Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Wolf 359 - the next round (Page 19)

This topic comprises 26 pages: 1  2  3  ...  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  24  25  26   
Author Topic: Wolf 359 - the next round
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Constitution I WISH! "No, we'll send one botched constitution-design, one scrapped Excelsior-template, three scrapped Galaxy-concepts and the Saratoga. Against the most intelligent tactical ship ever.
And let's put 80% power to shields, 19% to environmental controls, so as to breathe REALLY fresh air, and 1% to phasers, and we'll just hope their disruptor energy runs out before our shields do.
And remember, NO TORPEDOS! It wouldn't be good sportsmanship."

"Well, that's it then. Attack pattern...hmmm...ALPHA! That'll have them confused."

------------------
Here lies a toppled god,
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.

-Tleilaxu Epigram

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dammit, JeffKardde, I thought you were going to resurrect this thread 'cause you had more info about the Wolf 359 ships, but instead you're talkin' about the Dominion.

@#@$%&*@!!!

(just kidding )

Although...the one year anniversary of the start of this thread is tomorrow...
------------------
Star Trek: Legacy

[This message has been edited by Dukhat (edited February 07, 2001).]

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Assuming we want to preserve the notion from the TNG tech manual about six Galaxies being constructed originally, there may or may not be one to spare for Hanson to command.

It can't be:
Enterprise (Like, duh)
Odyssey
Yamato
Venture
Galaxy
Challanger (If we want to assume, from its registry, that it was part of the original set.)

That's six ships. But there is one other. The Trinculo. I can't seem to remember where it's from. That is, I know it appeared on Okuda's infamous convention tour (or think I know), but what episode was it supposedly from?

Anyway, again if we want to preserve the tech manual notion, it seems that there are not any Galaxies to spare. However, we do have the six partially constructed ships, also from the manual. It is possible one of these was put together as a replacement for the Yamato, which would give us one unnamed vessel free for Hanson to get blown up in.

Of course, we could just as easily say that one or more of the known ships are not original build Galaxies at all. Or we could just toss out the whole six ship paradigm completely.

------------------
I will shout until they know what I mean.
--
Neutral Milk Hotel
Read three (three!) chapters of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Then, go insane!

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can I inquire how we can rule out the Galaxy and Venture?

Enterprise-D is obvious, she was too far away.

Odyssey is obvious too, as far as I know, no ships escaped Wolf 359, so if she'd been there, she'd be dead (and we need her alive to die at the "hands" of the Jem'Hadar four years later)

Challenger is obvious too, for her appearance in the VOY ep and the reasons listed above.

The Yamato's already gone to that great Starship Junkyard in the Sky.

But ... we've no info on the Galaxy ('cept that she was the proto-type) or the Venture (which I don't recall being mentioned at all). Why couldn't it have been one of these two?

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 6.83 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Forum Member Who Shall Be Nameless. 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Both the Galaxy and the Venture were in various episodes of DS9. The Trinculo is in the same boat as the Leeds; it's what the Galaxy studio model was last known to be labelled.

------------------
"Lately I've noticed that everyone seems to trust me. It's really quite unnerving. I'm still trying to get used to it."
- Garak, "Empok Nor"

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, I remember now. Worf is offered the Tac post on the Venture in WotW, right? Um. How do we know the Venture was one of the original six?

And, I got the impression that Hanson was on the bridge of a ship -- I assumed the Melbourne. I take it this was not in fact the case?

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

[This message has been edited by JeffKardde (edited February 07, 2001).]

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, Hanson's ship had Movie-era graphics (notably the old Red Alert graphic). Galaxy class ships shouldn't have those.

------------------
"No, 3 & 6 are mandatory, so you only have to do them if you want"

Alex, fellow classmate, trying to explain an assignment (2/2/01)

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Maybe Hanson's an old fashioned kinda' guy!

So, what evidence is there that a Galaxy-Class was even AT Wolf 359? I mean, come to think of it, even if Hanson had been on one, do you think he woulda been on the saucer section's ready room? Presumably, the ship would have a large civilian population aboard, so the saucer should have been seperated (unless Keogh, jr. was aboard) -- so Hanson, if anything, should have been on a Stardrive Section Ready Room.

But I digress.

I'd agree that he was probably on the Melbourne during the crisis, which would explain the older style bridge design -- the Excelsior-Class is predominantly movie.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
However if we are to assume the Melborne was Excelsior class with the 60000 range reg number, she would have been too modern to have the movie-style display graphics. Instead she would have had the TNG-style graphics.

------------------
[Bart's looking for his dog.]
Groundskeeper Willy: Yeah, I bought your mutt - and I 'ate 'im! [Bart gasps.] I 'ate 'is little face, I 'ate 'is guts, and I 'ate the way 'e's always barkin'! So I gave 'im to the church.
Bart: Ohhh, I see... you HATE him, so you gave him to the church.
Groundskeeper Willy: Aye. I also 'ate the mess he left on me rug. [Bart stares.] Ya heard me!

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In which ep's did the Galaxy and Yamato feature, in TNG? Must get them.

------------------
Here lies a toppled god,
A narrow and a tall one.

-Tleilaxu Epigram

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Galaxy: none of them (unless that was her outside the windows in "Booby Trap" holodeck scenes).

Yamato: "Where Silence Has Lease" (fake ship created by an alien), "Contagion" (real ship, destroyed in the episode - Captain Varley, Science Officer Ramsay, IIRC).

The other three Galaxies mentioned by name outside TNG were the late Odyssey (DS9 "Jem'Hadar"), Venture (DS9 "Way of the Warrior") and Challenger (VOY "Timeless") - and IIRC the Galaxy was spotted in the battle of Chin'toka in "Tears of the Prophets". The rest of the Galaxies seen didn't probably even have names and registries on their hulls.

Timo Saloniemi

Nim
Member # 205

Wasn't there some with black backs in there? If I were to change the Galaxy-look to a more modern, revised look I would also do something along those lines. Does anyone have any pictures of these "blackbacks"?
I can't take screencaps from the eps...

------------------
Here lies a toppled god,
A narrow and a tall one.

-Tleilaxu Epigram

[This message has been edited by Nimrod (edited February 08, 2001).]

Right
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
What's the refit rate of an Excelsior?

The Melbourne could have had a refit twenty-years earlier and still been performing up to specs. The Ent-C graphics weren't that much different so that idea might work, yes?

IP: Logged
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think there are some good shots of the modified Galaxy class over at Pedro's.

------------------
I will shout until they know what I mean.
--
Neutral Milk Hotel
Read three (three!) chapters of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Then, go insane!

nx001a
Member # 291

- posted      Profile for nx001a     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The yamato was seen in contagion and where silence has lease. The Galaxy was never seen in TNG only in DS9.

------------------
"We set sail on this new sea because their is new knowledge to be gained and new rights to be won" John F Kennedy

members.aol.com/mfwan/index.htm

This topic comprises 26 pages: 1  2  3  ...  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  24  25  26   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps