

Legato goes to do his storyboards, and phones Okuda again.

Legato: "This is gonna be big. Here we cut up this USS Melbourne in a close-up, so that people finally see what happened to the ship Riker turned down."

Okuda: "Cool. Here are the models, stored ever since TNG."

Legato: "What? The Melbourne is a dinky kitbash? We can't film THAT!"

Okuda: "Okay, no prob, use one of the bigger models for that Melbourne close-up - it's easy enough to change the name of this little Nebula class thing to, uh, USS Bellerephon, and the rego can be changed easily, too. I'll just swap the last digit or something. Yeah, she's gonna be NCC-62408 now. I like to keep these things nice and orderly, you know."

So Legato goes to film a scene where a Melbourne of Excelsior class is cut up, but his notes now also read "USS Bellerophon, Nebula class, NCC-62048 - present in battle", and the photographer goes "Nebula class, what was that... Oh, yeah, THIS box! Hmm, it's big all right. Currently named the Sutherland. Greg! Paint this over and rig it up for shots, willya?"

Another version:

Legato: "Mike, I need a list of ships present at Wolf 359. Joe, round up the models used in 'BoBW'. Hmm, Melbourne... I'll use that one in a close-up."

Legato: "Thanks, Joe. Oops, the Melbourne model isn't good enough for us - I say we use this big Excelsior model in the close-up instead. Dig that model up, Bob."

And the team goes to film the part of the storyboard that still says "USS Melbourne (NCC-62403) gets cut up in a close-up", and starts by asking the modelmaker to repaint the name of the Excelsior ship... Even though Legato no longer really wanted the close-up ship to be the Melbourne, he forgot to say he DIDN'T want it to be.

There are plenty of other likely scenarios that would similarly involve Paramount employees who are also Trek fans and somewhat obsessive about details, yet still manage to get it all wrong. And then there are the even more likely scenarios where not everybody involved is a fanatical Trekkie...

Timo Saloniemi

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought that just having Okuda make the extra effort to name and register all the models shows how devoted he was to the process at the time. You're all correct, it's not like the viewing audience would have even seen any of it. Hell, he didn't even have to make models. He could have just gone through his kitchen trash, found old can or coffee cup lids, and filmed them as the "fleet wreckage."

------------------
Star Trek: Legacy

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Um. I think we've had a couple of references ...

First, the Hood is identified by name in both "Encounter at Farpoint" and "Tin-Man" and seen both times to be an Excelsior.

In DS9, the Lakota is clearly also an Excelsior.

How many Excelsiors does Starfleet have, anyway?

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 6.27 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with four eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Forum Member Who Shall Be Nameless. 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Hood was SEEN in both of those eps??? I have to check them again, souns lovely.

Shouldn't this thread be locked and succeded? "The next, next round"?

------------------
Here lies a toppled god,
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.

-Tleilaxu Epigram

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is gonna be all over the place:

To be fair, there were a couple of times where the Enterprise was seen flying along with an Ambassador. One of the Barclay episodes, I think.

Although TNG does seem to show that Starfleet as about 5 billion Excelsiors.

There's no good reason to say that Starfleet didn't have a couple of Excelsiors by STIV? Or that Starfleet was leaning towards Excelsior's at the time? Buh? STIV was about 3 months after STIII. In STIII, the Excelsior was quite clearly a prototype. Not just a new-class, like the Galaxy was, but a "great experiment". I'd say that Starfleet would have waited to see if it was successful before building any others.

And to whoever said that Future Imperfect "WAS season 3, thank you!". It's season 4.

------------------
"And Mojo was hurt and I would have kissed his little boo boo but then I realized he was a BAD monkey so I KICKED HIM IN HIS FACE!"
-Bubbles

This topic comprises 26 pages: 1  2  3  ...  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps